2015 Skate America Mens SP Oct 23 | Page 26 | Golden Skate

2015 Skate America Mens SP Oct 23

xabia

On the Ice
Just watched the videos and then looked through the last couple of pages of your comments. For me Ross Miner's performance was gorgeous (very few people seem to agree). Couldn't believe Menshov's marks. Max's jumps were perfect but his artistry still looks manufactured. Bychenko looks much better with short hair!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm a little confused after watching the skates and reading the comments.
Max Aaron is the clear winner of the short (though he isn't point wise).

I don't understand why people are so shocked that Max won the SP. Like, reading comments on Twitter, and Facebook, in this thread, in articles, it seems like almost no-one expected him to do anything. Even looking at the predictions thread, most people have him 5th or 6th and some didn't even have him on the list. Like, seriously, what the...? Why do so few people have faith in the SnuggleBat?

phaeljones

On the Ice
. . .

He was better here, and the clean short helped, but he still looks like, to me, a hockey player who is "doing" figure skating, rather than a figure skater skating a program. Maybe I'm being too critical, but he's just got so much DAMN talent for the athletic part of the sport that the lagging aesthetic part drags the whole thing down for me.

He might grow over the season to smooth that out a bit. If he can do that, it will be a masterpiece. Although I agree with his score, that performance still has his trade mark clunkiness between the jumps, like . . . although he gives the music some acknowledgement by not losing his place, he still neither feels the music or has any connection to it other than that he is in the same room while it is playing. However, those jumps - oh my. During the jumps, he was connecting and feeling. Those jumps were not just a body leaving the ice and coming down again. They were majestic, perfectly timed and so beautiful: taking off, in the air and landing, he was transferring incredible feel. It was like his program had two parts, one where he jumped to the music and the other where he skated apart from it.

deedee1

Record Breaker
A bit of a surprise if we see names of the top three finishers, but well-deserved so for their clean/almost clean skate. Others simply didn't bring their A game today, me think. :yes:

Yay for Max! Many congrats to his fans! :) My hubby still complains on Max's score, compared to others' with such so-so skates. ;)
Such a shame Menshov missed landing of 3A after he hit jaw-dropping 4T-3T and 4S so beautifully.
Shoma, not bad start at all, considering this is his debut on senior circuit. Well done! :yes:
Hope Mura, Amodio and Miner will come back strong in the free.
C'mon, boys. It's not over till it's over!

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Jeremy Abbott was getting 6's for PCS for great performances back when he was an unknown, a month and a half before he won the Grand Prix Final that year.

Yuzuru Hanyu's PCS at 2011 Cup of China with an awesome SP performance = 36. Some judges had him down in the 6's on components. Why? Because he still didn't have enough senior reputation at that point.

Pitkeev will earn his way upward but it's too bad it ever has to be about that.

While that is true, I don't think Pitkeev was as good as these yesterday,
That is your interpretation, And his senior debut was last season,
He went to Europeans too.

I WOULD have given him better PCS though

Last edited:

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
While that is true, I don't think Pitkeev was as good as these yesterday,
That is your interpertation, Also, His senior debut was last season,
He want to Europeans too.

I WOULD have given him better PCS though

Also, Abbott never really rose up that high for Components :disapp:

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
Okay, I found videos! My thoughts, in reverse starting order.

D10: I was excepting this to be a lot worse. I like his program, but it'll probably move higher up my favorites list in the second half of the year.

Brown: I was also excepting this to be a lot worse. I really like this program, and it's incredibly fun. Also, I kept thinking that he looked like Alena Leonova.

Mura: He's very handsome. :eek:: Anyways... nice skate, nice jumps, kind of eh everything else, but oh well...

Kostya: :love: I think he's my favorite currently-competing Russian man? (either him or Voronov.)

Shoma: I think he has my favorite men's SP here. Shame about the fall...

Han: I don't hate his music! :cheer: As for the program... :cheer:

And since that is everyone I actually want to watch in this event, I close my comments. Sorry.

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
I am looking at the protocol and I am surprised Brown's 3A wasn't underrotated. I surely thought it was when I watched the program. The 5s for Adian in the PC departments are a bit much

Ekm

On the Ice
I'm not that into men's, but I'm so pleased that three of my faves are in the top 3 after the short (should have went with the heart over the head with the predictions if this holds, though I think I did have them all in my top 6).

viennaskater

Medalist
Brown: I was also excepting this to be a lot worse. I really like this program, and it's incredibly fun. Also, I kept thinking that he looked like Alena Leonova.
'expecting' I presume you mean.

I see no resemblance whatsoever. Just cos he has a ponytail ??? Some men do wear their hair that way, believe it or not.

Last edited:

whatif

Medalist
I believe I have seen Han Yan skate the same "jazzy" programme for about 5 years now??? Just shows how limited this skater which is shame giving some of his tech goods and SS.

Pitkeev should have been a place or so higher but I hope his time is yet to come. Also looks like dumping Sakhanovich did some good.

Anyone comparing Adian's and Aaron's speed should think about what these two skaters are doing out on the ice. It's much easier to be fast when all you do is crossover across the ice. Aron's skating is so 1980s. Adian has actual complicated footwork and transitions to deal with. Not comparable.

Last edited:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can forgive a lot of things in figure skating. However, if you're gonna use a piece like Nessun Dorma, and show absolutely zero emotion or expression at the crescendo of the piece, why use the damn music? He's still skating as through he isn't listening to the music, the moves in between the jumps, while getting better, are still not up to snuff. It's all speed and power, and while it's impressive, there is zero impact other than me respecting his talent for skating fast and jumping. He's still a skater that relies on the clean program to give the emotion, rather than creating the emotion through expression of the music with his program.

He was better here, and the clean short helped, but he still looks like, to me, a hockey player who is "doing" figure skating, rather than a figure skater skating a program. Maybe I'm being too critical, but he's just got so much DAMN talent for the athletic part of the sport that the lagging aesthetic part drags the whole thing down for me.

Sorry, I disagree. Max was much improved in the "aesthetic" part. His PCS, which was not huge, was well-deserved. That quad-triple was everything. Go Max!

Rissa

Record Breaker
I just watched Men's and WOW what a great event! So much great skating! :love: Florent's program is ahahaha awesome! Menshov's getting better and better, Shoma's giving me Daisuke flashbacks. Denis + operatic music = match made in heaven! I can't wait for tomorrow! :party:

Please don't hate me for saying this, but... the only senior man I've seen skate so far this season is Yuzuru Hanyu, and now I'm looking at these six men in the warm-up, and my first thought is "Where are the pretty bling bling and colorful costumes?" Mot of it is so... black and white. :shrug:

Florent Amodio used up all the fun costumes quota for one competition!

But seriously, three guys dressed as waiters? C'mon where's imagination? Max Aaron in particular should get a deduction for "costume unbecoming of a skater", that sweatshirt was a crime. :laugh:

Last edited:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Just catching with Mens on you tube (3.30am is too crazy to stay up) in no particular order

Max
Fantastic skate and personal break through. I don't think all skaters should perform in the expected way to well known pieces of music. While it is clear he is not a naturally musical or lyrical skater, but the improvements, attention to detail and commitment to choreography he has shown has improved from previous. Half of the sport is faking it until you make, and this years package is faking it very well. It is not just about the technical elements anymore but how it all works all together. Probably the most safe costume out there, but it worked for him rather than make it into a distraction. This years package is clearly about appealing to the judges's taste. Phillips Mills and his team did a great job with him. Emotions can come later, this is still early season works. Deserved winner. Congratulations! First time I think I enjoy watching him.

Jason
Dressed like a magician without a top hat. I keep thinking he may pull out a dove, a rabbit or an extremely long hanky from somewhere during the performance. Seems to be wearing stage makeup?! Same ole Jason Brown program with tons of winks and jazzy hands along with the transitions, except he got real world marks. Quadless marks. Although the Charleston step idea is interesting, but I thought it actually didn't have the impact I was looking for, neither here or there. Look forward to his FS though, a potential top 5 fav program of the season if he can do it justice. The practicing clips are looking promising.

Han Yan
Signature waiter costume again... come on!!! I really really REALLY want him to change choreographer. Lori apparently also suggested him to do Over the Rainbow this year which is all sort of :bang:. Why can't he get a Nessum Dorma, or a Chopin program? Or anything that doesn't force him to be so awkward year after year. Can you imagine Hanyu or Patrick have to do Sing Sing Sing with those movements to the judges? Get real... stop sabotage this insanely rare talent from China with one of the best 3A in the world. Arghh.. rant over. Well done Han Yan, good luck in your free!

Denis Ten
Should be the class of the field but typically early season :hopelessness:
Do better in FS and skate the light out, you have nothing to lose.

Shoma Uno
This kid is seriously wanting to be seen as a Daisuke Takahashi. Daiskue would have rocked with this type of program, but it seems too much of a challenge to the youngster. It is definitely a risky type of SP, one require to be done in one seamless flow (or as we say in Chinese, appear to be done in one breath) with no breaks to keep up the rhythmic energy and momentum all the way till the end while display mastery skating skills in absence of lyrical directions. High risk high reward program. Unfortunately the fall in the quad zapped the energy and the recuperation is never quite the same. I was so distracted after that point, I keep thinking of Hair saloon music the rest of the performance. May be they can edit it to be more audience friendly incase of disaster strikes again and allow him a place to recuperate. Actually, I have always dreamed someone can do a fantastic Pokemon program, and naturally think Shoma would be the best candidate... his rosie cheek in the KnC is extremely cute. Substitute Pokemon with gold medals, it seems make sense.

I wanna be the very best,
Like no one ever was.
To catch them is my real test,
To train them is my cause.

I will travel across the land,
Searching far and wide.
Each Pokemon to understand
The power that's inside

Pokemon, (gotta catch them all) its you and me
I know its my destiny
Pokemon, oh, you're my best friend
In a world we must defend

Pokemon, (gotta catch them all) a heart so true
Our courage will pull us through
You teach me and I'll teach you
(Po-ke-mon) Gotta catch 'em all

Adian Pitkeev
One of the more lyrical, delicate and musically nuanced program out there among Men's short. I keep think he'd able to do a great version of Julia's Long music justice. Exciting youngster to watch out for, to find him from Russia is an unexpected surprise. He is seen as the #4 or 5 in Russia Sr. men right? If there's not that many senior men (longer shelf span than ladies) ahead of him, his PCS score may be a bit higher like Evgenia high. A bit more power, strength, gravitas and awareness of the audience may improve maturity in his presentation to be more competitive among the seniors. At the moment, he still appear like a very promising junior comfortable in his elements(especially after watching Menshov, give him a Sing Sing Sing, and Juke and see how awkward he get:laugh:, heck or anything not so serious or classical). PCS should be closer to Shoma.

Florent
May be his costume was a nod to Pharell's sense of flair https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/41/fe/80/41fe80bd591c102521adbeeabbeacba5.jpg
Happy was from Despicable me, one of the great french animated efforts funded by Universal. Its lucid style is very traditional in French animation, except they made it 3D so it seems natural celebration by one of their best French skaters. Anyway in the land of 101 Dalmatians, I thought it was cute :) Florent was too serious in his interpretation... instead of Happy, let loose and having bit of fun I know he should be capable of, I am feeling tension and a little bit worrying from watching him. Some cool choreograph moves to the music change though. Look forward to see its next growth.

Last edited:

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
Shoma Uno
This kid is seriously wanting to be seen as a Daisuke Takahashi. Daiskue would have rocked with this type of program, but it seems too much of a challenge to the youngster. It is definitely a risky type of SP, one require to be done in one seamless flow (or as we say in Chinese, appear to be done in one breath) with no breaks to keep up the energy and momentum all the way till the end while display mastery skating skills in absence of lyrical directions. Unfortunately the fall in the quad zapped the energy and the recuperation it is never quite the same. I was so distracted after that point, I keep thinking of Hair saloon music the rest of the performance. May be they can edit it to be more audience friendly incase of disaster strikes again and allow him a place to recuperate. Actually, I have always dreamed someone can do a fantastic Pokemon program, and naturally think Shoma would be the best candidate... his rosie cheek in the KnC is extremely cute. Substitute Pokemon with gold medals, it seems make sense.

LOL omg I think Shoma would rather be caught dead than do a pokémon program. That clashes too much with his aesthetic.

Also I seem to be the only one that appreciated Max's sweater/shirt thingy. But I tought it looked lovely.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
LOL omg I think Shoma would rather be caught dead than do a pokémon program. That clashes too much with his aesthetic.

Also I seem to be the only one that appreciated Max's sweater/shirt thingy. But I tought it looked lovely.

Yeah that sweatshirt is something those judges will wear on Sunday for breakfasts.

Pokemon program would be ace... Can you think of anyone else do a better Pokemon program? May be an exhibition program, with Hanyu as the ultimate Pokemon Master! I will PAY to see that :biggrin: