Will USFSA move Nationals? ETA: Yes, it will | Golden Skate

Will USFSA move Nationals? ETA: Yes, it will

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
So ... in recent weeks I’ve been tracking the price of 5-day hotel/air packages for various January dates at the Vegas Orleans (site of this week’s Skate America) & this morning noticed an odd thing: Suddenly, the price of EVERYTHING jumped $200-$300 from what they were just yesterday. This makes me wonder if USFSA officials have just booked a bunch of rooms, just in case they decide to move Nationals because the Orleans provides a safer “bubble.”

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Just my two cents, but ... with only one sheet of ice at the Orleans, would it be possible to schedule all the necessary Nats practices there in addition to the competition segments?? For juniors and seniors?

If skaters had to leave the Orleans bubble for Nats practice elsewhere, seems to me that some of the safety advantages of the Orleans for Skate America would be nullified.

For reference, the color-coded schedule for 2020 Nats in Greensboro (which had a practice rink next to the competition rink):

I get that in San Jose, SAP Arena does not have a hotel attached, and the Solar practice rink is miles away. Not ideal either.

Just sayin' that I think the logistics for Nats at the Orleans would be significantly more complex than for Skate America at the Orleans.

BTW, as an aside (not really relevant to OP's question), it was announced in early Jan 2020 that the Orleans would host Synchro Nats in Feb 2021. And I think that event still is scheduled to happen, at least as of now.

ETA (on Dec 9):

Today USFS announced the cancellation of 2021 Synchro Nats:

With continued national uncertainty regarding the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and the inequity in team training opportunities due to reduced capacity limiting team and group activities, the Board of Directors has supported the decision of the Competitions Committee’s synchronized skating sub-committee to cancel the 2021 U.S. Synchronized Skating Championships and Challenge. The event had been scheduled for Feb. 23-27 at the Orleans Arena in Las Vegas.

Last edited:

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
The logistics wouldn’t work for juniors & seniors to be held according to the current schedule. But might work if the whole thing is stretched out to 2 weeks.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
As it turns out, I was right! Phil has just tweeted the announcement (with props to @Moxiejan, lol).
San Jose will have the 2023 Nationals & refunds for 2021 will be sent within 30 days.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
And extra days did need to be added so that Nats could take place safely at the Orleans.

"Championship-level competition will take place from Jan. 11–17, 2021, and junior-level competition from Jan. 19–21, 2021."​
ETA:​
With the side effect of an extended number of days in the bubble for coaches who have both senior and junior competitors.​
But I am very much in favor of doing things safely, so it will be for the greater good.​

I will be curious to see whether USFS will stick with the existing plan for the size of the Senior Men/Ladies fields -- or will make the fields slightly smaller, in order to not let the number of people (skaters + coaches) in the bubble get too large.
ETA:​
And in order to not let practice sessions and competition sessions get too long.​
Fields of 24 would be double the size of those for Skate America.​

As of Aug 25, the plan for 2021 Nats had been:

Senior Men/Ladies: for each, up to 24​
Senior Dance: up to 18 couples​
Senior Pairs: up to 18 pairs​
Junior Men/Ladies: for each, 12 junior + 6 novice competing as junior​
Junior Dance: 12 couples​
Junior Pairs: 12 pairs​

Because 2021 Championship Series will be virtual, the previously announced TES minimums for 2021 Nats no longer are in effect.

Realistically, Senior Dance and Senior Pairs will have fewer than 18 entries each.

I think that Novice singles will no longer have any chance of advancing to Junior competition at Nats?
Per previous announcement, only Seniors and Juniors will have virtual Championship Series before January. Novice/Intermediate/Juvenile Championship Series (or equivalent) will happen later.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Answering my own question:

The 2021 Nats fields now will be smaller than originally planned.​

Senior Men: 18​
- Nathan, Jason, Tomoki, Vincent, Torgashev have byes from 2020 Nats​
- Krasnozhon, Camden, Jimmy Ma, Joseph Kang have byes from ISP Points Challenge​
- Top nine scores from virtual Championship Series will advance to 2021 Nats​

Senior Ladies: 18​
- Alysa, Mariah, Bradie, Karen, Amber have byes from 2020 Nats​
- Audrey Shin, Starr, Pooja, Lindsay Thorngren have byes from ISP Points Challenge​
- Top nine scores from virtual Championship Series will advance to 2021 Nats​

Senior Pairs: 12 pairs​
- Jessica/Brian; Tarah/Danny; Ashley/Timothy have byes from 2020 Nats​
- Alexa/Brandon; Audrey/Misha; Olivia/Mervin; Katie/Nate have byes from ISP Points Challenge​
- Top five scores from virtual Championship Series will advance to 2021 Nats​

Senior Dance: 8 couples [ETA (on Nov 10): plus other couples who had registered for in-person Championship Series]​
- Chock/Bates; Madi/Zach; Hawayek/Baker; Christina/Anthony; Caroline/Michael have byes from 2020 Nats​
- Molly/Yegor; Lorraine/Anton; Eva/Logan have byes from ISP Points Challenge​
(no Senior Dance event in virtual Championship Series)​

ETA (on Nov 9):
Wait ... I hope that Shilling/Petrov (who are on the ISP list) will be a 9th couple??
But I am unclear whether they qualify for Nats without the virtual Championship Series?
(They did not compete in ISP Points Challenge.)​

ETA (on Nov 10):
Update: USFS has changed its language as of Nov 10. Per the change, I now think that Shilling/Petrov are in for 2021 Nats, as well as other additional couples.​

Juniors (all scores from virtual Championship Series):
Junior Men – Top 12 scores​
Junior Ladies – Top 12 scores​
Junior Pairs – Top eight scores​
Junior Ice Dance – Top 10 scores​

ETA (on Nov 11):

I think that Novice singles will no longer have any chance of advancing to Junior competition at Nats?

Per new USFS language as of Nov 11, it finally has become clear that my concern was not warranted, I am happy to say:
"- Singles athletes (Novice and below) in either the Athlete High Performance Development Pool (AHPDP) or International Selection Pool (ISP) may skate up."​

Last edited: