2014-2015 GPF Free Dance 12/13 | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2014-2015 GPF Free Dance 12/13

peg

Medalist
I don't want to blame Nikita, but when she said once: she spend the day asking sorry to Nikita and Morozov for the mistake in the twizzles at Euro. I thought that was telling about their "team spirit", and she wasn't even complaining in that occasion. She was just telling something about the Euros and the mistake.

Wow, really? That's so sad. But given the way Nikita behaved toward Vika after he dropped her, it does seem like he's less able to work as a team. If that's truly the case (always hard to know for sure from the outside) then I'm really glad she's in a better situation now.

rain

Record Breaker
They were extremely over scored here. During the last section it looked very frantic; and what happened to HOLDS? I saw a few in the beginning but after that not very many.

I think you need to watch it again, because that is just out-and-out false. This program is chalk full of difficult behind the back holds throughout. The intricacy of it is one of its strengths.

Alba

Record Breaker
Wow, really? That's so sad. But given the way Nikita behaved toward Vika after he dropped her, it does seem like he's less able to work as a team. If that's truly the case (always hard to know for sure from the outside) then I'm really glad she's in a better situation now.

That's exactly what I thought, when I saw how he reacted there. Although I still do think he was in complete shock there. But that's why I'm happy she is with Ruslan. I admit, I know little about him, but I like what I see so far.

beabstress

On the Ice
I think possibly there was tension between them for some time. People are never at their best in a situation with too much tension. I like her better with Ruslan. I also think Ruslan is better-looking now that he skates with Elena ;)

Yes! He gets more and more handsome every time we see him.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Yes! He gets more and more handsome every time we see him.

I have reviewed I/Z so many times and oh boy, I think I'm in love. They are on the verge of something special. I love their ability to capture tenderness AND passion so believably on ice:eek::

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
I have reviewed I/Z so many times and oh boy, I think I'm in love. They are on the verge of something special. I love their ability to capture tenderness AND passion so believably on ice:eek::

Welcome to the love fest. We have the following T-Shirts:

1- Ruslena Forever!

2. Judge Number 8 sucks.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Yes it is amazing to watch her this year... in many ways she seems like a totally different person. Don't know if Nikita was bringing her down or if she just used to be different and has changed, but it is very obvious her attitude's undergone some adjustment (at least immediately before and after skating), and in the best possible way.

I think it might be because this season is like a dream for her--it started out as a nightmare after she and Nikita split, then it changed when she partnered up with Ruslan. I think they never expected to make it to the GPF or medal at a GP event, so perhaps her good mood is because they're on a minor roll.

peg

Medalist
I think it might be because this season is like a dream for her--it started out as a nightmare after she and Nikita split, then it changed when she partnered up with Ruslan. I think they never expected to make it to the GPF or medal at a GP event, so perhaps her good mood is because they're on a minor roll.
Yes, but even when Ruslan made some mistakes in the SD, she was very supportive toward him, so her good mod isn't just because they're on a roll. I think this partnership is just better for her emotionally.

elif

Medalist
I love Papadakis/Cizeron but how their twizzles got +2s and +3s really strange. They become too close in first set so Cizeron let his blade go. Second set had unison problems, in third set they were apart from each other and lost axis. One judge gave them -1, which is little harsh. But final GOE must be 0 or +1. Clean twizzles should get +2 and +3, not this...

I looked again Papadakis/Cizeron's twizzles and I think -1 judge is right. They lost unison all three sets. According to ISU rules that means no higher than -1.
First set:http://imgur.com/kHs0tap
Second set:http://imgur.com/RNDxBSG,344uELz
Third set:http://imgur.com/RNDxBSG,344uELz#1

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Yes, but even when Ruslan made some mistakes in the SD, she was very supportive toward him, so her good mod isn't just because they're on a roll. I think this partnership is just better for her emotionally.

Honeymoons are like that.

Alba

Record Breaker
There will be bad moments, periods, for sure. Who doesn't have those?
The important thing though is how well can you manage through those bad times.
How supportive you are towards your partnership. That's the real deal, for any team.

sisinka

Medalist
Comparison of Component score:

Skating Skills: Overall skating quality, edge control and flow over the ice surface demonstrated by a command of the skating vocabulary (edges, steps, turns etc.), the clarity of technique and the use of effortless power to accelerate and vary speed. Varied use of power/energy, speed and acceleration.

1. W&P 9.25 points,
2. C&B 8.71 points,
3. P&C 8.57 points,
4. S&S 8.46 points,
5. I&Z 8.39 points,
6. G&P 8.11 points

SD Skating Skills: W&P 8.96 points, C&B and S&S 8.39 points, I&Z 8.07 points, P&C 7.96 points, G&P 7.86 points

Usually at every competition Skating Skills in FD are higher than Skating Skills in SD, don’t ask me why, but probably because through the night all skaters improved their edge and flow quality…

But maybe there is an opinion that skating longer program shows that the skater is more capable of good skating, who knows.

Edge quality and flow is the best in case of I&Z, followed by W&P, then bigger distance and C&B, then P&C and S&S, far behind them G&P (I would give about 0.75 – 1.00 lower then they got).

sisinka

Medalist
Transitions: The varied and/or intricate footwork, positions, movements and holds that link all elements, including the entrances and exits of those elements.

1. W&P 9.18 points,
2. P&C 8.50 points,
3. C&B 8.39 points,
4. S&S 8.07 points,
5. I&Z 8.04 points,
6. G&P 7.79 points

I already made a comparison of Transitions in another Thread:
I&Z and Transitions – they make some turn and get speed, they cover a lot of ice with every step, so it also helps to create a feeling of easy Transitions and empty places. From edges work - they did three turns and single Twizzle, one Bracket from both, Mohawks (beautiful by Lena), beautiful Double Three Turn by both in close hold, Lena doing Spread-eagle, if you want to take Ina Bauer into account also.

Chock & Bates and Transitions – they make some turn and don't get much speed. 90 percent of edges Transations (I don't take hoops and jumps and two footed skating worst noticing, this is not difficult in skating at all) are three turns and single Twizzles – alone or with Evan holding Madison's hand, I notice one Mohawk by Madison, one Mohawk by Evan and one Counter by Evan – all three difficult turns done with no edge or light edge and with very poor quality which wouldn't be counted in Step Sequence.

Shibs and Transitions – Double Twizzle staying on one place by Maia in the beginning of the dance, and then three turns, single Twizzles, Mohawks, one Rocker with no edges by Maia, one Chocktaw with no edge by Maia.

Papadakis & Cizeron and Transitions – probably the couple with the most two footed skating and staying on one place. Ina Bauer by Guillaume, three turns, one lovely Mohawk by Guillaume, some other Mohawks, nice Spread-eagle by Guillaume, not good Double Three Turn by Gabriella, single Twizzle by both. Many moments not in dance close holds, but in hugs. Overall there is a feeling that they skate close together in Transitions, but many of those moments are done when skating two footed straight or standing on one place.

The result is that all couple are doing the same steps – three turns, single Twizzle, Mohawks…

W&P – some Waltz and Killian holds, many interesting variations with Hand-in-Hand hold skating close together, many hoops and little jumps.

C&B – some Waltz and Killian holds, some holds in a style of Waltz and Tango hold. From all couples they have the most dance holds in Transitions.

P&C – something is happening all the time which is great – every second is fulfilled… but many two-footed skating – from overall time in Transitions which is 1:53 – two-footed skating takes 46 seconds, many little jumps and hoops and toe-picks, so for real skating and edge work – there is not much space.

I&Z – some close holds, but dance hold – Waltz and Killian - only some second before Step Sequences, two variations of Hand-in-Hand hold, the rest in simple Hand-in-Hand hold with almost straight arms.

G&P – enough Waltz holds, also some Killian holds, looks to be many cross-overs.

S&S – some Waltz holds, but many many hand-in-hand holds with both arms straight, so the distance between partners is big thanks to it.

sisinka

Medalist
Choreography: An intentional, developed and/or original arrangement of all types of movements according to the principles of proportion, unity, space, pattern, structure and phrasing.

1. W&P 9.43 points,
2. C&B 9.00 points,
3. P&C 8.89 points,
4. S&S 8.50 points,
5. I&Z 8.43 points,
6. G&P 8.29 points

Weaver & Poje have the best choreography. The rest four couples (C&B, S&S, I&Z and G&P) are visibly worse in this point. G&P have the most dancy choreography from those four couples.

I have a little problem how to judge Papadakis & Cizeron’s FD choreography – it looks to be a wonderful and innovative dance, but the more times I am watching it, the more it looks to be wonderful and innovative, but not really the dance. Like many other couples young French choose a love story to be presented on the ice (or at least I saw a love story there). So the choreography should express love and it should express the music.

During the dance there are multiple hugs with arms around partners body (hugs people are doing in real life), hugging with arms around partner‘s head and touches partner’s face – I agree that those are love gestures taken from real life or from movie. But I also think that love and tender feelings can be interpreted in many more ways than using simple hugs only – we are in dancing cathegory, they should use more variety of movements, they should use skating and dancing in the same time – incorporate it all together. Also most of these hugs executed by French team are done in two-feet parts, so in these moment I have a feeling that the dance stopped and there is a break for hugs – they look like two actors on the stage, not two dancers skating on the ice… and then they again start to show some skating – so the dance continues, but then another two-feet and hugs – and I have a feeling that the dance stopped once again.

I remember that many couples were using love story and tender feelings, but I don’t remeber anybody who would use so small variety of dance and skating movements to show those feelings.

Virtue & Moir 2008 FD – watch this choreography, sure there some “real hugs“ also, but there are many and many other movements which certainly shows that the couple is in love. And both Tessa and Scott are skating and dancing for the whole dance, no “break for hugs“ parts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ-jD1RMbIM

The same with Virtue & Moir 2010 FD - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si51Mch1zds .

I know that comparison with Virtue & Moir is tough, but looking at GOE and Component score the French couple is able to get, getting over 100 points even with lower Levels… it is visible that the couple will win European Gold medal even with some stumbles and maybe even with one fall the score will be high enough. Which means that they will be role models for many couples next year…which means that we will suddenly have some junior couples and some senior couples doing multiple hugs staying in two feet in their programs in an attempt to show “real tender feelings“ like French are doing – the quality of skating and dancing will suffer thanks to it.