I know its my destiny
Pokemon, oh, you're my best friend
In a world we must defend

Pokemon, (gotta catch them all) a heart so true
Our courage will pull us through
You teach me and I'll teach you
(Po-ke-mon) Gotta catch 'em all

:rofl: :laugh2: :points:

eta: I'm laughing so hard because I love the fact that the Pokemon theme showed up in a fs thread. That is amazing :laugh:

Rissa

Record Breaker
I took a closer look at yhe scores and how was Shoma Uno behind Max Aaron on PCS? Their presentation was poles apart with Max's movement having little to do with the style of the music. The same with Menshov actually, his choreography and movement corresponded with the music... :scratch: Must be the home inflation for Max.

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
Yeah that sweatshirt is something those judges will wear on Sunday for breakfasts.

Pokemon program would be ace... Can you think of anyone else do a better Pokemon program? May be an exhibition program, with Hanyu as the ultimate Pokemon Master! I will PAY to see that :biggrin:

Ngl I would kill to see Shoma and/or Yuzuru do a pokemon program lol. That would be the most iconic exhibition program since Plush 2001 sex bomb.

Icey

Record Breaker
Just watched the videos and then looked through the last couple of pages of your comments. For me Ross Miner's performance was gorgeous (very few people seem to agree). Couldn't believe Menshov's marks. Max's jumps were perfect but his artistry still looks manufactured. Bychenko looks much better with short hair!

I agree that Max'x artistry looks manufactured and forced. It certainly does not appear natural, and at times he looks like he is mocking male skaters who have that kind of artistry in a comedy routine. IMHO we need to get away from this limited view of what constitutes artistry, which results in skaters like Max feeling he has to go astray imo in this way.

Rissa

Record Breaker
I wish Max Aaron would wear costumes like Shoma Uno's --- dark, all one color, and with a V neck. That would make him look taller and more impressive. The white-on-black look just cuts him in two and makes Max look a bit chunky, and the blousy tops actually makes him look as if he has a bit of a gut.

My thoughts exactly, since last year. Max's FS, ahem, "costume" looks more a training outfit but it actually showcases his muscular figure. His SP one is terrible. If a guy really has no idea of proportion, they really should get a pow wow with their girlfriend/mother/sister or preferably all of them.

IMHO we need to get away from this limited view of what constitutes artistry, which results in skaters like Max feeling he has to go astray imo in this way.

I agree. Max is wasting his potential on trying to skate like Denis Ten instead of trying something that suits him. Look at his LP: he's not trying to be balletic (despite ballet music) and it works WAY better than his SP.

Ooo, I 'm really harping on Max, aren't I. I swear I would have been easier on his attempts at classical skating if he only wore better costumes. I'm shallow.

Adian Pitkeev won this. HE WON.

Max Aaron's inferior skating skills, performance, and interpretation can take a seat. TAKE A SEAT.

Adian Pitkeev? He was so... forgettable.

Last edited:

HanDomi

Record Breaker
I agree with some comments on Han Yan. It doesn't matter what he skates too, last year SP, this, or R&J he always move the same way. He has good skills but it seems he don't know how to go out of the box with his overall movements and adjust to program style

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I think Max was put first only because he was skating in US. Other than his jumps nothing really works. Spins were almost basic, steps and interpretation were the worst among all the other boys in this competition. Even the Australian had better choreo/steps.
Pitkev was amazing, maybe the best of all, but he payed the price for being too young and skating in US. Uno must have won this short, but he fell...
Konstanin was also amazing...his artistic/steps are better than Max but not in the same league with Jason or Shomo, even Adian. May be he is partly a bit styled the old way. But I really loved his skating!

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Biggest Combo
Skated Clean
No Negative GOEs
Skate of a life time
@ Skate AMERICA.

What's the problem? It is not like he got outrageous PCS.

I am glad big quad combos get some bonus in PCS, they are undervalued. Good news for Patrick too.
If I was to complain about PCS, I'd have Menshov above Shoma. Or Shoma underneath Menshov.

In fact, can someone explain to me why Menshov received a -2 GOE from one of the judges for his perfectly good 4S? Very strange!

Last edited:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Though Max isn't my fave men's single skater, I'm happy he got first in the 1st in the SP. Well-deserved.

Like I said. I'm not sad nor disappointed that Jason got 8th. I thoroughly enjoyed his SP! It was fabulous! I can't wait for the FP! :D

Florent....well I explained to my dad that Florent is pretty eccentric.

Alexei....Shame about the jumps. His StSq was very enjoyable though.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
In fact, can someone explain to me why Menshov received a -2 GOE from one of the judges for his perfectly good 4S? Very strange!

For the lack of steps before solo jump. The same should go to Ten who does completely nothing before his solo quad, but always goes away with it. Here he had fall so doesn't matter

Rissa

Record Breaker
Ngl I would kill to see Shoma and/or Yuzuru do a pokemon program lol. That would be the most iconic exhibition program since Plush 2001 sex bomb.

Since Super Javi. Sex Bomb -> Super Javi -> Pokemon sound like the right progression. :biggrin:

Meoima

Match Penalty
I really hate the word "artistry" now. Whatever suits your taste you call "artistry" and it's funny because your "artistry" doesn't match mine. There was a day I used this word, back then I had no other words to use. But I really hate it now and I feel ashamed of using it.
Go Max, prove people that their view of artistry doesn't mean anything to you!

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Shuma has some very extreme combination:
As a skater, he is very expressive, and her dance ability is no less than Jason Brown
As an adult man, he is so short, and also has the strangest body proportion. He has a big head, but narrow shoulders, which is aesthetically unpleasant. He also loves to ware crew neck or deep V neck, making his proportion even more wired.
His jumps are not good looking, with extremely knee bend. With his short legs, when he lands, his knee is so close to the ice. :shocked:

Hush now, he is adorable and handsome at the same time and has amazing flow on his jump landings! Plus he's only 17, he might get taller still and his shoulders will probably get broader to balance his "big head" as he continues to mature. Boy can do no wrong in my book. He has pizazz, and can somehow manage to be both sexy and cute. Plus with Dai being retired he's really clutch.

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States
I'm not understanding all the Max haters out there. :confused: The program, while not my favorite piece of music, was a HUGE improvement from what he's done in the past and the cleanest one of the night.

I have no problem with the placements other than I probably would have had Menshov before Yan. Han's never ending series of cheesy programs is getting old and totally unsuited for him. Why isn't he doing something more modern that showcases his speed and power? I really can't stand the pasted on smile as he faces the judges. So fakey and contrived. I haven't seen his LP yet, so am hoping tonight I'm pleasantly surprised.

MIM

Medalist
Go Max, prove people that their view of artistry doesn't mean anything to you!
Yay!!! I was most impressed with max. His jumps were magestic and his body expressed every nuance of the music. He needs neither the extreme flexibility nor pack of chores. His program has a right amount of movement that he can handle with grace and passion. I guess this is the best partnership between achoreographer and a skater. His tears after the performance was so heartbreaking. Go Max!

Uno skates with so much emotion. I appreciate the genuine, honest, deep, rich feeling that he brings every time to the ice.

Denis. Wow... He made me think even genius Uno a little child. He is a beeeeeaaaaaautiful skater.

Adian is a full package just like his teammate Evgenia. These youngsters skated beautifully without any mistakes, but they could use a little bit more of attack presentation-wise. I expect great things from them both.

rain

Record Breaker
Just watched the videos and then looked through the last couple of pages of your comments. For me Ross Miner's performance was gorgeous (very few people seem to agree). Couldn't believe Menshov's marks. Max's jumps were perfect but his artistry still looks manufactured. Bychenko looks much better with short hair!

Ross Miner's was the performance of the night for me. I love Billy Joel anyway, but I thought the choreography and interpretation of the music was absolutely spot on, and I found his energy in the performance to be tops of the night as well.

I agree that Max'x artistry looks manufactured and forced. It certainly does not appear natural, and at times he looks like he is mocking male skaters who have that kind of artistry in a comedy routine. IMHO we need to get away from this limited view of what constitutes artistry, which results in skaters like Max feeling he has to go astray imo in this way.

Max's artistry wasn't thrilling, but I found Han Yan's to be worse. He looked like he was embarrassed by his choreography and didn't want to be doing it. Menshov is just incredibly dull. I found my mind drifting as he skated — and this is only the SP.

For all that, I thought the judging was pretty spot on. The cleanest, most technical skates are all virtually tied at the top of the leader board. They all had very similar weaknesses.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, most of my predictions have gone out the window, lol.

I don't think anyone could've predicted Max being in first place going into the free skate (although he's really almost in a three way tie) but I think it's great for his confidence. He had a great SP at Nebelhorn too and a not so great FS there so hopefully he can pull things together.

Rissa

Record Breaker
I found Han Yan's to be worse. He looked like he was embarrassed by his choreography and didn't want to be doing it. Menshov is just incredibly dull. I found my mind drifting as he skated.

Huh. I thought Menshov had one of the better programs. Quite honestly, from the top 3, Aaron, Menshov and Han Yan's, I liked his best by far.

I agree about Han Yan though, that jazzy program doesn't work for him. I wonder why he didn't veto it. Maybe he honestly likes them...? :confused2: He's kinda like Javi with his free programs, but Javi's work a bit better since he's actually pulling them off.