Your TOP 5 at US Nationals? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Your TOP 5 at US Nationals?

rlopen

On the Ice
1. Mirai's FS -- I cried tears of joy while watching it everything about it was just beautiful.
2. Ross FS
3. Starr FS
4. Grant SP
5. Jimmy Ma SP

Honorable mentions: Gracie and twitter, Knierim's FS, everything Sean Rabbitt, Tomoki's FS, Cain/Leduc FS, Polina SP, Brynne McIsaac's FS, Angela's SP, Mariah's FS (land that 2A!), Ashley's La La Land, Karen's FS.

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
Top 5 moments

1. Mirai making the Oly team
2. Adam's Short
3. Knierims in the K&C after they won
4. H&D winning in dance
5. Adam making the Oly team

Top 5 moments that ate my soul
1. Adam's free....
2. Ashley not making the team
3. Ross not making the team
4. The whole men's drama (I wanted to send them all)
5. Having to explain selection criteria to people who have no idea what they are talking about

tzazu

Medalist
Ross Miner FS:luv17:
Madison Hubbell / Zachery Donohue FD
Shibs SD
Rippon SP
Kaitlin Hawayek/Jean-Luc Baker FD:love:

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
1) Men - SP for Grant, Ross, Adam, Jason, Tim; LP for Ross, Nathan
2) Pairs - return of Kayne/O'Shea, emergence of Stellato & Bartholemay
3) Dance - Shibs SD, Chock/Bates FD, Hubbell/Donahue overall edgework & interpretation for the win, Kaitlin & Jean-Luc for a breakthrough performance
4) Ladies - I loved Ashley's LLL because was the only FS that made me feel something, Mirai's gutsy skate to win her spot, Bradie's poise & consistency, Polina SP still in the mix, Mariah for FS, Starr for a spectacular debut.
5) For those skating with skill, style & joy - Jimmy Ma, Sean Rabbitt, Tim Dolensky, Alex Johnson

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Top 5 moments that ate my soul
1. Adam's free....
2. Ashley not making the team
3. Ross not making the team
4. The whole men's drama (I wanted to send them all)
5. Having to explain selection criteria to people who have no idea what they are talking about

My soul hurts for all of these and I would add Jason - I hate to think the world will not see how much he improved since the last Olympiad, for Polina having to withdraw again, for Grant who seems to be forgotten and for the sacrifice of beautiful, musical skating in exchange for meaningless rococo steps for the purpose of gaining points.

Scrufflet

Final Flight
I enjoyed Men and Dance the most.
I enjoyed all the top men but a new discovery for me was Jimmy Ma! I love everything about him and he is just the breath of fresh air skating needs! If he ends up skating to Nessun Dorma or POTO next year, it will be all off between us. Stick to your vision, Jimmy. You are officially my new fangirl crush.
Great to see Mirai do so well. Oh Ashley!
Please, Bradie T., change your music for next year (no Cinderella, no Disney); hang out for a while with Jimmy Ma.
Dance was wonderful, the best! Go Hub/Don!

temadd

Final Flight
1. Being at my first Nationals
2. Ashley's LP
3. Starr Andrews LP
4. McNamara and Carpenter FD
5. Bradie skating 2 CLEAN programs

Honorable Mention:

Pooja Kalyan LP (Jr Ladies silver medalist) She was mesmerizing, great clean jumps. Even though she lacked the in-between skating she still has great presence and mature skating.

Ashley speaking her mind. I love that she doesn't play the prim and proper figure skating princess. What would we have to talk about otherwise?

Any of Alex Johnson's skating.

Disappointments

Ashley's PCS scores

That people are mad that Ross didn't get world or Oly spot. FACT Adam this season ranked 5th in the world, Ross 26th. Last 3 yrs together Adam 10th, Ross 38th. Vincent Zhou Jr world champ and several quads. Who do you want to send to make sure US gets 3 spots next year? Ross would have to prove himself at more than just 1 competition.

Ashley missing the salchow-not even trying to double it

Jason not performing better.

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
It was a busy weekend and I am sad that I wasn't able to watch most of the Finals in real time. But here are my feelings after San Jose:

1. I am over the moon that Madison and Zach are the 2018 National Champions and going to the Olympics.
2. US ICE DANCE ROCKS!! So many beautiful performances at all levels
3. I am happy for Mirai
4. I am sad that Ashley and Jason are not going to the Olympics
5. I am sad for Ross Miner. Even though the criteria was published (although not sure it was followed), he really got shafted. Not even 1st alternate

Announcers:
1. Brooke Castille did a great job on Pairs on IN
2. It was great to hear both Charlie and Tanith in dance
3. The Weir/Lipinski show is old. I will watch a feed in a foreign language before ever listening to their dribble again.

Did I mention, I am over the moon that Madison and Zach won? That will be the biggest take away from the week for me.

noskates

Record Breaker
1. Camden Pulkinen - Jr. Men's Champion. This kid has it all! He has the jumps, the spins, the personality and the presentation.
2. Dinh Tran - Jr Men's bronze. Great backstory but he's really, really fun to watch.
3. Mirai Negasu - I haven't been a believer for a long time but she really brought it. I found her freeskate to be ever more enjoyable than the formulaic Brady Tennell. I also met Mirai last night at the Olympic kickoff party and she's gorgeous in person. And she was soooo happy.
4. The Knierems freeskate. Their quad twist is unbelievable. He throws her so high and she rotates so tight....takes your breath away every time you see it.
5. Kayne and O'Shea's freeskate.

Honorable mention: Jimmy Ma's short. You had to be there.
Second honorable mention: Tomoki Haywatashi. I believe he was the Junior Champ last year. We have a lot to look forward to in the years to come.

ExMaleSkater

Rinkside
The Good
1. The men overall. Although there were some misses, it was a strong field.
2. The women. Love the top three. Wish Mariah Bell was just a bit better.
3. Hubbell/Donohue FD. Damn!
4. Tara/Johnny. I love them, and I love that so many hate them.
5. Starr (except her LP music)

The Sad.
1. Body of Work. Garbage system devalues US Nationals in favor of weird GP events.
2. Blindness to Ashley's long detailed shortcomings.
3. Scoring system. Still bad, still too easy to pick apart for good or bad. It's a mess.
4. Ross not getting Olympics, or Worlds, or at least freaking 1st ALT. That was brutal.
5. Jason. My favorite skater in a long time, but without a quad we won't see him much longer.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
The Sad.
1. Body of Work. Garbage system devalues US Nationals in favor of weird GP events.

You reawaken me to the realization that a lot of casual figure skating fans don't watch GP series at all. Worlds and Euros are treated with some special values by the media, so some of them watch such big major events once in a while, especially top 3's programs or even 5. However, during the Olympic season, Nationals really matters to them even more than Worlds, so the body of work criteria may puzzle them most as National is not an Olympic trial any more. No wonder though.

temadd

Final Flight
The Sad.

GP events are not weird. The top skaters in the WORLD compete in the Grand Prix series and these events show how our skaters stack up to the rest of the world. It is important to consider them in the selection for teams. If you are referring to Ross, his international record does not compare with Adam's. I do agree that they could have made him 1st Alt though.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
GP events are not weird. The top skaters in the WORLD compete in the Grand Prix series and these events show how our skaters stack up to the rest of the world. It is important to consider them in the selection for teams. If you are referring to Ross, he has not been able to get one medal at a Sr GP. I do agree that they could have made him 1st Alt though.

I think they are, if not weird, not that impressive. They used to be a relatively low-stakes chance for skaters to try out their new programs before international judges. I have been to Skate America twice and the excitement factor (and attendance level) can't compare to an event like Worlds. There is also an imbalance in the fields at the various events. For example, Mirai was at NHK along with Evgenia, Carolina Kostner and Kaetlyn Osmond. She came in 4th, which was about as high as any American ladies skater could hope for against that field. I think the only thing that really matters (or really should matter) on the Grand Prix is a top three finish at the final.

ETA: Also, Ross has medaled on the Grand Prix and at Four Continents.

ExMaleSkater

Rinkside
You reawaken me to the realization that a lot of casual figure skating fans don't watch GP series at all. Worlds and Euros are treated with some special values by the media, so some of them watch such big major events once in a while, especially top 3's programs or even 5. However, during the Olympic season, Nationals really matters to them even more than Worlds, so the body of work criteria may puzzle them most as National is not an Olympic trial any more. No wonder though.

I hope you're not referring to me as "casual." I have over twenty years in the sport as a skater and coach, and have had some of the most famous coaches there are in the sport. But, perhaps I should explain what I mean by "weird."

Every GP event has a different field of skaters, some with very few top level skaters, a few stacked with most of the top. The level of judging is just as random. Crowds are small, so the pressure and experience isn't quite the same as Nationals, Worlds, or obviously the Olympics. Every skater has a different level of fitness they are shooting for throughout the year, with most aiming for the Nationals to Worlds timeline. GP events are seen by many as warm-up, time to test new things and jumps.

So, lesson here is, be careful who you try to insult with the "casual" fan label.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Skates
1. Hubbell/Donohue FD
2. Adam Rippon's SP
3. Parsons' SD (so nice to see them skate so strongly)
4. Stellato/Bartholomay's SP
5. Ross Miner's SP

Honourable mentions: McNamara/Carpenter's FD, Mariah Bell's SP, Alexei Krasnozhon's SP, Ross Miner's FS

Moments
1. Madi and Zach's reactions to their scores
2. Gracie on twitter
3. Adam's reaction to his SP scores

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I hope you're not referring to me as "casual." I have over twenty years in the sport as a skater and coach, and have had some of the most famous coaches there are in the sport. But, perhaps I should explain what I mean by "weird."

Every GP event has a different field of skaters, some with very few top level skaters, a few stacked with most of the top. The level of judging is just as random. Crowds are small, so the pressure and experience isn't quite the same as Nationals, Worlds, or obviously the Olympics. Every skater has a different level of fitness they are shooting for throughout the year, with most aiming for the Nationals to Worlds timeline. GP events are seen by many as warm-up, time to test new things and jumps.

So, lesson here is, be careful who you try to insult with the "casual" fan label.

:eek:hwell: Since you take my post with just an observation on GP and Worlds/Euros as an insult :rolleye: to look down on your expertise that I magically should've figured out, then that's your take since your wording "weird GP" just triggered me to think about how "casual" fs fans such as mostly my friends or acquaintances take GP series. As your screen name "ExMaleSkater" indicates that you're far from casual fans, but it's my fault to assume that you could easily read through my intention. Moreover, most casual fans (again from my observation) do neither bother themselves to make their account nor leave comments to any figure skating related platform except for Olympics. I read your feeling regarding how come the selection committee considered achievements from GP series worthier than the National results which I somewhat agree with you, but I guess our conversations are pretty much done here.

temadd

Final Flight
I think they are, if not weird, not that impressive. They used to be a relatively low-stakes chance for skaters to try out their new programs before international judges. I have been to Skate America twice and the excitement factor (and attendance level) can't compare to an event like Worlds. There is also an imbalance in the fields at the various events. For example, Mirai was at NHK along with Evgenia, Carolina Kostner and Kaetlyn Osmond. She came in 4th, which was about as high as any American ladies skater could hope for against that field. I think the only thing that really matters (or really should matter) on the Grand Prix is a top three finish at the final.

ETA: Also, Ross has medaled on the Grand Prix and at Four Continents.

Sorry yes Ross has been top 3 at a GP. I edited my post to reflect. But still his International record is not strong

ExMaleSkater

Rinkside
:eek:hwell: Since you take my post with just an observation on GP and Worlds/Euros as an insult :rolleye: to look down on your expertise that I magically should've figured out, then that's your take since your wording "weird GP" just triggered me to think about how "casual" fs fans such as mostly my friends or acquaintances take GP series. As your screen name "ExMaleSkater" indicates that you're far from casual fans, but it's my fault to assume that you could easily read through my intention. Moreover, most casual fans (again from my observation) do neither bother themselves to make their account nor leave comments to any figure skating related platform except for Olympics. I read your feeling regarding how come the selection committee considered achievements from GP series worthier than the National results which I somewhat agree with you, but I guess our conversations are pretty much done here.

Ah hell, I'm sorry. This whole weekend was crazy, and I got a little heated for no reason. I apologize. Stupid me. :(

The new system bothers me, but I am old school. I've said it elsewhere, but I'm still bitter figures got cut, so I don't change easily. :scratch2:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Ah hell, I'm sorry. This whole weekend was crazy, and I got a little heated for no reason. I apologize. Stupid me. :(

The new system bothers me, but I am old school. I've said it elsewhere, but I'm still bitter figures got cut, so I don't change easily. :scratch2:

No problem. Since this is mostly miscommunication between us, we can let this thing go. I should've written my wording more clearly to avoid any confusion, so I apologize to you for that. I was so upset about the Olympics/Worlds/4CC selection including 1st alternates to each event, especially Ross' position, so I understand how you feel. Anyway, I think USFSA should mend their criteria more accessible to everyone to understand how it works.

noskates

Record Breaker
I know this isn't a popular stance but I believe the Olympic committee did the right thing. It is their responsibility to send the best possible team to participate in the Olympics. They don't send the sentimental favorite - they send the skaters they believe can get the most points and be competitive. based on their past track records. I feel just as sad for Ross as I did for Mirai and back these many years Mark Mitchell. I can only imagine what it feels like - especially after competing for so many years, spending money, etc. I don't think any decision they made would have been popular. Yes Ross has medaled internationally - twice in the last..what..10 years? And as far as first alternate - Jason has much more of a possibility of scoring higher points than Ross on a general basis and has every year in seniors except this one. I do not believe that decisions should be made on 1 or 2 skates - either to eliminate someone or to choose them. It's just how it is and it's been well-known for some time. And I agree with Crossover that the criteria should be explained in such a way that there is no misunderstamding on anyone's part.