What's wrong with Shoma Uno this season? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What's wrong with Shoma Uno this season?

Gabby30

On the Ice
He has been consistent and even challenging the top in the world the last two seasons. Is something wrong? He is falling all over himself.

Consistent? He never was consistent. It was obvious for many years that his bad technique is going to become a real problem. And the judges might finally look at what he is doing and not score him based on reputation

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Consistent? He never was consistent. It was obvious for many years that his bad technique is going to become a real problem. And the judges might finally look at what he is doing and not score him based on reputation

he doesn't have a 'bad technique'. He has some jumps that are worse and some that are better, like every skater in the world.
His 3A and 4T are pretty stunning.
Men have always been inconsistent, moreover, they have some 'down' periods.
Look at Boyang, he's an amazing jumper, but he also struggled during the past season.
I believe Shoma will figure things out for himself. He's a young boy, if he wants to go without a coach, he should, whether or not it affects his performances.

Well, I am one of those fans that has always been worried about Shoma's jump technique because I found it so dangerous for his health. I was so angry with any adults around him that were happy for the good result without thinking about his long-term professional life. Was it so hard to see the amount of pressure he was putting on his knees and hips to save the jumps? Point-wise there was nothing wrong with that but how long he could sustain doing this? I think the answer is clear now.

Personally, I feel this season is not a bad thing for him. Let the guy, for once, not be worried or feel responsible for Japan's 3 spot in the worlds. Let him seek his own path and find his own way. Let him find a team that guide him towards a long-lasting career.