Country
Canada
Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
They were all wearing them end of the 90s Anissina Lobcheva Grishuk Denkova !
If you are talking about total over the boot tights, yes, it's actually more common in ice dance than you think and was very common in the 90's/00's. Some felt it elongated your lines and it just looks cleaner (which I would agree with). I wore them for competitive ice dance when it lent itself to the program. There were even singles ladies wearing them as well.
What annoys the bleeps out of me is when I see the footless tights (especially on singles skaters) over the boot in competition. No, that is not something you should be doing and looks like crap. I'm always saying "put your **** tights in your boots!" "If you want to wear them over your boots then get full boot tights, not footless tights that are only meant for practice!" Or just get footed tights and wear them in the boot. :bang:

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
If you are talking about total over the boot tights, yes, it's actually more common in ice dance than you think and was very common in the 90's/00's. Some felt it elongated your lines and it just looks cleaner (which I would agree with). I wore them for competitive ice dance when it lent itself to the program. There were even singles ladies wearing them as well.
What annoys the bleeps out of me is when I see the footless tights (especially on singles skaters) over the boot in competition. No, that is not something you should be doing and looks like crap. I'm always saying "put your **** tights in your boots!" "If you want to wear them over your boots then get full boot tights, not footless tights that are only meant for practice!" Or just get footed tights and wear them in the boot. :bang:
Just out of curiosity, do you mean the chopped-off kind like leggings, or the slightly longer ones that cover the heel of the boot but leave the toe of the boot sticking out? Or both? The latter seem to be fairly recent and I'd always worry they were going to pop off the heel and work their way up to wrinkle around the ankle. There used to be just three choices, full tights worn inside the boot (my choice; the idea of skating in bare feet is eww to me although I know many skaters like to), the neatly cutoff legging style that cover the bow and top lacing, and the over-the-full-boot kind, which I used to wear in a matching colour to my dress before pants for the ladies were allowed in competition. Actually as a pair skater I prefer to wear catsuits, but that's another (modesty in lifts) point altogether.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Just out of curiosity, do you mean the chopped-off kind like leggings, or the slightly longer ones that cover the heel of the boot but leave the toe of the boot sticking out? Or both? The latter seem to be fairly recent and I'd always worry they were going to pop off the heel and work their way up to wrinkle around the ankle. There used to be just three choices, full tights worn inside the boot (my choice; the idea of skating in bare feet is eww to me although I know many skaters like to), the neatly cutoff legging style that cover the bow and top lacing, and the over-the-full-boot kind, which I used to wear in a matching colour to my dress before pants for the ladies were allowed in competition. Actually as a pair skater I prefer to wear catsuits, but that's another (modesty in lifts) point altogether.
I only had the three kinds when competitive and wore the footless ones over my boots in practices. They all still exist, it's just the footless ones are taken by the girls now and pulled down over the heel of their boot. IDK WTH they are trying to accomplish but it still looks like crap.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
I only had the three kinds when competitive and wore the footless ones over my boots in practices. They all still exist, it's just the footless ones are taken by the girls now and pulled down over the heel of their boot. IDK WTH they are trying to accomplish but it still looks like crap.
Ah, so it's just a fashion, buying longer footless ones and pulling them down over the heel? That would *really* worry me that they were going to pop off the heel and ride up! I thought they were actually made in that footed-but-toeless shape.