How important is costuming? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

How important is costuming?

Rissa

Record Breaker
A) "It looks like a(n) (insert animal, plant, instrument, anything dead)!"
B) "What exactly does this costume have to do with (music)?"
C) "The 80's called. They want their costume back."
D) "I think this costume might hurt your public image/the judges won't like this."
E) "This costume is a violation of an ISU costuming rule."
F) "I am concerned that this costume may be too risque." (Mostly with younger skaters)
G) "You do realize you don't actually have to be the Firebird, right?"
H) No response, speechless in horror
I) Any kind of horrified gibberish
J) "Wait, what are you again?"
K) "Put a shirt on!"
L) "Something just fell off your costume!"
M) "#(@&#$)(!#&$(!*)_*@)*)*@$&%&#%!%$&^!$@#*!@%!!!!!!!!!!"
N) (Pained facial expression) "You look...so very interesting, dear."
O) "You're gonna skate in that?!?

That covers every costume ever madeand every single costume yet to be made. As much as I'd love to see skaters skate naked, they are actually required to wear something .

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Does it matter to the judges? -I mean, short of an actual costume deduction for overly revealing outfits and outfits that fall off, would a horrible costume make any difference in a judges scores of a program?

Costumes are important to me and I love to see a well made or unique costume. -It just seems to me that it's not something the judges even consider unless it is worthy of a penalty for breaking the rules.

For example, Yuzu had that (to me) awful Romeo and Juliet costume at the Olympics. Kurt Browning even mentioned that he 'couldn't take Yuzu seriously' in that outfit. -But who won gold at all the major events?

In the past few Seasons, Brezina has stood out to me to have very well made and classy costumes.

http://www.absoluteskating.com/interviews/2013michalbrezina2/Dsc_6272-2.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/58/0d/ca/580dca6f94e9b41951bb31882fe85a3c.jpg

http://www.absoluteskating.com/articles/2015euros/SPJ_0570report.JPG
http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Michal+Brezina+2015+Shanghai+World+Figure+C1iUCUyn41Nl.jpg

Thematic, without looking cheap. A great level of detail, but not too garish.

To round up my thoughts; costumes are for the fans to enjoy and/or hate. It is something to talk about and gives another layer to Skating and sets it apart from other sports. I don't think they should have much bearing on the scores of any skater. That should be determined by their actual skating.

Well when Yuzuru was stationary it was a pretty "huh?" costume but I guess since he was moving around so much and we were anticipating all the stuff he had packed in the second half you can kind of ignore how heinous it is.

Also Michal Brezina has a very well made and classy face #notthirstyatall

Anyway, costuming is very important, it can help tell the story, figure skating is obviously a very unique sport, you must combine so many different things, the costuming is a lot of fun imo, being able to be creative with not only your movements but also your clothes and make up to express your athleticism and art.

Amei

Record Breaker
I like the costume aspect of figure skating, even the awful ones - we have websites dedicated to the ugly/awkward/inappropriate, that make for interesting discussions

http://skatingfugly.tumblr.com/

And, we have the stunning costumes that leave us breathless and make iconic routines, and give us things to talk about for years.

Layback11

Record Breaker
I like the costume aspect of figure skating, even the awful ones - we have websites dedicated to the ugly/awkward/inappropriate, that make for interesting discussions

http://skatingfugly.tumblr.com/

And, we have the stunning costumes that leave us breathless and make iconic routines, and give us things to talk about for years.

I love that tumblr, LOL. It's where I learned about Cellobutt...:laugh2:

loopy

Final Flight
I think it is interesting how I feel about some costumes the first few times I see them - the nude leotard covered with colored lace or the swim suit cover up for example. I hated them. But now, I like them. So I don't mind when skaters take costume risks, some end up working.

Layback11

Record Breaker
I think it is interesting how I feel about some costumes the first few times I see them - the nude leotard covered with colored lace or the swim suit cover up for example. I hated them. But now, I like them. So I don't mind when skaters take costume risks, some end up working.

Wait...is the beach cover up Liza's Muumuu?

I did a write up of SA last year (before I had a blog, so it's not online) and one of the things I commented on were best and worst costumes. Both muumuus made the "worst" section (although the purple one is very slightly growing on me), and I called them "skimpy leotards under ill-fitting tunics with some illusion and crystals for good measure," lol :laugh2: I guess we all started coming up with our own names for them, lol.

alia jackson

Record Breaker
To round up my thoughts; costumes are for the fans to enjoy and/or hate. It is something to talk about and gives another layer to Skating and sets it apart from other sports. I don't think they should have much bearing on the scores of any skater. That should be determined by their actual skating.

Plus the intangible result of costuming which is reaching casual viewers and fans via fanart. A small examples below among the thousands out there:

- Kids in costumes

- Fanart for charity: postcards, keychains/accessories

- Drawings...more

- Sample of Newbiespectator gorgeous art Seimei and Requeim

- Newbie's sister "Hana Ne Nare" , "Story" cakes, Poto macaroon

- Phones' covers

- Candles

- Water bottle cover and fanmade.

- Nail arts

- Off-season engagement “what colour for next season”?

- A funny one of an ex costume

Last edited:

noskates

Record Breaker
I think whatever the costume is it shouldn't be distracting. It should have some connection to the music if possible - Jason's Riverdance, for example. But not silly - Ryan Bradley's military uniform for his Bugle Boy program. One thing I really hate is when ice dancers wear long dresses. I get the "ballroom dancing" hook but you can't see their legs and their feet are difficult to follow. Tanith Belbin was great for that. The poofy hems just distract from the footwork, wrap around both skaters and don't serve any real purpose. Stuff hanging off of costumes - feathers, ribbons, lace, etc. No. Just no. See through or skimpy - not interested. I thought Michelle, Rachel Flatt, Jill Trenary, and Sasha Cohen had beautiful costumes always. I don't like it when the girl's panties don't fit and you see half their butt - Carolina Kostner and specifically Katelyn Osmond. How difficult is it to get a costumer that fits? I think Gracie Gold's costumes for the most part are absolutely stunning. Not so much Ashley Wagner's.

Bottom line (no pun intended) I guess it's all up to an individual's taste.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... We saw it when thousands of GSers lamented endlessly about a certain fairy program that involved an infamous pink dress. ...

LOL, let's not get carried away. Dozens maybe. But not even hundreds.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
P/B
Petit Prince wouldn't have been the same without Nathalie's lovely rose dress /green tights!

I agree costumes are a great appeal in the sport for me too.
After the music selections it's the costumes that we want to know about.

Hehe, yes. That was a brilliant costuming choice.

Compare: http://web.icenetwork.com/assets/im...uts/PechalatBourzat_FD2_ssu88hgw_yl9kiw3t.jpg
to http://www.lamberts.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/littleprincefoxrose.jpg

And of course their Rolling Stones LP with Fabian and his red pants (points to the title under my username). Their Mummy and Pharaoh and Circus costumes were brilliant, too.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Elena Leonova's Chapin costume is one of my all time favorites.

Yuna's James Bond SP

Last edited:

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker
I feel that costumes can be a significant factor in putting a skater into a mentally competitive state. When they get on the ice in their competition costume they are telling themselves they are there to compete and execute their program to the best of their ability. Of course, a skater's own taste preference as well as functionality should be considered. It's easier to project confidence when we think we look good and feel comfortable.

Amei

Record Breaker
Wait...is the beach cover up Liza's Muumuu?

I did a write up of SA last year (before I had a blog, so it's not online) and one of the things I commented on were best and worst costumes. Both muumuus made the "worst" section (although the purple one is very slightly growing on me), and I called them "skimpy leotards under ill-fitting tunics with some illusion and crystals for good measure," lol :laugh2: I guess we all started coming up with our own names for them, lol.

My thing with Liza's costumes is the amount of loose fabric with them, on the podium - she looks gorgeous in them but on the ice when she's moving with all that loose fabric they were ugly. Hopefully they give her better costumes this year - maybe she should borrow Lipnitskaia's or Gold's costume designer, they seem to generally always have really pretty costumes.

Layback11

Record Breaker
My thing with Liza's costumes is the amount of loose fabric with them, on the podium - she looks gorgeous in them but on the ice when she's moving with all that loose fabric they were ugly. Hopefully they give her better costumes this year - maybe she should borrow Lipnitskaia's or Gold's costume designer, they seem to generally always have really pretty costumes.

Okay, are you a mind reader or something? Because that's exactly my problem too! And I love most of Gracie and Yulia's costumes as well (although Yulia's cream R&J dress was...meh. The rest were okay). Another skater who has some costumes I love is Maria Sotskova (as do Elena and Zijun).

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Plus the intangible result of costuming which is reaching casual viewers and fans via fanart. A small examples below among the thousands out there:

- Kids in costumes

- Fanart for charity: postcards, keychains/accessories

- Drawings...more

- Sample of Newbiespectator gorgeous art Seimei and Requeim

- Newbie's sister "Hana Ne Nare" , "Story" cakes, Poto macaroon

- Phones' covers

- Candles

- Water bottle cover and fanmade.

- Nail arts

- Off-season engagement “what colour for next season”?

- A funny one of an ex costume
Heheh, a shameful secret has been uncovered. :laugh: But yes, fan involvement in figure skating has a lot to do with the drama of costume choices and imagining what will be worn next. For someone focusing mostly on the athletic side of figure skating I understand how it might be annoying. But I hope skating costumes, good and bad, continue to be a part of figure skating for the sake of the fans who like it and even for the fans who don't.
See how we have 4 pages already on this topic? It gives us something to talk about during a time when the major events of figure skating are at their lowest ebb. When a casual fan might wander off and look elsewhere for entertainment, if there suspense and drama around the music and costume choices of their favorite skater, they will remember to come back when the season starts again to see what was chosen and compliment or complain about it loudly to their friends. A win-win situation.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Okay, are you a mind reader or something? Because that's exactly my problem too! And I love most of Gracie and Yulia's costumes as well (although Yulia's cream R&J dress was...meh. The rest were okay). Another skater who has some costumes I love is Maria Sotskova (as do Elena and Zijun).
All zijun's senior dresses are designed by a Canadian designer. Also Yuna's 2010 quad dresses are all designed by a Canadian designer as well.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I long for some simple and classical costume which has no jem (or almost). Any suggestion?