Any advice/tips for a first time World's attendee? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Any advice/tips for a first time World's attendee?

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States
Yeah, same here! I've never been to Boston or any international events, so this will be pretty new to me (I'd guess it was bigger than Nationals, and thus a different layout, etc). One question: is it absolutely imperative to buy your tickets this far in advance?

There will be tickets on sale for individual events in the fall. I bought my tickets for Worlds in LA this way since I arrived later in the week and wasn't planning on going to every event. I got great seats for the events I went to and spent far less than I would have for an all event ticket. I will be doing the same for Boston.

lyverbird1

Final Flight
I'd be glad to answer any Boston questions from a tourist perspective. I went to US Nationals there and I found Boston to be really easy to get around. It is a really a nice walkable city and the public transit is easy to use.

One food tip: if the rules are the same as nationals, ie you can leave the arena during zamboni breaks with a wristband, I'd recommend doing a fast walk downstairs to the train/subway station (North Station, which is right below the arena). There are a few nice food options and they are at normal prices. I often used the Zamboni breaks to get an iced coffee from the Dunkin Donuts there. There is also a McDonald, a decent pizza place and a healthy food (salads and smoothies) place.

Good tip! I didn't fancy having to rely on stadium hot dogs for sustenance through the competitions. Looking forward to walking some of the city (staying at the Wyndham near the arena) - any tips on what we should prioritise to see?

Yo1

Rinkside
I am so looking forward to this event. I was lucky enough to attend the men's long program at Nationals in Boston which peaked my interest in skating.

The North End (Italian restaurants, bakeries and cafes) and Faneuil Hall (food hall, shops, bars) are all within easy walking distance from the Garden. There is a new indoor, year round, farmers market opening this weekend by Haymarket station, which looks interesting.

As an fyi, there are several websites which offer "virtual" views of seats from different sections (google "seat view TD Garden"). I found these to be helpful in choosing my seats. I am in Section 20 and hope to have a good view of the kiss and cry. Boston is a terrific city, I feel lucky to live here.

owl

On the Ice
I am so looking forward to this event. I was lucky enough to attend the men's long program at Nationals in Boston which peaked my interest in skating.

The North End (Italian restaurants, bakeries and cafes) and Faneuil Hall (food hall, shops, bars) are all within easy walking distance from the Garden. There is a new indoor, year round, farmers market opening this weekend by Haymarket station, which looks interesting.

As an fyi, there are several websites which offer "virtual" views of seats from different sections (google "seat view TD Garden"). I found these to be helpful in choosing my seats. I am in Section 20 and hope to have a good view of the kiss and cry. Boston is a terrific city, I feel lucky to live here.

Welcome to goldenskate! :cheer: And thank you for the helpful advice :)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

Welcome to Golden Skate! Post often and long (especially regarding your Boston tips!) You indeed live in a lovely city.

Good tip! I didn't fancy having to rely on stadium hot dogs for sustenance through the competitions. Looking forward to walking some of the city (staying at the Wyndham near the arena) - any tips on what we should prioritise to see?

I mainly enjoyed trying out various restaurants and eateries around the city. Some good spots:

Drink (http://drinkfortpoint.com/): This is a really cool bar concept. Basically, the bartenders make drinks in front of you and use fresh ingredients. They have a bunch of popular drinks they can make, but the bartender may simply ask you what you're in the mood for and create something not on the menu. The bartenders are super friendly and the format of the bar is conclusive to mingling with other patrons. This is a bit of a hike from the arena, but you can take an Uber or Taxi here pretty easily.

Mike's Pastry (https://www.mikespastry.com/): This is in the North End neighborhood mentioned by Yo1. Famous for their Cannoli.

If you can, be sure to try some of the Sam Adams speciality brews at various restaurants. in Boston, which is their home base, they offer microbrews that they don't offer in other parts of the U.S. I though the Brick Red was pretty good. And I didn't do this, but I hear a visit to the Sam Adams Brewery can be fun and there are companies that offer tours of the city's microbrews.

And for the history buffs there's the Freedom Trail: http://www.thefreedomtrail.org/

I'm on the fence about going. I'd love to go and join you all but my little baby daughter will be 8 months, so I'll have to see whether I can make arrangements for her. I'd love to do another Boston adventure with Mr. P.

waxel

Final Flight
It's a bit more central than the Wyndham - if you use the "T" you should be fine.. From Copley Sq, take the Green Line "T" train marked "North Station" going "Inbound" which goes direct to the TD Garden. Returning, catch the "North Station" T back to Copley Square. Have fun!!

Thank you elbkup!

charmblade

Final Flight
My favorite North End pastry place is Bova's (http://bovabakeryboston.com) and there is an awesome pizza place on the same street called Ernesto's where the slices are basically a third of a pizza, are less than $5, and are delicious (http://www.ernestosnorthend.com).

There's a fun little restaurant near Haymarket station, not too far a walk from the arena called Saus that has Belgian street food- waffles, fries, delicious poutine (http://www.sausboston.com).

The freedom trail is good, lots of history and you can just walk around and do as much or as little as you like. The Esplanade along the Charles River is also a nice place to explore, although maybe not so much in March/April lol. Making a quick trip over to Cambridge to walk around the amazing grand old buildings of Harvard and the quirky, fun architecture of MIT is nice too. Fenway Park is the most visited tourist attraction in New England, for sports fans especially.

Boston also has amazing museums, although they get a bit pricy. The MFA art museum is enormous, the kind of place that requires multiple trips, but has top quality art. The New England Aquarium is also great. The Museum of Science is right down the road from the TD Garden and I would highly recommend it, although I'm a bit biased because I work there ;)

Sam Adams is definitely in every pub/bar around the area but the other local brewery is Harpoon, which also makes really good beer.

kiches

Final Flight
Any locals can comment on what the weather will be like in March/April? I don't mind walking from hotel to public transit but I have zero winter clothes and I'm not sure if I can manage walking on icy/snowy streets if they're slippery.

Layback11

Record Breaker
There will be tickets on sale for individual events in the fall. I bought my tickets for Worlds in LA this way since I arrived later in the week and wasn't planning on going to every event. I got great seats for the events I went to and spent far less than I would have for an all event ticket. I will be doing the same for Boston.

Okay, good. Got my SA tickets, but worlds is so far off that I really don't want to get them yet.

charmblade

Final Flight
Any locals can comment on what the weather will be like in March/April? I don't mind walking from hotel to public transit but I have zero winter clothes and I'm not sure if I can manage walking on icy/snowy streets if they're slippery.

I've only lived in Boston for two winters so I don't have tons of experience, but it seems like the weather is highly variable that time of year. It should be cold but not middle-of-the-winter cold. You will need a jacket for sure, maybe even a winter coat, especially in the evening/at night. There's not a great chance for snow but it could happen (apparently there was an April Fools Day blizzard fairly recently). I know that this past winter isn't exactly a good indicator since we had that ridiculous record-breaking snowfall, but at the end of March beginning of April there was still a couple feet of snow on the ground but all the sidewalks and roads were completely cleared. It had been a while since the last snowfall but we just had so much that the piles hadn't melted yet. Here's hoping for a much milder winter this year!

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Boston is on the ocean so weather can be very changeable especially in late winter/early spring. Staples in my NH/Boston closet include lightweight packable clothing suitable for layering which will serve well at the arena... a thin 3/4 length raincoat with hood, thin quilted equestrian jacket, a light wind proof vest that can be worn under the raincoat or jacket if needed, a good hooded sweater, long sleeve cotton Ts, thin cotton and wool socks, scarf, thin stretch gloves, head bands for ear coverage and a good pair ofwalking shoes/sneakers with traction soles. You may not need all of this BUT you might have to wear everything too. Best to be prepared; makes the difference between being comfortable or miserable.. All can be had at any sports clothing outlet online like llbean or duluth

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
....snow? Like, actual snow?

Should I buy a cheap pair of boots when I get over there? I don't have any boots or shoes suitable for snow. Hmm.

When I sit on panels, I normally wear my fleece-lined uggboots. Do you reckon anyone would look at me funny if I changed my shoes for those when I got into the arena? :p

lyverbird1

Final Flight
....snow? Like, actual snow?

Should I buy a cheap pair of boots when I get over there? I don't have any boots or shoes suitable for snow. Hmm.

When I sit on panels, I normally wear my fleece-lined uggboots. Do you reckon anyone would look at me funny if I changed my shoes for those when I got into the arena? :p

If they do look at you funny... LET 'EM!!!! :p

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Uggboots should be fine. If you need other footwear you can pick them up easily; a sturdy pair of sneakers would work well for walking in rain sleet or snow... Hah! Went to college in Boston then lived/worked there for many years... The saying goes " if you don't like the weather in Boston, wait 5 minutes"...

winky97

Medalist
Is it common for Worlds hotels to require full deposit 60 days before your check in date with no refunds? I ask because I am not really digging that but I can't beat the rate. I purchased an all event but anything could happen by March. Not liking the idea of being stuck to pay hotel $1,000 plus but like I said the rates are a lot better than what I find on my own.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Is it common for Worlds hotels to require full deposit 60 days before your check in date with no refunds? I ask because I am not really digging that but I can't beat the rate. I purchased an all event but anything could happen by March. Not liking the idea of being stuck to pay hotel $1,000 plus but like I said the rates are a lot better than what I find on my own.

I think that's quite usual for hotels with "special" rates. Most of the time a special rate requires payment at time of booking, so 60 days out - paying in late January, I think? - is actually quite a good deal.