2016 NHK Trophy Pairs FS | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2016 NHK Trophy Pairs FS

Giselle

Medalist
My take is not that there are not tall Japanese boys, rather that they choose other sports.
Shibutani was born in the US, where there is a more varied tradition (lately, at any rate), and I think he and his sister chose skating together - I mean they skated together since they were children?

IIRC they started skating at 4 and 7 (singles) but decided to switch to ice dance and skate together after watching the ice dancing competition live at Worlds in 2003 in DC!

This is them in 2006 about 2 years after they teamed up.

Last edited:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Jumps... is not a strong point for the German, is it?

Or throws.

Or SBS spins

But music selection is :rock:

Well, unless you're Aliona and Bruno...

Though she always two foots her throws... and they have the odd splat... and sometimes have oddball music choices (last years free program, anyone? Though their Caro Emerald short for this season makes up for it)

auser

Record Breaker
Were those spins out of sync, or meant to be mirrored, and I am too turkey hazed to tell the difference :laugh:.

MIM

Medalist
It is about energy and environment and....
Muse
Wow the lift position

I am confused I think so is the crowd...

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
And I hate that last lift position. So gynecological. *sigh* Sorry nice german team. I'm sure you are lovely people.

glorybox6

Final Flight
Already lowest TES of the event so far, yikes.

I feel like they need to really commit to the gloomy, spooky vibes of the program, it just doesn't feel fully cooked yet.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Vartmann / Bolmmaert: Slight crash on the triple twist. Completed 3T+3T sequence but shaky. Only a 1S from Vartmann in the side by side. Long setup and fall for the throw 3Lz, likely a new element. Very off in the unison for the side-by-side spins (and I have no idea what the words the narrator are saying and what it has to do with the program). Strong bent-leg lift, but a light turn-out on the rather low ending throw 3S. That said, they have interesting transitional elements at times, but they had a very rough time in the technical and might end up losing a place or two. I didn't really "get" the program.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Vartmann is so elegant, I'm disappointed that she and both of her partners (that I know of, I'm only familiar with her with Blommaert and Van Cleave) have seemed to struggle with jump consistency.

text_skate

🇺🇦
Medalist
Country
European-Union
V/B need to work on their jumps amongst other things. I was hoping for a better skate. Probably they end in last :(

Maybe they should change coaches. The Wendes also had all the time problems with jumps and throws.

Last edited:

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
This program looks messy to me, the jumps and throws are just rough.