Which skaters are still with their first coach? | Golden Skate

Which skaters are still with their first coach?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This discussion in the Rika to Orser thread poses an interesting question, IMO:

Which competitive skaters out there are still skating for their very *first* coach?

And by first, I mean first, that coach who personally oversaw little Axel’s initial training on crossovers. :biggrin:
As an example, I offer Kori Ade, who coached Jason from the time he was five until he was 23. I’m less interested in whether someone stayed at a camp, but graduated coaches within the camp, although that could be interesting. And the longer the better:thumbsup:

Jason is obviously no longer a good example:biggrin:

(H/t to those who suggested a different thread:) )

sparklestan

On the Ice
I believe Alysa Liu’s Coach Laura was her very first learn to skate coach.
Cool idea for a thread :)

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I can't think of current skaters, but wasn't Bruno Massot with Jean-Francois Ballester basically from beginning to end, with maybe a couple of short side trips and additions as he and Aljona Savchenko started their partnership?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
It's probably rare, since prominent coaches rarely take on toddlers as students. Even when a successful student makes a coach famous, like Sarah Hughes winning the OGM under Robin Wagner's tutelage, the coach was often not the skater's first.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Irina Slutskaya has never left her coach Zhanna Gromova throughout the entire career.

To go back in history, I believe that Kristi Yamaguchi met Christy Klasgaard when Yamaguchi attended a skating camp at age 9, and signed up for some lessons. (Kristi was so shy that she went off and hid in the corner and Klasgaard took her under her wing. Kristi brightened up when Klasgaard told her, "My name is Christy, too!")

When Klasgaard married a Canadian and moved to Canada, Kristy followed her. Even after her competitive career ended I believe that Yamaguchi would consult occasionally with her forever coach (now Christy Ness).

Last edited:

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
I don’t think she was Bradie’s first coach, but I know Denise Myers has been coaching Bradie since the mid-2000s. That’s a Long time to be coached by the same person!

Ross74

Medalist
I don’t think she was Bradie’s first coach, but I know Denise Myers has been coaching Bradie since the mid-2000s. That’s a Long time to be coached by the same person!

Since she was 9! Yes, that's a long time, especially since she has most likely been encouraged to switch to a coach with more of a reputation.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I believe Paul Poirier has been with Carol Lane & co for his entire career. He’s changed partners, but I don’t believe he’s ever changed coaches.

Other possibilities include skaters born into skating families whose folks remained part of their coaching teams from childhood through retirement, like Alexander Majorov.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not a current skater but wasn't Brian Boitano with Linda Leaver his entire career?

I'm almost certain this is true.

She's also involved in his business dealings currently, and that indicates that he has a great deal of trust in her.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
From back in the day: I think Jutta Mueller coached Katarina Witt for her whole competitive career.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm loving the answers, but (and we may not know) for folks to be specific:

From those first learn to skate steps to the first competition and onwards.... Not just first competition onwards;)

I think Donovan Carrillo and Gregorio Nunez may fall into that category:)

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Roman Sadovsky has been with his current coaches since he was 8 (though he started skating at 5).

He just turned 21 and is current Canadian Champion. :yahoo:

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Carol Heiss apparently? The Wikipedia page just says she started skating at 6 and was coached by Pierre Brunet.

Oh, and Midori Ito with Machiko Yamada, of course.

askate225

Spectator
Country
United-States
From back in the day, Roz Sumners was coached by Lorraine Borman from learn to skate to World Champion and Olympic Silver Medalist.

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
As with others, probably not her first coach or taught basic basics, but Kaetlyn Osmond was coached by Ravi Walia from the age of 10 until she retired (14 years in total) :)

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Evgeni Plushenko was coached by Mishin for 20 years. He arrived in St. Petersburg at his 11.

Mishin about him:

"He looked like a cheap chicken, very green and very blue and no fat .... very ecological!" :laugh: very expressive words