Ice Dance to be removed from Olympics? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Ice Dance to be removed from Olympics?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
They also have refused to release Tiffany Zahorski, so it is not only stars that they won't release.

The only guy I remember being able to negotiate this mess was the guy who transferred to skate for Italy, Samuel Contesti. who married an Italian.

Last edited:

Mattieu

Medalist
They also have refused to release Tiffany Zahorski, so it is not only stars that they won't release.

The only guy I remember being able to negotiate this mess was the guy who transferred to skate for Italy, Samuel Contesti. who married an Italian.

Also they refused release Jeremie Flemin who was Swiss National Champion, but is now back on IcePartnerSearch.
Estelle Elizabeth who skated with Romain Legac is waiting release skate for Hungary.
There seems a zero release policy. :(

Marien de la Asuncion was released to skate Japan and Neil Brown CZE.
Rumor has it that they were only released to make M. Zazoui look like she only coach foreign couples so DG could persuade the French sports ministry that they should stop her salary as the salary was for coaching French teams. So the contract of M. Zazoui was stopped 2 years early. The battle between the FFSG & Lyon continues...

Last edited:

LRK

Record Breaker
If DG ever comes to power, I suspect we will all be mourning the Glory Days of Saint Speedy...

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Didn't France also only send one ice dance team to worlds this year even though they had two spots and at least two qualified teams?

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
Didn't France also only send one ice dance team to worlds this year even though they had two spots and at least two qualified teams?

Yep. And they sent only 2 men at 2013 Worlds even if they had 3 available spots.
Oh, and when Anaïs Ventard won French Championships beating Maé-Bérénice Meité, Gailhaguet threw a hissy fit threatening not to send any lady at 2013 Euros.

Mattieu

Medalist

And only 1 team to Euros when there were 2 spots ;)

I thought the UK got it's knuckles rapped some years ago for not using all it's junior spots, yet the FFSG gets away without using all it's spots.

Hail the all powerful, despite being batshit crazy DG ....

Last edited:

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Wow, thanky daphenaxa for the detailed background, and everyone for the informative post.

Sad for the skaters of France, and sudenly Speedy is looking good. Hope we never have to put with this guy in ISU, seem like power in his hands is no good for him.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Now Bruno Massot who wants to skate for Germany with Savchenko is hoping for a release but the French fed said they "would never grant him a release". Apparently Chafik Besseghier also wanted a release but didn't get it. So in a nutshell, they prefer destroying their skater's career than releasing them to other feds.

I saw a short interview with Aliona a couple days ago, & apparently they have to wait until July to find out if he will be released. In the meantime he is really struggling financially as they aren't allowed to do shows. What do you want to bet they tell him "no" in July?

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
I saw a short interview with Aliona a couple days ago, & apparently they have to wait until July to find out if he will be released. In the meantime he is really struggling financially as they aren't allowed to do shows. What do you want to bet they tell him "no" in July?

Why aren´t they allow to do shows?

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
Why aren´t they allow to do shows?

Apparently to do shows you do need your fed approval (if you wish to remain an eligible skater for competition) and French federation doesn't want to give Massot approval to do shows if he skates with Alyona.

uhh

Medalist
Everyone complains about Didier, and he can be terrible - yet for years he was saying P/C needed to leave Zazoui, and eventually they did & became world champs, but everyone acts like he still did them wrong ... they were an inconsistent mess under her, even at the lower junior level & no one acknowledges what he saw.

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
Everyone complains about Didier, and he can be terrible - yet for years he was saying P/C needed to leave Zazoui, and eventually they did & became world champs, but everyone acts like he still did them wrong ... they were an inconsistent mess under her, even at the lower junior level & no one acknowledges what he saw.

Yeah well they were training mainly with Haguenauer. And they left France to follow Haguenauer to Montreal. So really there is no genious vision here from Didier.
Also they were wolrd junior silver medalists at worlds and did well in their first senor year while still under Zazoui so well...

Last edited:

Mattieu

Medalist
DG cut P/C funding when they were with Zazoui, so he is incredibly lucky they had enough money to continue.
Didier can take no credit for them at all. He almost destroyed them.

LRK

Record Breaker

Well, I don't follow ice dance, so... but assuming he was right? Even a broken clock is right twice a day... I hardly think being right once in a blue moon makes up for all the times he's wrong. And imposing his will like some kind of dictator hardly is right, whether he may be right or wrong in any given issue.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker

Like daphenaxa said, they were primarily training with Haguenauer in Lyon and followed him to Canada. Also, I'm pretty sure D/L (who were nobodies at the time) were not Didier's first choices as coaches since he basically forced C/J & P/B to train with Shpilband. The only good thing Didier might have done was politick for them after the world fell in love with their FD this year.

(as I've mentioned before) Tiberius being followed by Caligula is how I see it. ;)

Loooove it.

Also another example of Didier's interference: Joubert was forced to withdraw from his GPs in 2013 because he didn't do the French Master's Open in September.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Also another example of Didier's interference: Joubert was forced to withdraw from his GPs in 2013 because he didn't do the French Master's Open in September.
Oh gosh I remember that. Is there any chance for this terrible folk to not replace Speedy?? :bang:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I am not entirely against this idea. Ice Dance is really not a sport when you think of it, just as ballroom dancing is not a sport. It is a completely different discipline. For the most part judging ice dance is difficult because it is so subjective, perhaps that is where the problems lie with ice dance being included in the Olympics.