2015-16 Grand Prix Final Free Dance | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2015-16 Grand Prix Final Free Dance

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I would say they definitely DO NOT score according to the rules. They score according to the conversations they have with all the officials at the event in which every country tries to sell their team to the other judges. If there is more than one team from a country the Federations decides which team of their own they want to push and then the selling begins.

How do you know this for a fact? Just your opinionated guesses proclaimed as facts?

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Me and my sad panda face are now pouting at the hotel until it's time for the ladies :cry: the only consolation right now is that the crowd LOVED them! People were going nuts during the performance and pretty much everyone around me was on their feet the second they finished.
I'm going to cry if they aren't at the gala tomorrow. Big big sad panda tears :sad21:

Otter tears......:sad4:

Oh, by the way, which team did you think have the best speed and coverage in general? I'm curious to know..

Last edited:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Chock/Bates are benefitting from being U.S. number 1. I suspect the Shibs are going to have a Davis/White 2008-2009 season as long as they aren't discouraged by the judging and keep fighting, stay motivated, and improve their dances and performance even more throughout the season. The Barcelona crowd obviously loved the Shibs and it's telling the type of reaction Chock/Bates received when they placed first. The Barcelona crowd was super nice to all the teams but were very quiet when they saw that placement.

The Shibs need to focus on the positive. They skated well (not as good or sharp as NHK or Skate Canada) considering Alex had food poisoning, and they enough judges were actually brave enough to go against what has been predetermined and placed them higher than Chock/Bates in PE and INT in the PCS. They need to keep building upon these small victories and not be discouraged. I always fear they will one day just say Eff it and quit or skate as if they already lost, which was a feeling I got in the past few seasons. They need a pep talk from Charlie White and Meryl Davis.

Last edited:

tvuckic16

Final Flight
Shibs were wonderful...don't know what got into them this year, but keep up the good work and results will come. Really, 2nd- CB , 3rd-CL and 4th-Shibs place are in a statistical dead heat.

slider11

Medalist
I don't understand why someone is a poor sport if someone expresses their opinion as to flaws in a team's technique or is not enraptured with the team's artistry. I don't see any gross disrespect here. Sure, some were disappointed and made strong statements. But that's part of life and sport. Vive le difference!

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
just finished watching on BESP...

I am stuck at this point, really - the PCS game went out of control now, how the heck Italians with this willy-nilly, charming but cheesy to the boot program beat Maia and Alex and foremost how is it possible that Chock/Bates are better scored than Shibutanis?!

Regarding inter-American rivarly, this is getting ridiculous more and more. I am no expert, but for my tastebuds Chock/Bates FD is just without any flavour. She's overacting, he's kinda muted in expression, some of transitions/lifts look plain ugly for me (sorry) and during the whole dance I had a constant, strong feeling that they force themselves into someone else's skin. It is not a challenge to take classical music, piece from Rachmaninoff and make program - it is a challenge to find a classical piece which would fit you like a glove, your abilities, character and movement. I simply cannot accept them getting higher Composition/Choreography than Shibutanis, and Skating Skills 9.25 to Shibutanis' 8.75?! I can't even...

avantgardener

Rinkside
but it also seems that everyone was positively marked… everyone seems to have benefitted from the judges today…. so why should one team benefit more than the others? because they are our favourite? then… that's why there is so much war and hate in the world… peace out folks.

I really don't think it's just a manifestation of our bias or personal preference for a certain team over another... It's just a disconnect between witnessing a jarring, obvious error on an element and judges' not only *not* penalizing for it with net negative GOE --> but actually awarding *bonus* GOE, implying the element was *above* baseline quality.

But such is ice dance, I suppose. :noshake:

NAOTMAA

Medalist
Are they still considering removing ice dance from the Olympics?

Because the isu seem to be doing everything they can do to make it happen with scoring like this.

robredo40

On the Ice
Chock and bates are awful how they are a podium contending team is a mystery Igor is friends with alot of judges.

andromache

Record Breaker
Chock and bates are awful how they are a podium contending team is a mystery Igor is friends with alot of judges.

I'm not happy with the placements either but the hyperbole needs to end. C/B are a really wonderful team, even though they made mistakes today. Their speed is magnificent and they have star quality together.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
There's only a half point between the FS scores of C/L, C/B and S/S. The technical base values are practically the same for all top dance teams.
I enjoy watching ice dance a lot, but I often don't get the scoring. I'm used to that and I'm not an expert. But I think that they have to do something about those technical elements, their base value and maybe also about the amount of elements, there should be more. When it comes to twizzles, there are so many easy level 4 twizzles executed also by top teams. There is no distinction between easy and difficult level 4 twizzles and that doesn't seem right. Because it obviously isn't reflected in the PCS (as it should be imho).
The most polished team has won, I'm ok with that.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not happy with the placements either but the hyperbole needs to end. C/B are a really wonderful team, even though they made mistakes today. Their speed is magnificent and they have star quality together.

I agree. I wish the ShibSibs made the podium as well. But at the end of the day, we shouldn't be bickering endlessly on it. I accept how the judging went. Like I mentioned earlier, I was in a judged sport as well (Competitive cheerleading) and we would always see what we had to do to improve our scores.

I accept the judges' decisions because it's the decision. It's done and over with. And also we should be happy that the ShibSibs put up a new PB for overall score. I'm happy for them about that. And I wish Alex gets well soon.

PS: I think it's kind of a silver lining that the ShibSibs didn't medal. I saw a pic on PJ Kwong's FB and Maia was doing a solo interview, so I'm assuming Alex is trying to rest. I say it's a silver lining they didn't medal because then there will be no dwelling about missing the medal ceremony.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I agree. I wish the ShibSibs made the podium as well. But at the end of the day, we shouldn't be bickering endlessly on it. I accept how the judging went. Like I mentioned earlier, I was in a judged sport as well (Competitive cheerleading) and we would always see what we had to do to improve our scores.

I accept the judges' decisions because it's the decision. It's done and over with. And also we should be happy that the ShibSibs put up a new PB for overall score. I'm happy for them about that. And I wish Alex gets well soon.

Oh that's cool they got a new PB! They also got a new PCS PB in the FS by a hair too.

Really the Shibs' podium loss was not so much the FS, but those two SD patterns. Hoping they can go back home and dance those patterns into submission!

ETA: Though one could argue that having an Italian TC probably didn't help either...

Last edited:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker

PS: I think it's kind of a silver lining that the ShibSibs didn't medal. I saw a pic on PJ Kwong's FB and Maia was doing a solo interview, so I'm assuming Alex is trying to rest. I say it's a silver lining they didn't medal because then there will be no dwelling about missing the medal ceremony.

Well, I'm glad a lot of people don't take that attitude in real life because otherwise things will never change for people. But maybe it's because in my line of work, I'm seeking to overturn judicial opinions through appeals and read and write pieces critiquing judicial opinions.

Also, that's not much of a silver lining.

Last edited:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not a fan of Anna and Luca, but their program was the first one today (sorry) that didn't put me to sleep.:yawn: To put that a more positive way, I liked their FD way more than their SD, which was IMO overdone and one-note at the same time! But the FD was light, a little more delicately done and a breath of fresh air.

Maddie and Evan were Fabulous! :love: They'd put back in some of the small nuances they're known for, and thank goodness for that. Their music was dramatic and sweeping, and they expressed the moods, the character, and the drama in gorgeous fashion. They really love skating together and are exhilarated by skating together. That, IMO, is one of the key elements that separates them from other dance teams, and puts them a cut above. They express emotion in an exuberant way and with variety, light and shade, etc. I loved that they put in their little jumping for joy homage to last year's FD.

Expressing emotion through movement is one of the things that draws me to figure skating. It's a matter of personal taste that makes all the difference to me.

The first three teams went with smooth, which is the way the wind was blowing this year, but none of them (sorry, again) expressed it with the variety and expression of movement, and the sheer brilliance in dancing, that Papadakis and Cizeron did.

I get it that the Shibs are many people's favorite. I loved them in Oct. 2013 when I saw them live (MJ FD). I also think they're great kids, creative and fun and smart. But as a general rule, their strengths and passions don't speak to everyone, and judges are human beings with certain elements they prefer or don't prefer. Figure skating isn't only about technical excellence, and if it were it would lose many fans.

The Shibs have taken great positive steps forward this season, and it ain't over till it's over!:cool14:

Rissa

Record Breaker
You know guys what's the worst in terms of audience perception? After the Shibs, no other team got such sincere emotional reaction and I think part of the reason was that the collective disappointment at their scoring caused people to be a bit bummed and incapable of appreciating and cheering on others as much as they could have. I think had the audience approved of the Shibs scores, W/P would have got a bogger reaction. :confused2:

But all in all, it was a good event, and even though the scoring in this one particular case was disappointing, that moment when they finished can only be compared to the one when Yuzu finished his SP, that feeling that you have just witnessed something extraordinary.

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
Person with ice dance knowledge of banana watches programs in finish order:

W/P: They did look out of synch on their twizzles, but their lifts were awesome. I still really like this program, though... :love:

C/B: I think I'll have to accept that they're just not my cup of tea, for I'm not engaged at all.

C/L: This dance is adorable. They did also look out of synch on their twizzles, though... and what was the deduction for? :scratch:

Shibs: That was awesome. :love: I liked it better than all of the other dances, but I'm not sure if that equals better than the others technically

B/S: I think the only dance of theirs I'll ever like was the one they did in 2013. Sorry.

H/D: Why did you have to fall?! :bang: