How important is costuming? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

How important is costuming?

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I prefer simple attire that let you see the skater clearly as they move. Athletic clothing that is close fitting or simple costuming is attractive to me. If a skater must costume, I like a simple dress, without cutouts or skin toned mesh. Too much ornamentation or mesh looks cheap and takes away from the skate. For men, a menswear look that is tailored is acceptable if more athletic clothing is not worn.

Figure skaters ARE athletes. To be taken seriously, they really should be in athletic attire. (or simple, appropriate costumes that perhaps give a nod to the history of the sport)

When I see an outrageous costume- it makes me think the skater is trying to hide something. ( or buy a win)

Elaborate, gaudy costumes should be reserved for shows. (and Ice Dance)

Can you post a link to costumes you like for men and women? I'm interested to see.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Since my focus is on the actual skating, I can honestly say that Ilia Kulik's "giraffe" costume didn't bother me one bit. OTOH, I guess I'm one of so many who couldn't get past Domnina & Shabilin's aborigine costumes in 2010.

Rule of thumb for me - keep the costumes elegant & understated as much as possible.

Giraffe? You mean like it looked like the animal?

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
P/B
Petit Prince wouldn't have been the same without Nathalie's lovely rose dress /green tights!

I agree costumes are a great appeal in the sport for me too.
After the music selections it's the costumes that we want to know about.

Omg I remember when I saw on NBC during the Olympics what their FD was, I got somewhat happy because I had to read that book when I took IB French 1 SL in 11th grade (My actual reason on why I took that class is pretty stupid to be honest).

Barb

Record Breaker
I'll be immediately shot down again but I wish more skaters just came out in this type of look.

https://instagram.com/p/6GNwrjx9cY/

My interest is in the athletic nature of the sport. The way a skater can use their movements in fascinating ways to create mood and feeling. While I'm not opposed to dresses and costumes....I don't see how they can really add to a program in all situations.

I do have favorite dresses and costumes that come to mind and I have a feeling Mariah Bell is going to make that list this year. So whatever but this is a sport first and foremost and an athletic look should be able to score as well as any other look IMO.

If you think about it, wearing more athletic gear would open the door for sponsors to get involved and skaters could help sell and get endorsements of designed for figure skating products. It seems more likely to me that sales of new dry fit clothes would easily surpass that of skaters buying identical dresses or costumes of their favorite skater and it would be cool to see some signature designs.

I agree but only with some programs, in general simpler costumes are necessary. To skate R&J in a practice clothes would be weird but for example Yulia´s last SP would to look very well, Yuzu´s Chopin program too. Anyway for me a good costume is a plus, usually I can appreciate the skating regardless the costume.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I was talking with a friend about why Men's gymnastics has such a relatively small fan-base in Japan compared to Men's Figure Skating in recent years. (we are fans of both)
-Both have very attractive men (gymnastics men, arguably even more-so)
-Both have difficult twisting and performing movements
-Team events
-Single events
-World and Olympic Gold Medal winners (Gymnastics even more than skating)

It seemed that it must be the music and costumes...the sense of fantasy and theater. Totally not sports related, but that is what attracts people. It certainly attracts me. :p

That is exactly why I watch skating and can't get into any other sport. But simple costumes are fine imo as long as it looks like there was some effort. Like Michal's Japanese Kodo Drums costume...looks super comfortable, but it fits the theme of the program.

This one from Tomas was really cute and not overly fussy. The Czech guys generally dress well. :thumbsup: But the blinged-out hot mess costumes are entertaining to me, too. :popcorn:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
it is very important, case in point, JuliaLip's red coat (That is literally one dress made a program, a name, a career and a star).

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
Figure skating is a unique combination of sport and performing art, IMO. Skaters are athletes as well as performers. Elaborate costuming is fine by me, even when when some of the costumes turn out ugly. The best costumes complement the program/music/choreography in some way without being over the top and distracting. Michelle Kwan's Lyra Angelica dress fit the music and theme of the program in its elegant simplicity.

Sometimes program/music/choreography can be difficult to costume to, so then the next-best thing is costuming that flatters that skater, making them stand out without being garish or tacky.

I'm not sure how to sum up my feelings on pairs costumes, but Elena and Anton in 2002 had some of my favorite costumes:

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/de...Berezhnaya Sikharulidze 7_0.jpg?itok=E_PgVsPC

The colors are pretty unique, and the similarity emphasizes how well-matched they are. They're very elegant without being dull.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/7e/6e/0e/7e6e0e593b8b43360af0704ed704dd74.jpg

Very different from their SP costumes, the unmatching costumes here highlight Moskvina's choreography, given that they are not choreographed to be making the same movements at the same time (what's this style of pairs choreo called? I'm blanking.) Plus, the red puts a bit more emphasis on Elena as compared to Anton, which is fine, because she's the pair lady.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
We may never really know how important costumes are as we cannot be sure how they influence or affect the judges overall read of a performance or program. Certainly they are important if they lead to deductions and arguably if they disguise poor body lines ie longskirt or create a more flattering figure or shape that goes with the theme or music then they can have a role. They can be a good or a negative role in a performance I suppose. If they are not practical they can cause problems like hair - deductions, falls or make certain moves harder or perhaps easier ie Domina and Shalabin. In general they can add to the artistic impression or take away but that is quite up to the interpreter.They can be a positive or a negative enhancement to the program adding to the over all look or in some cases a distraction in a bad way.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
But Cellobutt got a costume violation because it was an entirely inappropriate costume. There is no sport in the world that would allow someone to have the appearance of mooning.

I'd prefer to think the -1 deduction for 'costume failure' was for the costume itself, though in actuality, the deduction was for a hair accessory falling onto the ice.

Layback11

Record Breaker
IDK if it's just me but http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Zijun+Li+ISU+Four+Continents+Figure+Skating+kQRXtNv01nrl.jpg This is a costume that completely made the program for me (that and the cross-grab Chinese spiral...:love:). I mean, the program was gorgeous as well, but it would not have been the same without that dress. Just...yes.

And I remember there was a couple at 2015 US Nats in which the girl's dress for the paso SD was black and white paisley with giant tiered ruffles. It didn't exactly help the program. (My dad loved them, LOL...)

http://photography.ice-dance.com/2014-15/15USNat/Sr/SD/page/3/

Another couple at the same event did their FD in *shudder* pleather! I really, really, really hate pleather! (Music was Game of Thrones, BTW.) It didn't exactly ruin the program, but the music was incredibly repetitive and droning, and they weren't particularly spectacular skaters, so...it was very blah.
https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/figure-skating-costumes-3782610/ashlyn-gaughan-cody-lithco-skating-their-4170695696

And one other couple at Nats wore a neon yellow dress with black polka dots...skating a Paso. Completely irrelevant to the program, IMHO. While I appreciate non-red paso dresses, there are some that just don't work. Not my favorite, but hey-about half the clothing my brother owns is some variant of that color, so...to each his own. (My dad and I decided that Kseniya is his soul mate because, well, neon yellow. :p

http://eventcoverage.ice-dance.com/ms/usnationals15/images/senior/Ponomaryova-Altukhov-14LPIDC-SrSDA-9083-PA-KW_595.jpg

When getting costumes, I think all skaters should ask several unbiased third parties for their opinions. If they get any of the following responses, it should probably be destroyed in a glorious fireball:

A) "It looks like a(n) (insert animal, plant, instrument, anything dead)!"
B) "What exactly does this costume have to do with (music)?"
C) "The 80's called. They want their costume back."
D) "I think this costume might hurt your public image/the judges won't like this."
E) "This costume is a violation of an ISU costuming rule."
F) "I am concerned that this costume may be too risque." (Mostly with younger skaters)
G) "You do realize you don't actually have to be the Firebird, right?"
H) No response, speechless in horror
I) Any kind of horrified gibberish
J) "Wait, what are you again?"
K) "Put a shirt on!"
L) "Something just fell off your costume!"
M) "#(@&#$)(!#&$(!*)_*@)*)*@$&%&#%!%$&^!$@#*!@%!!!!!!!!!!"
N) (Pained facial expression) "You look...so very interesting, dear."
O) "You're gonna skate in that?!?

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful