Which Edea to buy? | Golden Skate

Which Edea to buy?

Noki

Spectator
Hello!

I'm an 18-year-old skater, I'm 5'5 and weigh around 136 pounds. Neither my body nor my feet will grow anymore. I've done basic skating every winter since I was 3, and started figure skating in February 2022. I have all my single jumps and I'm currently working on single axel and doubles. I'm quite muscular and strong, I have powerful jumps (with sometimes heavy landings) and overall skating(I have strong knees and ankles) thanks to a very sporty childhood. My current skates are Jackson Evo, and they're now broken down and creased, and don't provide any support anymore. I have been looking at some Edea models. I've considered buying the Chorus, but I'm not sure since they apparently break down fast and wouldn't be a long-time investment. Would the Concertos or even Ice Flys be any good for me? I figure they would last me a lot longer and also save me money in the long run. I'm open to other brands, but I kind of have my heart set on Edeas. Also I actually went to my local skate shop to try on Edea Choruses and they felt comfortable and supportive. Any help is very much appreciated! <3

// Noki

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello!

I'm an 18-year-old skater, I'm 5'5 and weigh around 136 pounds. Neither my body nor my feet will grow anymore. I've done basic skating every winter since I was 3, and started figure skating in February 2022. I have all my single jumps and I'm currently working on single axel and doubles. I'm quite muscular and strong, I have powerful jumps (with sometimes heavy landings) and overall skating(I have strong knees and ankles) thanks to a very sporty childhood. My current skates are Jackson Evo, and they're now broken down and creased, and don't provide any support anymore. I have been looking at some Edea models. I've considered buying the Chorus, but I'm not sure since they apparently break down fast and wouldn't be a long-time investment. Would the Concertos or even Ice Flys be any good for me? I figure they would last me a lot longer and also save me money in the long run. I'm open to other brands, but I kind of have my heart set on Edeas. Also I actually went to my local skate shop to try on Edea Choruses and they felt comfortable and supportive. Any help is very much appreciated! <3

// Noki
HI and welcome! Have you had a professional fitting? not just a local skate shop who let you try on anything w/o fitting you properly (measuring, tracing). B/c once that is done a pro fitter should be able to tell you what boot brands and styles work for you. Even if you were to have a foot that a fitter said worked with edea, then ice fly would still be too much for you stiffness and rating. And if you in the past did fit a Jackson well, then I'd never suggest an Edea nor a Riedell to you.

Please let us know about fitting and where in the world you are, b/c we can always suggest a proper fitter.

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Yeah, agree with the statement above.. fitting is important. Model is up to you. I personally have the ice fly skates. I haven’t had any issues with them. All the Edea models support high skills like triple and quad jumps, so if you’re wondering about support.. don’t worry lol. The ice fly is the lightest boot, Piano is the most impact resistant and supportive (I’d likely choose those if you did pairs) and Concerto is kind of a mix of both others.. I think there’s no wrong choice tbh. Just make sure you get a professional fitting. That’s the most important.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Yeah, agree with the statement above.. fitting is important. Model is up to you. I personally have the ice fly skates. I haven’t had any issues with them. All the Edea models support high skills like triple and quad jumps, so if you’re wondering about support.. don’t worry lol. The ice fly is the lightest boot, Piano is the most impact resistant and supportive (I’d likely choose those if you did pairs) and Concerto is kind of a mix of both others.. I think there’s no wrong choice tbh. Just make sure you get a professional fitting. That’s the most important.
For many people, they don't have the skills or needs to have ice fly or piano. Seriously. And all edeas do NOT support high skills like triples and quads. Chorus is for doubles, Overture is for singles. If OP does fit an edea for real based on a pro fitting, then they don't need anything over Concerto at this point.

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
For many people, they don't have the skills or needs to have ice fly or piano. Seriously. And all edeas do NOT support high skills like triples and quads. Chorus is for doubles, Overture is for singles. If OP does fit an edea for real based on a pro fitting, then they don't need anything over Concerto at this point.
The ones I mentioned I’m more speaking of. Im not too familiar with lower level skates tbh lol

Noki

Spectator
HI and welcome! Have you had a professional fitting? not just a local skate shop who let you try on anything w/o fitting you properly (measuring, tracing). B/c once that is done a pro fitter should be able to tell you what boot brands and styles work for you. Even if you were to have a foot that a fitter said worked with edea, then ice fly would still be too much for you stiffness and rating. And if you in the past did fit a Jackson well, then I'd never suggest an Edea nor a Riedell to you.

Please let us know about fitting and where in the world you are, b/c we can always suggest a proper fitter.
It was a professional figure skating shop, so we did measure my feet to get the right size, the fitter didn't trace my feet though.
My feet are a bit on the wider side, with low arches. I also forgot to mention that my Jacksons are actually a little bit too large and the toe box is definitely too spacious, which I have started to feel more and more during the past few months.

I live in Helsinki, Finland, and there are only three skate shops close by with quite a limited selection of skates for my level and size.

tinna

Spectator
Hi, Skate shop in Malmin raitti in Helsinki is really good. They are really professional. I live in France but when in Finland, (I am Finnish) I go there. Once they even sent me blades to France.
They have Edea and Risport, Jackson and Graf.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
It was a professional figure skating shop, so we did measure my feet to get the right size, the fitter didn't trace my feet though.
My feet are a bit on the wider side, with low arches. I also forgot to mention that my Jacksons are actually a little bit too large and the toe box is definitely too spacious, which I have started to feel more and more during the past few months.

I live in Helsinki, Finland, and there are only three skate shops close by with quite a limited selection of skates for my level and size.
You may want to look into Risport boots. If you are wider footed then Edea isn't going to be great nor is Graf or Riedell.

scottie99

Rinkside
If you are comfortable in Edea, have tried on different sizes/styles, and had a fitting, and if you have a boot style that you like, go with it! I LOVE my Edea, but they are very hit or miss for skaters, which is why I would recommend making sure you've really tried them on and know you like them. I think you would be fine in the Chorus, Concerto, or Ice Fly. I am a similar level and in an Ice Fly (there's a long story about why I am in such a high boot, but the point is, your level can indeed skate in Ice Fly's). However, if you like the Chorus, I would say go with that, as it is your exact level. As someone who has tried on the Chorus, Concerto, and ice Fly, there is little difference between all three. The Concerto is very similar to the Chorus, but will likely last you a bit longer if you are worried about the chorus breaking down. I personally didn't like the Chorus/Concerto and preferred the lightweight Ice Fly (maybe because that's what I have been skating in for a long time). I guess what I am saying is any of these three boots would be okay for you, as long as you have a proper fitting and know the right size.