Who will make it to the JGP final? | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Who will make it to the JGP final?

LeeJiHye19

Final Flight
If Cha appear in the top six (which I hope is very possible given he won in Yokohama) I think I am going to watch the JGP finals too (for the first time), meaning I'll have sleepless week lol.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
They could order Skirda to be 'unwell', if they were certain that the replacement is Aliev. The question is whether Skirda and his coach would make a fuss or whether they would stay quiet. It is not a good idea to make your skating federation angry, considering that they are the one allocating the assignments and your career depends on it.

Or just send him to a doctor. At this level I suspect something can be found wrong with every skater if you look hard enough.

Rissa

Record Breaker
Agree. I don't want to upset you, but in this post (about I am talking) also was said that Dima liked this news. I mean he put "Like" when someone said about replacing (on VK I guess). And after this I started more dislike him. But I hope it's not true or he didn't mean it. Whatever.

Yeah, link please. "There is this post out there where somebody said Dima "liked" the post about the switch." So far we havent seen a) the post about the switch b) Dima's "like" or c) the post claiming that it happened. Nothing. At this point your comment is full of baseless rummor and ammounts to trolling.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
If Cha appear in the top six (which I hope is very possible given he won in Yokohama) I think I am going to watch the JGP finals too (for the first time), meaning I'll have sleepless week lol.

If Cha medals, he's in. If he gets 4th, then there's a few possibilities. If he gets at least 194.28 points (to beat Aliev on the total score tiebreaker), then he's only out if Erokhov wins gold AND Torgashev wins silver. If he places 4th, but loses to Aliev on the total score tiebreaker, then he's out if Erokhov wins gold OR Torgashev wins gold or silver. He's only out for sure if he's 5th or lower.

Given that 194.28 points is about 45 points below his score in Japan, it's unlikely he'd be out of the JGPF unless he has to withdraw in Germany. If he skated badly enough to lose that many points off his previous event, he'd probably be skating injured anyway.

Last edited:

Art&Sport

Medalist
Yep, Erokhov has a lot of potential and he seems pretty consistent. I would be surprised if he doesn't beat Torgashev.

Looking at Erokhov and Torgashev, I think they are fairly comparable in skill and potential. Erokhov is 17 and Torgashev is 15 and coming back from an ankle injury this season. Both fell twice in their fps at their last events. Torgashev also had a couple of awkward fallouts on landings (one in sp and one in fp), and some off-balance landings, and he singled one jump during a combo pass. But Torgashev is a very strong skater with good expressiveness and connection to his music. Erokhov had some technical miscues as well, in addition to his two falls in the fp. Erokhov has a nice long lean look on the ice and he is taller than Torgashev. In addition, Erokhov has lightning quick rotations, but he still has work to do on fine-tuning his interpretive skills. He has an elegant look, but he does not maintain a deep connection to his music throughout. At this point, I think Torgashev is somewhat stronger than Erokhov in terms of musicality and artistic expression.

It will likely come down to who makes the least technical mistakes.

Speaking of artistry, I don't think Alexander Samarin is a brilliant skater artistically, but he is great athletically. Samarin is very consistent technically but he doesn't connect as well to his music. He's still young though and he has opportunity for growth in this aspect of his skating.

Unfortunate for Vincent Zhou that he had falls in his fp at Tallinn after placing first in the sp. It looked like his first fall was caused by catching his blade on the ice, but then he fell on his 3-axel as well (he was likely shaken up a bit from the first unexpected fall). He recovered to do very well, except for popping one jump toward the end. It looked like his fp was different (better for him than the one he had at Yokohama), but maybe with it being new he still needs to get his feet underneath him. I do think the program is an improvement over the earlier vehicle which I thought didn't work well. He's a courageous competitor, so bad luck at Tallinn and he can chalk it up to experience.

Last edited:

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Dance qualifiers are set.

Qualified:

Loboda/Drozd
Parsons/Parsons
McNamara/Carpenter
Abachkina/Thauron
Carreira/Ponomarenko
Shpilevaya/Smirnov

Alternates:

Skoptcova/Aleshin
Polishchuk/Vakhnov
Kuzmich/Sinicyn

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Should be a good battle for medals in the top three. Parsons and Lobod/Drozd both have 318 (with L/D slightly higher) points between their two events and McNamara/Carpenter are in the 307 range. Carreira/Ponomarkeno are actually only two points behind at 305+, so they could upset the apple cart a little.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Should be a good battle for medals in the top three. Parsons and Lobod/Drozd both have 318 (with L/D slightly higher) points between their two events and McNamara/Carpenter are in the 307 range. Carreira/Ponomarkeno are actually only two points behind at 305+, so they could upset the apple cart a little.

Plus McNamara/Carpenter had a rougher second event, so I'm interested to see if they can rebound.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Expected qualifiers
Will def be rooting for Parsons & SS

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Apparently Alexei Erokhov is out with injury. (At the time I'm posting this, he's not listed as withdrawn but I feel like this would be a silly thing to make up.) This means Andrew Torgashev's chances at qualifying are much better. Stinks it has to be at the expense of someone else's injury though.

ETA: Erokhov's withdrawal is now official. Poor guy.

Last edited:

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Andrew Torgashev had a really bad day, so Dmitri Aliev will actually qualify to the JGPF.

sneakers

Match Penalty
wow, Torgashev bombed heavily and just handed teh last spot to Aliev....

that's 5 russian, erm ok 1 is a russian-american and korean.

1 Jun Hwan Cha - Korea
2 Alexander Samarin - Russia
3 Alexei Krasnozhon - Russian - American ?
4 Dmitri Aliev - Russia
5 Roman Savosin - Russia
6 Ilya Skirda - Russia

Last edited:

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Men's JGPF Qualifiers are set.

Qualifiers:

Alexander Samarin (RUS)
Jun Hwan Cha (KOR)
Alexei Krasnozhon (USA)
Roman Savosin (RUS)
Ilia Skirda (RUS)
Dmitri Aliev (RUS)

Alternates:

Vincent Zhou (USA)
Andrew Torgashev (USA)
Roman Sadovsky (CAN)

Interestlingly, if you go by total scores it would be:

Samarin
Cha
Zhou
Krasnozhon
Aliev
Sadovksy

Last edited:

LeeJiHye19

Final Flight
Men's JGPF Qualifiers are set.

Qualifiers:

Alexander Samarin (RUS)
Jun Hwan Cha (KOR)
Alexei Krasnozhon (USA)
Roman Savosin (RUS)
Ilia Skirda (RUS)
Dmitri Aliev (RUS)

Alternates:

Vincent Zhou (USA)
Andrew Torgashev (USA)
Roman Sadovsky (CAN)

Interestlingly, if you go by total scores it would be:

Samarin
Cha
Zhou
Krasnozhon
Aliev
Sadovksy

most of the qualify skaters are Russians but I hope a Korean will top them all (finger-crossed)
but even if Jun will not make it on the podium in Marseille France, I am already happy for him for making it to the final in his first JGP

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Good thing they don't go by total scores, otherwise we'd probably see even more homecooking and conspiracy theories on the forums. And on that note, I'm relieved Dima qualified according to the rules and nobody has to dream up outlandish scenarios where someone else is forced out with fake illness or injury.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Good thing they don't go by total scores, otherwise we'd probably see even more homecooking and conspiracy theories on the forums. And on that note, I'm relieved Dima qualified according to the rules and nobody has to dream up outlandish scenarios where someone else is forced out with fake illness or injury.

I sometimes wish they could figure out a way to go by total scores so qualifying isn't so reliant on the specific rosters at each event, since some events draw way more competition than others and others are less attended due to geography. I know it's unrealistic due to differing judging panels. Even if they could use the same panel at every event it'd be hard to ensure there was no drift in the scoring.

As for Dima and the forced-out scenarios, I've actually read about it happening in some sports. t doesn't happen often, but the whole issue made me think of one incident. Most famously, gymnast Rozalia Galiyeva, who was pulled from the All-Around final in Barcelona (1992 Olympics) in favor of a teammate, with a later-revealed-to-be-fake knee injury.

sneakers

Match Penalty
I sometimes wish they could figure out a way to go by total scores so qualifying isn't so reliant on the specific rosters at each event, since some events draw way more competition than others and others are less attended due to geography. I know it's unrealistic due to differing judging panels. Even if they could use the same panel at every event it'd be hard to ensure there was no drift in the scoring.

As for Dima and the forced-out scenarios, I've actually read about it happening in some sports. t doesn't happen often, but the whole issue made me think of one incident. Most famously, gymnast Rozalia Galiyeva, who was pulled from the All-Around final in Barcelona (1992 Olympics) in favor of a teammate, with a later-revealed-to-be-fake knee injury.

this happens in russian sports, unless there is a rule that you cannot substitute someone, you can do anything you want as long as the one to be replaced doesn't make an objection. Merkulova was replaced by Dmitrieva in 2012 London rhyhtmic gymnastics because of a huge protest, it was revealed Viner got notes from RG fans wanted Dmitrieva as she was more stable - she eventually won silver behind Kanaeva, recently in Rio 2016, Ignatyev was replaced by Stretovich in AG who contributed to their silver medal.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Wow, 4 russians and 1 american russian in the JGPF. :drama: It's fantastic.

At this rate, Russia will end up with at least half the entries in the JGPF. 2 Dance and 4 Men confirmed, plus likely 5! pairs and 3 ladies (though ice is still slippery and crazy things could happen)