2024-25 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2024-25 Canadian Figure Skating

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
Robert Brodie interview with Lulu Lin.

While Lin’s intent is to move up to senior domestically next season, she still isn’t age eligible for that level internationally. But she’s willing to be patient for that time to come, even if it means a few more years toiling in junior.

“I think there’s always something that I can do to improve, and having a lot of years in junior will help set me up better for senior,” she said.
She also talks about magic tricks :)

Reverie

On the Ice
Zither, Magician, champion figure skater, and the name Lulu....hmmm Lululemon will be calling soon. Watching that Youtube video, I thought wow what great cross training for figure skating. Solo magician having to perform without mistakes in front of a live camera.

Sackie

Medalist
Love her saying “I skated clean at Junior Worlds, and I think all the other competitions during the year really helped me prepare for that competition,” And SLipchuk agrees with her saying that judges remember good skates, - yet Skate Canada doesn't seem to get it with our SR skaters.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Robert Brodie interview with Lulu Lin.

She also talks about magic tricks :)
Amazing interview with our Canadian magician Lulu… what makes her special, is that she knows who she is, at such a young age. You can tell she is a smart girl because she idolizes Nathan’s ability to excel at both skating and school. She takes the unconventional path… and that is what makes her special.

To me, the highlight of the interview is the following:

“I’m working to get a new triple-triple combo as well as improve the more artistic side of my skating … to be able to connect to the music more,” she said. “I’m working toward a triple Lutz-triple toe. It’s going pretty good. I’ve been able to land one or two a day, but I think doing more and more repetitions over the next couple of months will be able to help smooth that out and make it consistent. It hoping to have it in both my short and my long.”

WarmCheers

Rinkside
Slipchuk recognized the achievement as well as the stage of development for young skaters like Lulu,

“She’s at least two years away (from doing senior internationally). But that’s OK, it gives her time to keep developing and keep building and growing,” he said. “She’s probably going to go through some growth, and this is the time to work through that stuff. Competing at the junior level is not a bad thing. It’s a tough category now. She did one Junior Grand Prix (last season), then domestic events and Junior Worlds. It was a very impressive debut for her — she was sixth in the long program. It was great to see, and that opens a lot of eyes when you do that at the Junior World Championships.

“When she gets out on the Junior Grand Prix next season and she puts out some good performances, that goes a long way with the judges because they remember. You definitely help yourself by putting out programs like she did there. Very good for her, very good way to end last year.”

For sure Skate Canada will send her out to JGP next season, even though we don't know which 6 events Canada will be assigned to yet.

WarmCheers

Rinkside
To me, the highlight of the interview is the following:

“I’m working to get a new triple-triple combo as well as improve the more artistic side of my skating … to be able to connect to the music more,” she said. “I’m working toward a triple Lutz-triple toe. It’s going pretty good. I’ve been able to land one or two a day, but I think doing more and more repetitions over the next couple of months will be able to help smooth that out and make it consistent. It hoping to have it in both my short and my long.”
Somehow I recall Lulu had 3Lz+3T in her FS at the first a couple competitions of the season, like the NextGen Comp, Quebec Summer etc. She downgraded her jump difficulties at JGP Gdansk, likely due to injury as she mentioned in the interview. Maybe the combo was lost since then? Hope she can get her jumps back soon and free of injury for the coming seasons.

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
BC/YT Super Series Victoria Day finished up today.

For the junior men, I'm liking William Chan. My early bet is on him for being on the podium for Junior Nationals. David Howes is still my favourite though ❤️

I also thought Amy Shao Ning Yang had a good short, hopefully she'll be able to have a better Challenge this season.

Junior Men Dailymotion (William Chan 24:55 in, David Howes 47:16)
Senior Women/Senior Men - Dailymotion (Amy Shao Ning Yang 5:50, David Li 23:10, their warm-up was combined)

Junior Men Protocols
Senior Men Protocols
Senior Women Protocols

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Somehow I recall Lulu had 3Lz+3T in her FS at the first a couple competitions of the season, like the NextGen Comp, Quebec Summer etc. She downgraded her jump difficulties at JGP Gdansk, likely due to injury as she mentioned in the interview. Maybe the combo was lost since then? Hope she can get her jumps back soon and free of injury for the coming seasons.
Yup. She executed the 3Lz 3T at Next Gen. She has always had that jump combo. But, at Juniors, for the last past season, the single required triple was a 3Lz. So, she doesn’t have a 3F/3Lo/3S-3T combo. So, she focused on the 3T-3T combo instead. Next season, the required triple is 3F. So, she can now re-instate the 3Lz 3T (not sure how consistent this combo, is for her). But, it will be important for her, if she wants to podium at Senior Nationals, and compete at a higher level at Juniors.

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
With many Junior girls may move up to Senior this coming season, Challenge could be tougher than last year.
Yeah, I can see Challenge being tough this year for the women with likely 14 spots again for Nationals. She looked happy with how she did here, so hopefully she can build on it.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Challenge was already a blood bath this year for women. It's going to get even more difficult. Even the current seniors are relatively young.... it's not like anyone in there, except for Gabby if she returns, is older. In other words, it could mean years of very tough internal competition for Canadian women and with very limited international opportunities. I hope it doesn't mean for a generation of lost talent. During the Osmond, Chartrand, Daleman years, the 3 of them at least got to shine. Same during the Rochette and Phaneuf years.

Last edited:

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
BC/YT Super Series Victoria Day finished up today.

For the junior men, I'm liking William Chan. My early bet is on him for being on the podium for Junior Nationals. David Howes is still my favourite though ❤️

I also thought Amy Shao Ning Yang had a good short, hopefully she'll be able to have a better Challenge this season.

Junior Men Dailymotion (William Chan 24:55 in, David Howes 47:16)
Senior Women/Senior Men - Dailymotion (Amy Shao Ning Yang 5:50, David Li 23:10, their warm-up was combined)

Junior Men Protocols
Senior Men Protocols
Senior Women Protocols
William Chan has a lot of potential.

The Good
Already landed a 3Lz 3T combo. He is young and I can see him learning the 3A soon. Reminds me of a younger version of Wesley Chiu.

The Bad
No expression on his face. Skates scared.

David Howes is my favourite. He had a better 2A and 3F than William. However, the second half was much worse. 3Lz 2T (fall)… I was hoping he would go for a 3T 3T combo (if he has it, in his arsenal) instead. Was that supposed to be a 3Lz 3T attempt or just a 3Lz 2T attempt?

Amy Shao
Much better than last year. She is limited in terms of triple jumps. But, her spins and skating skills are top notch. This 50+ SP, along with a 90+ FP would suffice to probably make it to Nationals this season. The cut off last year was 140.02. I can see that cut off being similar this upcoming season.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Yeah, I can see Challenge being tough this year for the women with likely 14 spots again for Nationals. She looked happy with how she did here, so hopefully she can build on it.
Do you know who has byes to Nationals?

1) Madeline
2) Kaiya
3) Sara-Maude

4) Justine
Does Justine get a bye for competing at 4CC? I hope not. I want her to earn her spot to Nationals next season

I’m looking forward to this season.

I hope Gabby Daleman has a resurgence this season.

Also, I’m looking forward to how the Juniors: Lulu, Hetty, Uliana and Rose perform against our Senior Women this season.

Also, I’m looking forward to the NextGen competition to see how our three Novice girls (Lia, Sandrine, Ksenia) compare, to the above 4 Junior Girls.

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
Do you know who has byes to Nationals?

1) Madeline
2) Kaiya
3) Sara-Maude

4) Justine
Does Justine get a bye for competing at 4CC? I hope not. I want her to earn her spot to Nationals next season
Right now the byes to Nationals are Kaiya, Maddie and Hetty since they're the medalists. The other byes won't be known until GP assignments. Since Hetty isn't senior age eligible, whoever gets the SCI host spot will get the bye (plus a spot on the National Team.) That's assuming that Kaiya and Maddie are both assigned there.

Justine could get a bye to Challenge if she gets a Challenger assignment.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Right now the byes to Nationals are Kaiya, Maddie and Hetty since they're the medalists. The other byes won't be known until GP assignments. Since Hetty isn't senior age eligible, whoever gets the SCI host spot will get the bye (plus a spot on the National Team.) That's assuming that Kaiya and Maddie are both assigned there.

Justine could get a bye to Challenge if she gets a Challenger assignment.
Oh yeah! I forgot that the finishers of the podium are the ones that get byes to Nationals. So, byes are:

1) Kaiya
2) Madeline
3) Hetty
4) Sara Maude

I’m pretty sure Sara Maude will get a Senior Grand Prix spot. Wish it was Fee Ann instead.

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
William Chan has a lot of potential.

The Good
Already landed a 3Lz 3T combo. He is young and I can see him learning the 3A soon. Reminds me of a younger version of Wesley Chiu.

The Bad
No expression on his face. Skates scared.
He's about 15 from what I can tell, so he's got time to work on his expression. I wouldn't have been surprised if he busted out a 3A there.
David Howes is my favourite. He had a better 2A and 3F than William. However, the second half was much worse. 3Lz 2T (fall)… I was hoping he would go for a 3T 3T combo (if he has it, in his arsenal) instead. Was that supposed to be a 3Lz 3T attempt or just a 3Lz 2T attempt?
I think it was supposed to be a 3Lz-3T, but he had a wonky landing with a hand down and could only get out a 2T. But he's only done 3Lz+2T before. 3T-3T is safer and he did that earlier, but he'll need the 3Lz+3T to be more competitive. If he was going for it, this was a good competition to try it out at. Hopefully he'll get it, I love his performance and he'll need the harder technical content to move up.