Which performance was the highlight of the team event? | Golden Skate

Which performance was the highlight of the team event?

AxelLover

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
For me it was definitely Yuma Kagiyama. What he did was just epic! His jumps looked so effortless and those soft, smooth landings were to die for. Also his speed and gliding skills!

Honorable Mention – Nathan Chen with his crazy jump content and beautiful artistry. I hope it boosted his confidence for the individual event.

Warwick360

Medalist
Kagiyama, Sui/Han and Valieva.

Oh, and also the American teams topping Nikita/Victoria, both times contrary to pre-Olympics prediction. Truly thrown a wrench on the podium prediction for the actual dance section.

lesnar001

Record Breaker
There were so many highlights for me. I won't even try to list all of them.
I'll just list a few of them because they were quite unexpected for me.

Madeline Schizas. She picked the perfect time to really shine. Prime Time (well at least where I live in the USA) on the biggest stage of all. And her great SP played no small part in her being able to do it all over again 2 days later. I know she will be in the Women's Event also, but because of her lack of ranking, she's most likely going to be buried in the early groups. And here she was front and center for 2 days.

Chock & Bates. I love this team so much. And I remember their devastation in 2018.
That the performed so magnificently was not unexpected for me, I think they are great.
It's that they did it at the Olympics. I hope this gives them great confidence for the Ice Dance event.
I'd love to see them on the podium, and not necessarily just a Bronze Medal.

Kamila Valieva. That she won the SP and the LP wasn't unexpected for me. She's been doing that all season and she has the technical arsenal to rack up some really big scores. The fall wasn't even unexpected, because I've seen her fall before. It's not an easy thing to stay "clean" jumping quads and the 3A. Just look at all of the men (including even Nathan Chen), and they've been doing quads for years.

What was unexpected here was that even though Russia had the Gold Medal locked up, and she had already successfully landed a 3A and 2 other quads, so her score was already very high, she added the Euler-3S to her very next jump after her fall.

After she fell, my thought was "well let's hope this doesn't affect the rest of her program", and there she is changing her -3T combo to the Euler combo, and then adding the 3T onto her solo triple. She's out there playing chess while I'm thinking in terms of checkers.

I know they practice for this type of situation, but it's a lot different doing it in the heat of competition after you've just had a fall. That she did it here when she really didn't need to shows me what a great competitor she is. It wasn't a factor here, but it could very well be another time.

ffloweer

Rinkside
Country
Argentina
Yuma performance is the one that stands out for me. I was constantly getting more and more amazed as the program went by!

Sui and Han, as always, and a clean short program by Shoma! So good!

And C/B free dance was fantastic.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Kamila Valieva. That she won the SP and the LP wasn't unexpected for me. She's been doing that all season and she has the technical arsenal to rack up some really big scores. The fall wasn't even unexpected, because I've seen her fall before. It's not an easy thing to stay "clean" jumping quads and the 3A. Just look at all of the men (including even Nathan Chen), and they've been doing quads for years.

What was unexpected here was that even though Russia had the Gold Medal locked up, and she had already successfully landed a 3A and 2 other quads, so her score was already very high, she added the Euler-3S to her very next jump after her fall.
I like how Eteri's skaters are trained for these kind of scenarios. We saw Alina move her 3-3 later in her LP at the last Olympics when her first lutz didn't have a great landing, and Kamila here executed two unplanned elements flawlessly (3F-3S and 3Lz-3T). It makes her really tough to beat when she doesn't leave any points on the table.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Japanese men. Shoma's SP was marvelous, spins and jumps as spins and jumps should be, and Yuma is such a firecracker.

The American ice dancers. Madison and Zach are strong, powerful, and I'm sorry, I *like* the Janet Jackson for them, and Madi and Evan are as compelling as always.

I'll go with all the posters who are praising Madeline Schizas. Just when you think Canada is dead, they find a way to rise up from the grave and shake things up.

I will also give a shout-out to Wakaba Higuchi's SP. She isn't usually billed as having a pretty-pretty style. but this time her performence could not have been more lovely.

And Yuma Kagiyama cast a spearof challenge into the hearts of Yuzuru Hanyu and Nathan Chen with that complete masterpeice.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
C/B C/B C/B and did I mention C/B? that's the one I've already watched many times.

BUT that whole first day of the TE was spectacular -- Nathan, Shoma, many of the pairs and dance teams -- it was an epic night of skating! And then the women's SP on Day 2 gave us great performances from Schizas, Gubanova, Gutmann, and so many others.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
For me it was definitely Yuma Kagiyama. What he did was just epic! His jumps looked so effortless and those soft, smooth landings were to die for. Also his speed and gliding skills!

Honorable Mention – Nathan Chen with his crazy jump content and beautiful artistry. I hope it boosted his confidence for the individual event.
same. + shoma

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I'll go with all the posters who are praising Madeline Schizas. Just when you think Canada is dead, they find a way to rise up from the grave and shake things up.

I will also give a shout-out to Wakaba Higuchi's SP. She isn't usually billed as having a pretty-pretty style. but this time her performence could not have been more lovely.

And Yuma Kagiyama cast a spearof challenge into the hearts of Yuzuru Hanyu and Nathan Chen with that complete masterpeice.
Canada is never dead... just so everyone knows ;)