What is your subjective and personal definition of art in figure skating? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

What is your subjective and personal definition of art in figure skating?

11 Pirouettes…
“This isn’t ice skating rink: it’s impossible”

This is a great example of "is it art or is it athletic prowess?" The reason that an ice skater can spin on ice is because ice is slippery -- it is the closest we can get to a frictionless surface. If you construct a dance floor that minimizes friction, then a dancer can do it, too.

The dancer in the video did 11 pirouettes. Lucinda Ruh did 115 continuous revolutions, showing the dirrerece between the two surfaces. After that, it comes down to body control, strength and balance -- the hallmarks of spor and the things that we expect of and admire in athletes. Then posture and carriage, grace of movement, pleasing upper body positions, performing to music -- I guess that's where the art comes in.

Last edited:

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
This is a great example of "is it art or is it athletic prowess?" The reason that an ice skater can spin on ice is because ice is slippery -- it is the closest we can get to a frictionless surface. If you construct a dance floor that minimizes friction, then a dancer can do it, too.

The dancer in the video did 11 pirouettes. Lucinda Ruh did 115 continuous revolutions, showing the dirrerece between the two surfaces. After that, it comes down to body control, strength and balance -- the hallmarks of spor and the things that we expect of and admire in athletes. Then posture and carriage, grace of movement, pleasing upper body positions, performing to music -- I guess that's where the art comes in.
Yes I like this interpretation..
Also must Art encompass the concept of Duende as Lorca defines it? I tend to think not at least in my experience. Art can be emotionally cold, stunning yet held at arm’s length. I recall performances lthst affected me this way.. but Duende cannot be ignored; it embraces the viewer and performer together as one. Is it beyond art? Is there such a thing? Duende surpasses effort..

Last edited by a moderator:

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
In this case, figure skating choreographer Marina Zoueva was directly inspired by a piece of art, the sculpture "The Kiss" by Auguste Rodin, in the creation of this program for Gordeeva and Grinkov. She said, "If this sculpture came to life, maybe this is what could happen." I'm including multiple videos because of the various camera angles. The outcome is very moving indeed.

Mathematician

Pilgrim on a long journey
Medalist
You can buy a Kamilla Valieva Girl on a Ball sticker for your thermos bottle for US$1.93. Scroll down for Trusova, Kostornia, Medvedeva. Akatyeva stickers, etc. :)

I think theres probably a lot of skating merchandise on that site. Its a site where anyone can upload any design and they'll print it on demand whenever someone orders. I'm sure plenty of skating fans have uploaded designs.

icewhite

Record Breaker
I forgot to say Shmuratko's last programs are art, in my eyes, especially since it seemed to be more important to him to send the message through his skating than getting the points. And I think for every viewer that was the more important part of them.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I forgot to say Shmuratko's last programs are art, in my eyes, especially since it seemed to be more important to him to send the message through his skating than getting the points. And I think for every viewer that was the more important part of them.
Art or political statement?