2015 Skate America Ladies FS Oct 24 | Page 37 | Golden Skate

2015 Skate America Ladies FS Oct 24

Shayuki

Record Breaker
People are actually complaining about this? Like, I was concentrating on Gracie's presentation as it's Firebird that I love, comparing it to Machida's Firebird from last season and... Gold had nothing. It was almost depressing to watch. Then we have people complaining about Russians getting inflated scores in Skate America, when Gold herself got hugely inflated scores. She didn't deserve to beat Medvedeva in PCS at all. Also, on what planet is a pop more respectable than an actual triple, even with a fall?

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
I did like the intro where they showed a clip of each of the top 5 skaters (I think both on the ice and behind the scenes) with each one giving a soundbite. Satoko's was something very humble about learning from the other skaters, Julia said something serious about needing to do a clean program, and Evgenia said something like "the judges will put you where they put you". Then each person said their name. I thought it was well-done and it definitely got me a bit more pumped.

I missed that part because I was watching Chartrand on feed. Do Yulia and Evgenia speak english?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Oooh, no, I've been looking for Evgenia's name. That's perfect! I'll have to see to it when I get back. Thanks for letting me know, sometimes I don't check on my NBC recordings for awhile if I didn't watch them live.

:cool:

Another thing I meant to say about the NBC broadcast:

Unless I overlooked it, I do not think that it had any kind of promotional mention or graphic regarding NBC's upcoming Skate Canada coverage or NBC's upcoming GP coverage in general. Missed opportunity, IMO.

ETA:
Never mind. Apologies that I was wrong. Thx to Mrs. P and others for letting me know that NBC did air a promo for its Skate Canada coverage.​

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
They did have a promo for Skate Canada. Brief, but there was one.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty

Unless I overlooked it, I do not think that it had any kind of promotional mention or graphic regarding NBC's upcoming Skate Canada coverage or NBC's upcoming GP coverage in general. Missed opportunity, IMO.

I think there was a short "graphic" (if you want to call it that). Nothing animated.

Franklin99

Medalist

They mentioned it towards the end of the show.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
People are actually complaining about this? Like, I was concentrating on Gracie's presentation as it's Firebird that I love, comparing it to Machida's Firebird from last season and... Gold had nothing. It was almost depressing to watch. Then we have people complaining about Russians getting inflated scores in Skate America, when Gold herself got hugely inflated scores. She didn't deserve to beat Medvedeva in PCS at all. Also, on what planet is a pop more respectable than an actual triple, even with a fall?

I thought the same thing! I always compare to Macchi's Firebird...

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

I thought both Medvedeva and Gold were overscored. As for the pop (a double, not a single), it's not seen as a glaring error the way a fall is. And Medvedeva's fall was on a 2A, not a triple.

That being said, I like Medvedeva's program more, but because she's coming up from juniors, Gold will have higher PCS. Medvedeva's PCS was incredibly high actually considering juniors usually just get low 60's.

Anyways, neither program deserved more than 132 in my opinion, but I personally would have placed Gold ahead of Medvedeva (although only slightly).

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I agree with the placements but I'm totally put-off by the scoring at this event. Evgenia was over-scored in PCS by about 6 points total and Gracie was over-scored by 4 points. I sure hope this mega-inflated scoring is confined solely to this competition and that this isn't a glimpse of things to come. If this is what we can expect for the rest of the season, it's going to be an immensely bull excrement filled year.

I don't think the PCS is too bad, considering the scores only matter relative to who is currently competing. There is plenty of room there to give Mao or Caro 5+ points in PCS over what Gracie earned for her clean-ish long.

jg2000

On the Ice
I was mostly sad about this event, but I did enjoy the top few performances...
Evgenia was surprising for me; I don't usually like her skating but she was nice here except for the fall.
Always liked Gracie, though she seemed more tentative today. Good for her though, finally bringing out a great fs performance, she needed that.
Really like Satoko's way of moving (and her spins); unfortunately I think her small jumps will always hold her back somehow.

Top two were super overscored, but I thought the result was fair so I'm not gonna complain. I was kinda surprised Evgenia got 67 pcs so suddenly; I can't think of any of the Russian girls starting out their first GP with such high pcs (thought it'd have to wait till Euros at least ;))

Real sad for Yulia and So Youn today.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

I thought both Medvedeva and Gold were overscored. As for the pop (a double, not a single), it's not seen as a glaring error the way a fall is. And Medvedeva's fall was on a 2A, not a triple.

That being said, I like Medvedeva's program more, but because she's coming up from juniors, Gold will have higher PCS. Medvedeva's PCS was incredibly high actually considering juniors usually just get low 60's.

Anyways, neither program deserved more than 132 in my opinion, but I personally would have placed Gold ahead of Medvedeva (although only slightly).

Lipea

Final Flight

That would be unfair. Medvedeva skated two fantastic programs, and that fall does not matter at all considering that she did beautiful 3F-3T AND 3S-3T-2T. However, she got fully punished for it - all GOE -3 and 1 deduction, so I cannot understand what people find wrong about it. Her presentation was at the best, and this program is simply breathtaking (bravo again, Averbuch), and she actually seemed pretty fast, not at all slow as people used to say. Her jumps are pretty high, and she has great transitions. Plus she did not come out of nowhere - Junior World and Final champion she is pretty high in the rankings, so she does have the reputation. If she would get a couple points less in PCS then Gracie should have got at least 1 point less too, so it would not make a difference in final standings.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I think Alaine Chartrand will be relieved that NBC did not air her FS.

Yes, but the decision already was made without knowing that she would have such a bad day.

Her FS was scheduled to start at 5:02 pm ET, literally one minute after the NBC coverage commenced. (From 5:00 to 5:01, the NBC "sportsdesk" was giving headlines about other sports.)

I find it interesting to telegraph that Chartrand wasn't going to do well before her skate....

From a broadcasting executive's point of view, not showing Chartrand would have been a mistake only if she skated well enough to win a medal.

NBC was telegraphing only that it was willing to gamble that she would not move up from sixth to third.

I missed that part because I was watching Chartrand on feed. Do Yulia and Evgenia speak english?

As I mentioned above, the audio from YL and EM was in Russian, and NBC gave subtitles.

They did have a promo for Skate Canada. Brief, but there was one.

I think there was a short "graphic" (if you want to call it that). Nothing animated.

They mentioned it towards the end of the show.

Ooooops, sorry for my oblivion :hopelessness: re the promo for Skate Canada coverage. Thanks for setting me straight.

I will edit my post above to note my error.

Last edited:

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I was there and I loved Gracie's interpretation and I am not normally a super fan of hers. She had some nice nuances and seemed confident for once.

Lipea

Final Flight
Also, I don't understand why people compare PCS of the skaters with different TECH points. It has been always obvious that PCS are in all the situations relative to the TES. So when Liza jumped 3A in Shanghai her PCS automatically got higher. Satoko's PCS were higher than her TES which says that her PCS were pretty good; they would definitely be higher if she got higher TES.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Also, I don't understand why people compare PCS of the skaters with different TECH points. It has been always obvious that PCS are in all the situations relative to the TES. So when Liza jumped 3A in Shanghai her PCS automatically got higher. Satoko's PCS were higher than her TES which says that her PCS were pretty good; they would definitely be higher if she got higher TES.

But the thing is, this is not actually supposed to be the case.

cl2

Final Flight
Also, on what planet is a pop more respectable than an actual triple, even with a fall?

If you think about it, the pop from 3S to 2S is approximately a 3.5 point "error" (an opportunity cost due to a lower BV), whereas a fully rotated 2A with a fall is a 2.5 point error (actual deductions due to GOE and fall deduction). This is consistent with rewarding attempts at more difficult jumps higher than easier jumps; that is, a 2A+fall is rewarded higher than a 2S. It doesn't matter if the skater is capable of landing 3S, if (s)he executes a 2S, it's simply less valuable than another skater's attempt a 2A.

Too bad that Gracie doubled her 3F and 3S in her SP/LP. That pretty much cost her the title.

Lipea

Final Flight
But the thing is, this is not actually supposed to be the case.

People say it every time and what? It has been like that all the time, and maybe there is a sense in it. If a skater shows a technically harder/cleaner/better performance it already assumes better Skating Skills, Interpretation, Performance at the least.