Yuma Kagiyama | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Yuma Kagiyama

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
So far, Yuma has competed in three events since making his comeback this season, and the score improvements are quite impressive:
Kinoshita Trophy (Aug. 11-12): 211.47​
CS Lombardia Trophy (Sept. 9-10): 265.59​
Tokyo Regionals (Sept. 21-24): 284.75​

Yuma went to go see Ryujin Nippon (Japanese men's volleyball team) play versus Slovakia in Tokyo on Setember 7th! They were playing in the Olympic Qualifying Tournament, and winning this game guaranteed Japan an Olympic spot! Yuma is a fan of Haikyu! (Japanese volleyball anime/manga) and I think that extended into an appreciation for volleyball. He got to to backstage and meet several of the athletes, including (pictured below, from left to right) Nishida Yuji (No. 1, whose jersey Yuma is wearing), Ishikawa Yuki (No. 14), Miyaura Kento (No. 4), and Takahashi Ran (No. 12), four of the biggest stars on the team! (Rough translation: "I went to watch volleyball for the first time! I was very moved to be able to witness such powerful play and the moment when the Olympic Games were decided. We also had a photo taken after the match. Thank you. I will do my best to become an athlete who can impress the people watching!") The height difference is very funny, especially because Ryujin Nippon is considered an extremely short volleyball team and they still tower over Yuma lol.
Article: Hochi Sports

The next day, Yuma participated in TV Asahi's GP Series press conference alongside Shoma, Sota, Wakaba, Kaori, and RikuRyu. You can watch it here (only available in Japan/with VPN). His goal for the season is "perfect performance and artistic skating". He evaluated his performance at Tokyo Block, where he scored a 284.75, as only at "30% (performance ability)". (Machida Tatsuki, who hosted the press conference alongside Arakawa Shizuka, said he though it was more at 70%). Yuma feels like he made some small mistakes at Tokyo Block and wants to better convey the expressiveness and themes of his programs.
Articles: Tokyo Sports, Yahoo! Japan

Last edited:

Holy Headband

On the Ice
Great to see Yuma back in action, though I can't help but feel salty about his PCS. I know the component score is tied to jumps in the judges' minds, but let's be real, he should have led by 5 points at least in that category. (I have no complaints about the overall standings, obviously.) The disrespect kinda concerns me.

In any case, the next order of business for him should be to add a second quad to the SP. He may be feeling impatient to beef up his FS layout after losing by 30 points to Malinin and SHF, but they won't be at NHK. I wouldn't add a third quad to the FS until the GPF, assuming Yuma qualifies for it. He should make sure he's executing two 3As and three jump combinations every time first. (The missing third combo was as much of a flub as the popped axel, but I haven't seen anyone mention it.)

Other than that, stay healthy and focused and don't react in panic to what others are doing this early in the season. After consulting the protocols for the FS at GPdF, I think Yuma would have been up there with the top two with a clean 3-quad program. (Use the rescore feature on Skating Scores to check if you don't believe me!) That's a testament to the quality of his elements. Stay the course, keep delivering the highest quality elements of all the top men and the best program (at least in my opinion, the last minute of his free is a masterpiece), and good things will happen.

Last edited: