Who will make it to the JGP final? | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Who will make it to the JGP final?

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
ZAgreb

Instead of sending to Zagreb Wakaba Higuchi
I would send there Yura MATSUDA (and Marin Honda).

You never know...

I'm sure Wakaba will be better than her previous competition but at this point sending Yura seems more accurate to me too.

On the other side, I'm not sure if Serafima can pull up just in a week. That Czisny-type meltdown was painful to watch.

witcher

Match Penalty
One more scary thing is that Sima seems to be the only person able to help Alisa to qualify to GPF next week.
Question is, has she the strength and will to fight for a friend (she has no chances herself)? :drama:

This is big time drama going on... :slink:

oleada

Record Breaker
Wow, that's a great question! :think:

I don't think that should be an issue at all.

I like Wakaba better, but based on the results, Yura should get the spot.

Selfishly, I hope Alissa and Marin are the last two qualifiers. Because they're the ones I like best :)

hanca

Record Breaker
I don't think that should be an issue at all.

I like Wakaba better, but based on the results, Yura should get the spot.

Selfishly, I hope Alissa and Marin are the last two qualifiers. Because they're the ones I like best :)
A bit of luck is needed. Yura needs to finish third, so if Russia sends any girl who could medal (gold or silver) and Marin beats Yura, your wish has been granted!

hanca

Record Breaker
A bit of luck is needed. Yura needs to finish third, so if Russia sends any girl who could medal (gold or silver) and Marin beats Yura, your wish has been granted!

Saying that, although Marin was 2nd in her event and Yura only third, Marin's season best is 156 and Yura's 178, which means that Yura is likely to beat Marin and then if they both medal, both are in and Feditchkina is out.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Is the NO chance for other countries now? Russia VS Japan again in the ladies?
What about US?

No chance. Da Bin Choi (KOR) and Vivian Le (USA) have 22 points but others with that many points (Alisa, for example) beat them due to placement. So at this point it's a matter of how many Russians and how many Japanese will be there.

Russia has 2 guaranteed, Japan 1. Mai Mihara looks good, so that's 2 for Japan.

So 2 spots left between Alisa, Higuchi (or Matsuda) and Marin.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Paige could beat Alisa if she wins in Croatia, but yes, this is all Russia and Japan at this point.

actualrealliveanna

On the Ice
Fantasy dream scenario :love:

Brynne MCISAAC
-going to Zagreb (currently she is a substitute) instead of Sarah Nunez or Paige Rydberg
- winning in Zagreb. :bow:

She is in the final.

Anyway -already- congratulations Maoming girl (lady) :) :cheer2:

I am seriously hoping that happens. She was by far the most enjoyable to watch this week and she's got some serious talent.

The Finn

Record Breaker
One more scary thing is that Sima seems to be the only person able to help Alisa to qualify to GPF next week.
Question is, has she the strength and will to fight for a friend (she has no chances herself)? :drama:

This is big time drama going on... :slink:

Well, Diana did pretty well on her 1st event but it was not the best she can do. I could see her scoring 170. Besides Yura was overscored, I doubt that we will see a similar score from her in the next event assuming she will be there.

Sima's situation is most challenging. Since Russia doesn't have a single substitute she has to skate at the next event. This could be a recipe for a disaster but this is also an opportunity for her to show how mentally tough she really is.

Last edited:

hanca

Record Breaker
Well, Diana did pretty well on her 1st event but it was not the best she can do. I could see her scoring 170. Besides Yura was overscored, I doubt that we will see a similar score from her in the next event assuming she will be there.

Sima's situation is most challenging. Since Russia doesn't have a single substitute she has to skate at the next event. This could be a recipe for a disaster but this is also an opportunity for her to show how mentally tough she really is.
I love your optimism regarding Pervushkina, but her personal best is 159! Last season her scores (including home competitions) ranged from 143-158. Realistically I think there is bigger chance of Serafima pulling herself together, than hoping that Pervushkina scoring some amazing score. Even if Yura was over scored, I can't see Pervushkina beating her. Whereas I could see Serafima beating her.

The Finn

Record Breaker
I love your optimism regarding Pervushkina, but her personal best is 159! Last season her scores (including home competitions) ranged from 143-158.

Last year means pretty much nothing this year and this year means pretty much nothing next year. That PB came with a bad fall at her opening jump in FS and that isn't the only thing she can improve. I can definitely see that she can score above 110 points in FS with a clean skate. And with a clean SP that would be enough for a total score about 170. Whether she will skate clean or not and whether that will be enough to beat Yura or not remains to be seen.

hanca

Record Breaker
Last year means pretty much nothing this year and this year means pretty much nothing next year. That PB came with a bad fall at her opening jump in FS and that isn't the only thing she can improve. I can definitely see that she can score above 110 points in FS with a clean skate. And with a clean SP that would be enough for a total score about 170. Whether she will skate clean or not and whether that will be enough to beat Yura or not remains to be seen.
Last year may mean nothing, but the fact that she has NEVER scored higher than 159 (not even at home competitions) makes it less likely that she will suddenly score around 180. She didn't improve that'll much, otherwise she wouldn't be doing so average at her previous competition this year.

The Finn

Record Breaker
Last year may mean nothing, but the fact that she has NEVER scored higher than 159 (not even at home competitions) makes it less likely that she will suddenly score around 180. She didn't improve that'll much, otherwise she wouldn't be doing so average at her previous competition this year.

Well, in reality you are the only one speaking about 180. It is also very funny that since Yura scored close to a 180 points people started to think that this would be a normal score for her at every competition now on which is most definitely not the case at this point. Despite watching several of Yura's videos before JGP Spain I did not see that she could score that high but I did see that she can score a lot more than her earlier PB which was something like 146. And based on Alisa's 1st event I could also very easily see that she can score above 180. If the skills are there now it doesn't matter what they scored last year at their domestic competitions.