Any advice/tips for a first time World's attendee? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Any advice/tips for a first time World's attendee?

winky97

Medalist
I think that's quite usual for hotels with "special" rates. Most of the time a special rate requires payment at time of booking, so 60 days out - paying in late January, I think? - is actually quite a good deal.

Don't get me wrong, I think the rates are great, just not keen on being out of that much $$$ if Boston has the kind of winter it had last year and Chicago has the kind or crappy winters it has been known to have making it hard for me to get Boston. I'm going to SA and the hotels with the special rate have a normal 24 to 48 hour cancellation policy and they are not precharging for the stay in advance. I have seen hotel offer special rates that you can pre pay for and have taken advantage of such rates, just not months in advance. It is what it is.

I guess given the distance you are traveling Karne and you are not worried about it, it should probably worry less. In a pinch I could always drive.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I guess given the distance you are traveling Karne and you are not worried about it, it should probably worry less. In a pinch I could always drive.

Alternatively, maybe I should worry more :laugh:

I'm so used to paying upfront for hotel bookings that I have to keep reminding myself that I haven't paid for any of the hotels yet. It's actually the most expensive outlay of the whole trip, even including all the airfares!

The thing I am looking forward to most is being able to take my skates in my carry-on when I get to the US. They can lose everything else in my checked baggage for all I care, but those - I would hate to lose those.

lyverbird1

Final Flight
I'm travelling from Ireland and took the plunge and paid up front for accommodation upon booking it but have the security of the hotel having a cancellation and refund policy. I just wanted to get payment for that and the tickets out of the way and absorbed as soon as possible and I'll book flights over the next couple of months as and when special offers pop up so that cost is absorbed too.

I want the precious plastic debt free to use in the city over the course of the week!

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
Received my ticket assignment whilst I was away for the weekend. :dance: Got Section 22, row 14. :) I think that should be a good view for around the rink?

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Section 4, row 19. I wanted something on the judges' side :)

Actually, I must've originally read incorrectly or confused the events... I'm in section 4 as well, just a couple rows ahead. :eek:

Received my ticket assignment whilst I was away for the weekend. :dance: Got Section 22, row 14. :) I think that should be a good view for around the rink?

I'd imagine so, that'd put you directly behind the judges.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Actually, I must've originally read incorrectly or confused the events... I'm in section 4 as well, just a couple rows ahead. :eek:

*gasp* I'm going to be sitting near the famous sabinfire?!?!?!?!? Quick, I need a pot plant!

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
*gasp* I'm going to be sitting near the famous sabinfire?!?!?!?!? Quick, I need a pot plant!

Wait, I don't think that's legal in America (outside of specific places like Ann Arbor)? :think: I usually save that type of stuff for Canada. :biggrin: :laugh:

lyverbird1

Final Flight

I'd imagine so, that'd put you directly behind the judges.

We're all going to be so near each other!!!! Let's collectively wear chiffon garments for instant recognition!

Tanka

On the Ice
We're all going to be so near each other!!!! Let's collectively wear chiffon garments for instant recognition!

You should! Though I can hardly imagine sabinfire wearing it.
I'll watch you on TV, they'll definitely show it. )))

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Hmm, I don't have any chiffon. But I'm pretty sure there won't be that many Australian flags in the arena...

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
You should! Though I can hardly imagine sabinfire wearing it.
I'll watch you on TV, they'll definitely show it. )))

Sorry to say, my wardrobe is sorely lacking in the chiffon department.

Worse yet, it is challenging to locate chiffon-based clothing tailored specifically for men.

What do you think about this casual lace chiffon shirt?

anyanka

Record Breaker
Wait, I don't think that's legal in America (outside of specific places like Ann Arbor)? :think: I usually save that type of stuff for Canada. :biggrin: :laugh:

You must have had a LOT of fun in the Vansterdam... I mean Vancouver Olympics. ;)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Do you think chocolate-type Australian goodies would survive the trip in my suitcase? Maybe not. Can I bring vegemite at least? I might go spare if I have to go a whole month without it.