World's 2018 - Practice reports | Page 5 | Golden Skate

World's 2018 - Practice reports

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It’s first time I’m watching figure skating live and I was shocked at how small the seats are, can’t fit my legs in this space so my knees are sticking out over seat in front of me. Also some seats are lower than others and when I had to fit my legs in this space it was just painful. I’m curious how this arena compares to others as maybe I’m just too tall to watch figure skating live?

I am 5"2' (157 cms) tall and having a hard time with these seats. Thank goodness I have an end seat and can hang my leg out in the aisle. Not the best, and not indicative of how all figure skating will be.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A little too late to change technique, he won't fix that in one month :laugh:
And it seems as if Hanyu and Fernandez are smarter- or at least their team

So Shoma's team should adopt Hanyu and Fernandez's team's plan so he can be uninjured like them? I can see you don't follow Shoma at all and have no idea why he does as many competitions as he does.

Logirl

On the Ice
Love Shoma

So Shoma's team should adopt Hanyu and Fernandez's team's plan so he can be uninjured like them? I can see you don't follow Shoma at all and have no idea why he does as many competitions as he does.

I love Shoma. I do think he should do less competitions or shows. But he has had less injuries than many. We all know about Nathan Chen history and Yuzu is out injured now.

yude

Record Breaker
I'm wondering if Satoko's coach (Hamada) can help with Shoma's boots, Satoko had pain on her instep due to the boot problem during the Olympics, but Hamada made adjustment inside of the boots using the tools and sponge and Satoko's pain became lighter. Good that his foot didn't have fracture, even if he watered down the layout of the programs, he would be going to do fine job IMO. (and I don't care about three spots for Japan this year honestly)

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I'm wondering if Satoko's coach (Hamada) can help with Shoma's boots, Satoko had pain on her instep due to the boot problem during the Olympics, but Hamada made adjustment inside of the boots using the tools and sponge and Satoko's pain became lighter. Good that his foot didn't have fracture, even if he watered down the layout of the programs, he would be going to do fine job IMO. (and I don't care about three spots for Japan this year honestly)

I agree. If they lose one spot, they can get it back again. :pray: stay safe Shoma. :ghug:

Last edited:

deedee1

Record Breaker
Re Shoma and his injury. It's obvious now he's in enourmous pain, otherwise the fed didn't take him straight to the hospital for Xray and seek for an advice from the doc who's an Italian;;; Only my guess, but having known the JSF for many years as a fan, I am pretty sure the fed doesn't pressure/force a skater to compete while badly injured, however the fed doesn't pressure/force her/him not to compete, either. :sarcasm: Watering down layouts or last minute withdraw, I just hope his team will make one that's the best for him. Next Worlds scheduled in Japan? So what? Losing a spot, even two isn't at all the end of world. Health comes first. Hate to see talented skaters' eligible careers cut short due to injuries and illness over and over again.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
I agree. If they lose one spot, they can get it back again. :pray: stay safe Shoma. :ghug:

Totally agree. Shoma's job is to ensure he doesn't make his injury worse and skate well enough to earn two spots for Japan. He still has a long career ahead of him. Keiji had better get his act together and Kazuki should make the most of this opportunity to show the world what he can do.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
This whole Shoma's situation... I get that the best skater competing from certain nation, while other one/two is/are not on the same level technically or presentation-wise, is the most visible and prominent in people's eyes, but he should not be reduced to 3 spot saviour. Like others said above, why not to demand the best from other skaters in particular country, focusing on each one competing equally and realizing that they complete for themselves individually and the sum of that results in spots given. After Japanese Ladies story at last Worlds in Helsinki and blame game that happened afterwards, I would not like to see that again for Men...

Celine

On the Ice
There is such a deeply ingrained and familiar history amongst Olympic athletes, competing under incredible adversity - i.e., pain, injury. So many instances of stoicism, it's remarkable. Sending positive healing thoughts to Shoma and all of these exhausted athletes as they complete this Olympic season.

eaglehelang

Final Flight
Is he just going to push through it? Sounds painful :(

Yes, Shoma will push through it, with the painkillers. Not surprising though, considereing what his senior Yuzuru has done in similar situations(i.e. skating injured in most of the Worlds)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Max Aaron -- Max's jumps just weren't working well for him tonight. He took a couple falls and just soldiered on with his SP. Come on Max! You can do it! Funny when they introduced him, someone let out this big, long "WOO!" scream. I thought maybe Karne was in the audience! :scard7:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: It wasn't me! Maybe it was my ghost though. Thanks for the report!

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It’s first time I’m watching figure skating live and I was shocked at how small the seats are, can’t fit my legs in this space so my knees are sticking out over seat in front of me. Also some seats are lower than others and when I had to fit my legs in this space it was just painful. I’m curious how this arena compares to others as maybe I’m just too tall to watch figure skating live?

It's just this arena. Everything about these seats are awful. I have long legs and after going to Skate America at Joe Louis Arena (also cramped leg space), I make it a point to sit in an aisle seat ;) Leg space is really cramped here in Milan. Depending on how you sit, you can really be up and personal with the person in front of you. Thankfully I was sitting next to Javier Raya :biggrin: and his family and they were absent for half of the men's event so I had plenty of room to stretch.......until they came back and then i just hanged them in the aisle :laugh:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: It wasn't me! Maybe it was my ghost though. Thanks for the report!

Your ghost is busy! There was definitely a WOO-er in the audience again for Max tonight for the SP. :laugh2: