Yuna Shiraiwa | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Yuna Shiraiwa

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Interview with Yuna Shiraiwa after All-Japan Championships:
Translation:

Yuna Shiraiwa (2nd year student) placed 23rd with 88.96 points, total 145.89 points in the women's free skate, which was also the selection round for the Beijing Olympics. The following is a question-and-answer session with Ms. Shiraiwa after the women's SP and free skate.

【Question & Answer after Women's Free Skate】

-Your thoughts about your performance in the FS?

Shiraiwa: " Well, It was the top competition in Japan, and I could only perform in a way that was really embarrassing. I'd like to thank everyone who came to see me. I felt a little bad for the people who came to see me, for the people who support me, and for my coaches."

-Right after the performance, it looked like it took you a while to get up. What was the situation?

Shiraiwa: "I felt like my legs were not strong enough."

-There were times during the performance when you kept making mistakes.

Shiraiwa: "I made a lot of mistakes that made me want to quit in the middle of the performance, but the audience gave me a big applause even if I made mistakes. So, I felt like I was going to challenge myself until the end. In the end, I failed, so maybe it was a mistake to push too hard, but I think it was the audience who applauded that made me want to keep trying until the end."

-How would you like to make the most of this All-Japan experience in the future?

Shiraiwa: "Well, I guess. Well, I think I'll take some time to think about the future.”

-I felt like I saw a few tears before the performance started.

Shiraiwa: "I was wondering until the very last minute what to do about entering the competition, so to be honest, I was practicing with the feeling of wanting to escape."

-Did things not go well in practice before the competition?

Shiraiwa: "In practice, after I moved to Honda's team, we practiced really hard together for a month, and what I could do...I was back to the level of last year, so I was in really good shape."

-Did you experience any emotional struggles between the end of the SP and the free skate?

Shiraiwa: "No, first of all, I had a lot of problems for a week ...about 3 days before All-Japan. I practiced hard for a month, but in the last three days, I wasn't able to practice to my satisfaction. I had been practicing on my own for about four months before the West Japan Championships, so I hadn't really been able to practice in a way that would help me get rid of my worries this season. In addition to that, I couldn't practice for a while, so I couldn't get rid of my anxiety, I guess.

【Question and Answer after Women's SP】

-Your thoughts about the SP?

Shiraiwa: "Well, this season, I...well, I started late for All-Japan, so I...well, I didn't have a chance to practice so much, to perform in a way that I could think 'I've practiced so much, so I'm okay.' It was my own fault, and it was really shameful that I gave an embarrassing performance in the second half of the groups, but it was my own fault, but I was still able to qualify for FS, so I was happy for now. “

-How do you feel about your second and third jumps, that you fell down on the second jump, and jumped the third one for recovery?

Shiraiwa: "I think I was anxious, so I rushed to jump, that's why I'm frustrated, since I could jump in practice, but I still have FS, so I'll try to reset my mind so that I won't make the same mistakes in FS.”

-Are you currently being coached by Mr. Honda?

Shiraiwa: "Yes, I transferred to Mr. Honda (Takeshi) at the end of November."

-What kind of things did you want to learn from Honda sensei before you decided to join his team?

Shiraiwa: "Well, well...I am a student of Kansai University, and I wanted to practice at Kansai University as my base, but Hamada (Mie) sensei is working hard at Kinoshita (Academy) [laughter], so...well...I quit Hamada's team....I decided to quit the Hamada team and move to Honda-sensei's team, which is based at Kansai University, because I wanted to be under his guidance."

-When you said earlier that you were late in preparing for All-Japan, did that have anything to do with it?

Shiraiwa: "Well, I've turned 20 (years old). I've been worrying about many things for a while now, and I think everyone goes through a period of worrying, but I also had a period of worrying. I trained alone for about three or four months before the West Japan Championships, and even then, I was selected to participate in the All-Japan Championships. Practicing on my own was mentally very stressful, so I needed a lot of time to find a place where I could feel safe and where I could work hard together, so I felt like I started training for All-Japan late."

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Any idea what finally happened to her?
So the previous post solved the mystery.

I do recall that in her last competition, Yuna was coaching by Takeshi Honda (together with Satoko). I'll always wonder (for the real reason) why she stopped training with Hamada.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
So the previous post solved the mystery.

I do recall that in her last competition, Yuna was coaching by Takeshi Honda (together with Satoko). I'll always wonder (for the real reason) why she stopped training with Hamada.
I just wish her the best and hope she is happy...truely happy. Some other skaters have coached hopped and that normally, IMHO, is not good. Hamada seems like an excellent coach. Some coaches and skaters dont mix. Like a certain German pairs coach and Alexa K. Or Frank K. and Rafe and anybody! LOL! Thank you for your input

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Yuna is taking a time off for this season and she turned 21 in November. She will come back after she recharges herself physically and mentally as she commented on Instagram.   

Thank you very much! I am now following her. Reading between the lines of her post, I wish her all the best and joy and happiness. After watching her the other night, I hope she comes back but above all, I hope she takes the path that is right for her.

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
I'm glad she is not retiring, she is one of my favorites, always loved her skating and beautiful smile, I hope she come back stronger and happier because I know she still has a lot to show

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Yuna is taking a time off for this season and she turned 21 in November. She will come back after she recharges herself physically and mentally as she commented on Instagram.   

Yuna liked my comment wishing her joy and happiness where ever life takes her.....:love2: There are skaters you just HAVE to love....as people and skaters....

rabidline

Final Flight
Yuna Shiraiwa skated at the Kyoto Figure Skate Festival (March 11, 2023). A fan report said she skated to her senior debut SP, La fille aux cheveux de lin (The Girl with the Flaxen Hair) with single jumps.

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
Yuna shared an instagram storie landing a triple salchaw triple toe loop, wonder if she could fight for a place at the nhk trophy against Rino Matsuike, Mako Yamashita, Yuna Aoki, Rika Kihira and Sena Miyake. Wow it's unbelievable how many talents Japan has