2017 U.S. Nationals Championship Ladies FS | Page 59 | Golden Skate

2017 U.S. Nationals Championship Ladies FS

I'm not so sure... I think skatinggold could be right and for the reasons she stated. However I think if that were to happen other strategic calculations would also come into effect I should think. Questions of reliability, experience, reputation and last but not least, the "fresh, new and better" factor would all be discussed.

I would certainly hope that none of those things will be discussed.

whatif

Medalist
Why even have a competition, then? Or ... why even make Gracie skate at all? Just give her the spot outright!

I think the U.S. relies too heavily on the system of propping people up. The favored one begin to rely on it, and the skating skills decline.

I also don't get it, whether Mariah is loved internationally or not is irrelevant here. Either will go as number 3 on the team and in both cases neither will factor into the 3 spot securing discussion. If Mariah is not loved by international judges, Gracie is simply not ready to compete at that level. Period.

da96103

Record Breaker
I think Gracie is going to get the World Spot. Her 4th place finish at last year's world and Frank's power in the USFS will allow this to happen. There is no way USFS is going to send two newbies to Worlds prior to the Olympics. Sorry Mariah, you are out!

What?

Mariah is gonna be Mirai-ed? (a new skating tongue twister)

andromache

Record Breaker
my prediction

1. Evgenia
2-3. Pogo, Satoko: close, depends on UR calls
4-5. Ashley, Kaetlyn: both pretty inconsistent but will get high PCS
6-7. Carolina K, Sotskova
--
Gabby, Mai M, Wakaba,...
so we need to have the best case scenario with Ashley AND have the best case scenario with either Mariah or Karen. TBH, maybe (probably a terrible idea) since we're losing the third spot anyways might as well send Gracie cause she has a 0.01% chance of skating OK and getting three spots, while the other two have a 0% chance...

I think Mariah and Karen both have decent shots of placing top ten.

If we lose three spots, I hope it's due to the actual skating and not reputation. Mariah and Karen might not have the reps but both are deserving of PCS as high as Sotskova's and higher than Mai's, if they skate well.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think if we learned anything at this competition, there can be surprises and ice is slippery.

RABID

Final Flight
I am trying to reply without seeing what others wrote. Here is my opinion, for what it is worth.

1. I liked Ashley's long program better, and probably would've given it to her. It was close. I also didn't realize she singled that jump, I thought it was just a little dance hop, not a miss. Either way, both women skated their hearts out, so congratulations to both of them!

2. Actually, I thought the best of the night--or one of the best--was Caroline! So glad to see her again, but she didn't do her signature spin, I don't think. Does she do it any more?

3. Tara and Johnny were on the money about Mirai. She was so cute back in the day. Remember that Carmen? Or when she was supposed to be a doll? She never quite found an adult persona on the ice. And if she does the axel safely, just do it, she has nothing to lose at this point.

4. If they send Gracie to 4 Continents, fine. If they put her ahead of the pack and make her an alternate, fine. But if they bump someone, the committee will lose much of its credibility.
They should just make a rule. Grand Prix Finale medalist: automatically on the team. Not: Have to earn your spot at Nationals. Gracie did neither. Whatever her problem is, she has exactly one year to get over it or find another path in life.

The thing is is that she is in the same place Polina is now in. Just like Polina, what if she does have a good but not great next season? What if America only gets two or even three spots for the Olympics and those spots are earned by skaters not named Polina and Gracie? And what if those other skaters also have a less than a great season of skating? Better hope America does well this coming Worlds or it is going to be a mess choosing who goes and who stays home come 2018.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Amazing energy inside the arena tonight :eeking: so much to say, so little patience with typing on my phone.

First though, tonight's Tara report...I was seated about halfway across the arena from the Kiss and Cry, and during the quiet parts Mirai's program, I heard a voice speaking very loudly and distinctly from that direction. Can you guess whose voice rings out through an entire packed arena?

That is what I am worried about, imagined if Mirai/Tessa/Any skater had to listen to that while flunking their elements. Talk about morale crusher while there's 7 other elements to go.

Last edited:

ranjake

Final Flight
I can't even believe people are doubting she deserved to win.
Why? I'm not a Judge and I'm not stating my opinion as any kind of ultimate authority; but it's okay to see things differently, right?
ETA: I wouldn't even use the word 'deserve', only that I would have made a different call. Congrats to Karen on 2 wonderful skates, and to Ashley the Warrior and Mariah! Also so nice to see Caroline Zhang do pretty well :)

Last edited:

chairmanmao

Final Flight
my prediction

1. Evgenia
2-3. Pogo, Satoko: close, depends on UR calls
4-5. Ashley, Kaetlyn: both pretty inconsistent but will get high PCS
6-7. Carolina K, Sotskova
--
Gabby, Mai M, Wakaba,...
so we need to have the best case scenario with Ashley AND have the best case scenario with either Mariah or Karen. TBH, maybe (probably a terrible idea) since we're losing the third spot anyways might as well send Gracie cause she has a 0.01% chance of skating OK and getting three spots, while the other two have a 0% chance...

LOL At her best Mariah is a better skater than Ashley and Gold. I find her LP at Skate America one of the bests this season and the best from the US ladies for that matter. Enough of that dross and wooden walking disaster Gold.

I was over the moon with Caroline Zhang's skate.

And a great big hand for the KC audience. They appreciated every skater, good performances or not-so-good alike. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Sydney Rose

Final Flight
I think Gracie has developed a serious falling phobia. I've thought this for some time and all those doubled jumps tonight would seem to be more evidence that this is a major problem for her.

Or one of her problems.

Anyone else think Alex O. is about to get his former pupil back?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I was over the moon with Caroline Zhang's skate.

And a great big hand for the KC audience. They appreciated every skater, good performances or not-so-good alike. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Yes, the audience was great!

And I really thought there was a case for Zhang to win pewter! She was absolutely inspiring!

skatinggold

On the Ice
Yes, the audience was great!

And I really thought there was a case for Zhang to win pewter! She was absolutely inspiring!

Why can't Zhang just skate faster, she will be a force to be reckon with if she is able to improve her speed.. Her jumps are so so secure. No under-rotations calls at all in this Championship.

bobbob

Medalist
LOL At her best Mariah is a better skater than Ashley and Gold. I find her LP at Skate America one of the bests this season and the best from the US ladies for that matter. Enough of that dross and wooden walking disaster Gold.

Yeah, she had a good skate there but I feel like the international judges won't necessarily give her the high scores. I was only taking from a practical scoring standpoint.

whatif

Medalist
Please, every federation plays these politics games. 1-2 are usually based on results and the third spot is mostly a judgement call.

Nathan13

Medalist
That is what I am worried about, imagined if Mirai/Tessa/Any skater had to listen to that while flunking their elements. Talk about morale crusher while there's 7 other elements to go.

Yeah, Mirai was skating right past her too. And there's no way Tom Z. and co didn't hear her either

ranjake

Final Flight
Yes, but I would tend to take the opinions of the official judges over you.

Yes, of course. I guess i didn't realize it was discouraged on this forum to have an OPINION other than the judges decision; I guess that page in my rule book was missing (and I'm the first one that ever has?!) :)