Will Mao Asada announce retirement? | Golden Skate

Will Mao Asada announce retirement?

skira1717

Rinkside
She's going to become a newscaster of "News Zero (NTV)" in July? I heard this same rumor last year..:confused:
I don't think this is an official. I mean this source is another gossip mag.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
I don't think it's wise to use a thread subject/title that is so emphatic, if you're not sure it is true...!

Meoima

Match Penalty
I don't think it's wise to use a thread subject/title that is so emphatic, if you're not sure it is true...!
:disapp: My friend told me as if it's 100% true. And I am asking her now but she hasn't replied. And I could't change the title.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Source says 'figure skating insider' so, we should wait a bit until it comes out from a reliable news source.

pandaatlarge

On the Ice
This is from a gossip magazine, not even that kind of influential gossip magazine, so we cannot conclude anything here.
Many fans are now assuming she will announce something next month, when her show THE ICE promotion starts, but just assuming.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Wow, vilandra the fact that you are writing is quite amazing if you just had a heart attack. Hope y ou are feeling better:)

chasingpolaris

On the Ice
No confirmation as of yet. I have been checking Nikkan Sports daily now since her graduation.

Last edited:

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
:disapp: My friend told me as if it's 100% true. And I am asking her now but she hasn't replied. And I could't change the title.

Since the title is worded as a question, it doesn't really seem too emphatic/definitive to me, although I understand what YesWay is getting at. Still, it might not be a bad idea to change it; the Mods can probably help w/ that.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Since the title is worded as a question, it doesn't really seem too emphatic/definitive to me, although I understand what YesWay is getting at. Still, it might not be a bad idea to change it; the Mods can probably help w/ that.
Um, the title was changed some time after I made that post... and it sounds you never saw the original title.
The current title seems fine to me... :-D

Flaya

Match Penalty
I am a huge fan of skaters competing into their late 20s or 30s, Mao is only 24... she would only be 27 in PyongChang at the Olympics... so I hope she stays.

But obviously she also has to take into account some facts, as example Miki Ando did not make the 2014 Olympics with her "come back" as she only placed 7th at the Japanese championships and Fumie Suguri unfortunately did not even qualify to the Japanese championships in 2013 or 2014.

chasingpolaris

On the Ice
I am a huge fan of skaters competing into their late 20s or 30s, Mao is only 24... she would only be 27 in PyongChang at the Olympics... so I hope she stays.

But obviously she also has to take into account some facts, as example Miki Ando did not make the 2014 Olympics with her "come back" as she only placed 7th at the Japanese championships and Fumie Suguri unfortunately did not even qualify to the Japanese championships in 2013 or 2014.

There's definitely a lot for Mao to think about. The skaters whom she competed with for years have mostly retired. There's a kind of pressure that comes with competing with the younger generation of skaters.

Not sure about Fumie, but I think Miki would have placed higher had she not given birth in 2013 and had more time to practice. She had too much on her plate, being a single parent and trying to get her form back on track. That's why I think if Mao remains injury free and does not get married/pregnant within the next couple of years, she would probably make it to Pyeongchang. As of right now now, I can't see anyone on Team Japan who would place higher than her. Just to my two cents though.

I'm all for supporting Mao's decision, whatever it turns out to be.

Last edited:

urara

Rinkside
The source is a vulgar magazine. If you look at the covers of the magazine, you'll find out what I mean.

Anyway, this is a big decision for Mao's life. I'll wait until she makes an official announcement.
I hope she continues showing us her beautiful skating wherever it is.

Last edited:

russell30

Final Flight
I have a feeling she will be back next year, she is still World Class, her PCS are around 70+, she can challenge for sure and get to the top again, it would be good for the sport if she came back if only it was for another year or 2. Not sure on the olympics though? - but you never know in sport?

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
I hope Mao doesn't retire yet! And I'd love to see a 'Battle of the triple axels' between her and Liza Tuk! :biggrin:

vilandra

Rinkside
Wow, vilandra the fact that you are writing is quite amazing if you just had a heart attack. Hope y ou are feeling better:)

I'm not ready to see her leaving. I don't think anyone is. :(

But I respect whatever decision she makes.

jinhamasaki

Rinkside
Not sure about Fumie, but I think Miki would have placed higher had she not given birth in 2013 and had more time to practice. She had too much on her plate, being a single parent and trying to get her form back on track. That's why I think if Mao remains injury free and does not get married/pregnant within the next couple of years, she would probably make it to Pyeongchang.

I think it was so impressive for Ando to skate after pregnancy. That woman is a MACHINE. I will support Asada in any decision she makes. IMHO, she could skate without the 3A and still qualify for Worlds at this point. I really would love to see her attack skating again, it seemed like 2014 was the year where her jumps were getting polished with 3-3's and 2A-3Ts. Who knows what she can accomplish in 1-2 more seasons...