Who will break out at 2017 US Nationals? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Who will break out at 2017 US Nationals?

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not so fast ... Andrew Torgashev was born and raised in the US of A. He ain't imported from nowhere. If every American with foreign born parents was an import, well,:laugh: not so much, that's who are.

Alexei did emigrate from Russia, it's true. I immediately took to Andrew when I saw him two years ago, and took awhile for Alexei, but now I am liking him more too (Rodeo is just so ador-a-ble). Hope they both slay....:clap:

Alexei seems so likable! And I'm excited what both teams will put forth! Augh lol!!! I'm so impatient for nationals to start!

liberrhythm

On the Ice
I want Karen Chen to do well so badly but the inconsistency with her jumps drives me insane. Imo her skating skills + spins + spirals = the whole package

Eislauf

On the Ice
Mariah's such a delightful skater to watch what with her springy "deer jumps" (to quote Weir), artistry, beautiful lines and infectious joy. I also appreciate her fresh, natural prettiness and overall presentation - she's not caked in heavy, theatrical makeup, and her costuming is pretty, age-appropriate and tasteful. I just hope she's staying away from the designer who gave her that bacon dress 2 (?) seasons ago!

jrice314

Rinkside
My answer is her 2014 U.S. Nationals free skate. But it appears that no one felt compelled to preserve that particular sinking of the Titanic where it is easily findable on youtube.

But if you've been watching Mariah for three seasons, inconsistent is a perfectly accurate term.

Yes, I have been following Mariah for a while, and I think she has improved immensely since 2014. Both Kori and Raf have been really good for her. Not being a skater myself, I don't know how long it takes to improve technique, etc., but whatever is going on, it seems like Mariah improved a lot under Kori and Raf is continuing the trend. 2014 was kind of an odd Nationals--other than the top 3, every lady had meltdowns in the free. There was also a huge puddle of ice, so I guess I don't really count 2014. It was also an Olympic year with lots of pressure. 2016 Nationals, it was clear to me that Mariah was struggling with her triple-triples and then making up for it by adding doubles. Anyway, none of us really knows. I just really like Mariah and am rooting for her!

I agree that Rohene's choreography is important for her overall presentation and part of why she is in the mix. Overall, Mariah's packaging is lovely.

Last edited:

truthbooth

On the Ice
I know it's not really a "break out," but I would be thrilled if Mirai could win her second national title this year. I hope she comes back from the GP with renewed fire and determination (and rotated triples)!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'm calling Ashley, Mirai and Courtney/Angela for the podium in ladies. Not counting out Mariah or even a breakout by Tessa.
For Men: it's a crapshoot. Nathan will probably be on podium, and with Adam out I'd love to say Max and I really want to see Alex Johnson on the podium. But there are so many talented men in the US so we'll wait and see.
Pairs: is just like the men. I would love to see Tarah and Danny repeat. Cain/LeDuc for silver.
Dance: Shibs, H/D, H/B or C/B

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
From the teleconference, it seems the Shibs worked on their music, so I hope for a "break through" with their reworked FD (not sure if the choreography is reworked but I'm sure they've made some changes) the way their reworked Skate Canada "Fix You" was a breakthrough for them last season. I was a big fan of their FD from this past season, but I know some thought it was a bit underwhelming compared to "Fix You".

Aqua Lady

On the Ice
I certainly wish Madi and Zach all the best. I have so much admiration for them, their skating, their connection...😍😍😍 I hope they nail it next week. Their FD this season is beyond stunning and there is potential for a breakthrough from that program. Pogrebinsky/Benoit could pull something unexpected. They have lots of potential. As for the Juniors, I think Carreira/Ponomarenko will be able to finish with a podium win for the first time. 😊😊😊