2017 Worlds Free Dance | Page 35 | Golden Skate

2017 Worlds Free Dance

elif

Medalist
Hubbell Donohue only one to get first step sequence level4. It was style A and needs 9 clean turns unlike style B needs 5 turns. Virtue Moir and Papadakis Cizeron got level4 on second steps. H/D could have got medal even with mistake on twizzles. Anything but no twizzle.:biggrin:

medvedevasocks

Match Penalty
And we have to face reality here : I felt like WeaPo were held down for B/S to be higher in the ranks... but at the end they should have got the bronze. I am really disappointed.

Exactly ITA! Bobrova & Soloviev and the Shibutanis are really two of the most disgracefully overmarked teams ever. I hope both can look at themselves in the mirror and their medals in the future and feel good about themselves, since I know I never could if I were any of those 4 individuals. Well I guess if Lobacheva & Averbuhk and Fusar Poli & Margalio can, they probably can manage it too, LOL! I just hope they have strong stomachs. And if the Canadian fed are already pushing for the future by totally dumping any support for W&P to try and buff up non contending Gilles & Poirier for post 2019, why on earth doesn the Russian fed. do likewise and put more of their backing behind their #1 post Pyengchang- Bukin & Stepanova, rather than push hard for marks for Bobrova & Soloviev who still wont medal even with the help? That would make even more sense than the Canadian situation of early boosting for Gilles & Poirier, a team that is likely still to never win a world medal, unlike Step&Buks?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
W&P arent guaranteed for the simple reason V&M might choose to skate both programs as they did in 2014. If Canada uses 2 teams, yes W&P will get to skate in the Team Event. Their 4th place finish here should make them safe as Canadian #2 for next season too.

especially since the teams ahead of them, one canadian would be out, france may not make the free program round, and only one american would be there.....

so Weapo could indeed place anywhere from 1st to 3rd depending who is there in the free round... I am pretty sure that VM would skate the short dance.

yuna13

On the Ice
i know. i'm trying to explain how i feel. if people misunderstang tant pis. i'm tired to explain.

madison

Record Breaker
To me only 2 teams are excellent: Papadakis/Cizeron my favorites, they have magic in their skate and Virtue/Moir. The last one are great technicians.
After that come teams such as: Bobrova/Soloviev, Weaver/Poje, Hubbell/Donohue with great skating skills and maturity.
Average teams are : Shibutanis, Chock/Bates and Cappellini/Lanotte
Special mention to Piper and Paul they always have interesting programs and bring something new in the arena.
One of the worse skater is Stepanova, in fact she's the worse female skater Russia has now among their top 5(Bobrova, Ilinykh, Sinitsina, Zaghorsky. Even Loboda, coming from Juniors, is better than her :D.
I think that the Russian Fed should promote Tiff and John: they have great skating skills, connection and some freshness and they look different among the other Russian teams. Now much will depend on Zhulin what programs he'll give them.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Why do you want Weaver / Poje to change their coach? They just made a change - from Krylova to Morozov ...

And even more importantly to whom should they change? It's not like they can go to Marina or Marie-France and Patrice or Zhulin or Shpliband (did I spell that right?)

keasus

On the Ice
It's not the music; it's the mix of it. It never created what most FDs need: momentum.

But I give them credit for not going the mush route this year. Big credit. Bless them.

Amen, WeakAnkles. I can't bear another season of Montreal Mush. I hope this trend will die a quick death and ice dancing can once again be open to ALL styles of dancing. Patrice, Marie France, and Romain may be fine coaches, but their choreography had become predictable and sleeping-inducing.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
yup :) without being an expert, that's what i thought too.. it was a transition not in the middle of the element

Oh, I forgot. Our commentators' expert Anuliisa Uotila said exactly the same.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I get that dance is really 'competitive' today, and that makes it marginally interesting, but I miss the Grishuk/Platov era when teams actually had dramatically different free skates from one another. It was hard to watch Shibutanis, P&C and V&M one after another, and then closing the event with a medley of heinous adult contemporary cover songs by Hubbell and Donohue? No thanks.

...and it's become so polite and sanitary. Instead of everyone training with each other and smiling when they get beaten by rinkmates who fell, ice dancers used to be full-on divas that got into barfights and trashed each other in the media. Those were the days.

Well there may be some truth. The new system promotes different music same stuff because of the scoring system. Amazingly the pcs allows for the same artisitc mark controversy and arguably GOES promotes even more "judges" bias. Every step forward in the name of fairness and justice brings about more unfairness lol. Well the attempt is there and they give bullets but really it is interpretation still. Progress brings regression too sometimes I guess.

medvedevasocks

Match Penalty
especially since the teams ahead of them, one canadian would be out, france may not make the free program round, and only one american would be there.....

so Weapo could indeed place anywhere from 1st to 3rd depending who is there in the free round... I am pretty sure that VM would skate the short dance.

Yeah I have a feeling Weaver & Poje will get to skate the FD round but we will see. I would love to see an Olympic medal here, since it certainly wont happen in the individual competition, as worlds here and clearly winning the bronze on the actual ice but losing it anyway to the Shibutanis and almost to Bobrova & Soloviev (and in fact losing to them in the FD part) proves emphatically for anyone who had doubts. So their only chance is in the Team Event, and I really hope they get that chance. And depending who is in the final round they could be non hurt at all by using Weaver & Poje. Even if the Italians and Russians are there W&P have a good shot to beat both Italian and Russian #1 btw, although it isnt a sure thing of course as it would be for V&M. There is still reason to have faith in them. I dont think the Team Event will come down to 1 or 2 points anyway though, I think it will wind up last time, with 3 teams that look pretty close going in, but by the end gold, silver, bronze will each be seperated by a good 6-8 points anyway. So I cant imagine using W&P will cost them at all, even if they lost a point or two possibly.

It all depends on V&M though. If they want to do both they will, if they want a breather W&P get a go. V&M totally will determine it. Last time they were gung ho to do both, so who knows if they will be again. They are older now.

keasus

On the Ice
Well there may be some truth. The new system promotes different music same stuff because of the scoring system. Amazingly the pcs allows for the same artisitc mark controversy and arguably GOES promotes even more "judges" bias. Every step forward in the name of fairness and justice brings about more unfairness lol. Well the attempt is there and they give bullets but really it is interpretation still. Progress brings regression too sometimes I guess.

Or stagnation

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think it's less about W/P being Canada 3 (in bobsled terms) but rather that Piper and Paul are more likely to be continuing than W/P. With V/M and W/P gone G/P are our best team. They are probably trying to set them up to take over the Canada 1 sled for 2019. Skate Canada has to think ahead. G/P have more potential right now if they are staying in.
Well in bobsled there is a more determinative and measurable comparison speed. It doesn't matter whether you look better in your costume, point your toes or technique it is the speed.

medvedevasocks

Match Penalty
I get that dance is really 'competitive' today, and that makes it marginally interesting, but I miss the Grishuk/Platov era when teams actually had dramatically different free skates from one another. It was hard to watch Shibutanis, P&C and V&M one after another, and then closing the event with a medley of heinous adult contemporary cover songs by Hubbell and Donohue? No thanks.

...and it's become so polite and sanitary. Instead of everyone training with each other and smiling when they get beaten by rinkmates who fell, ice dancers used to be full-on divas that got into barfights and trashed each other in the media. Those were the days.

Omigod yes this 100%, every word of it. I so miss the 94-2002 era especialy.

Kutien

Final Flight
Pl.SDFD
1Tessa VIRTUE / Scott MOIR CAN198.6212video
2Gabriella PAPADAKIS / Guillaume CIZERON FRA196.0421video
3Maia SHIBUTANI / Alex SHIBUTANI USA185.1854video
4Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE CAN184.8166video
5Ekaterina BOBROVA / Dmitri SOLOVIEV RUS184.0683video
6Anna CAPPELLINI / Luca LANOTTE ITA183.7375video
7Madison CHOCK / Evan BATES USA182.0448video
8Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER CAN178.9997video
9Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE USA177.70310video
10Alexandra STEPANOVA / Ivan BUKIN RUS174.70109video

Last edited:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
i know. i'm trying to explain how i feel. if people misunderstang tant pis. i'm tired to explain.

You don't have to explain your feelings and opinions if you don't want to. (Ah the joys of being older, at some point you realize that you don't have to justify anything to anyone but yourself).

I would not have been surprised to see V/M put second in the event but I do think this is probably the right result. French 1st in the long, V/M first overall if that trip was not on the element and it seems like it was questionable in the minds of the judges. Take comfort. I'm sure P/C are a lot happier now than they were before the FD. They nearly won. They are closer than they were in the GPF. Should give them extra incentive for next year. They already have 2 world titles. All that is missing is Olympic Gold.
I just hope they finally get their SD problems figured out.

Edited to fix the G/P=P/C problem I seem to have developed.

Last edited:

medvedevasocks

Match Penalty
Pl.SDFD
1Tessa VIRTUE / Scott MOIR CAN198.6212
2Gabriella PAPADAKIS / Guillaume CIZERON FRA196.0421
3Maia SHIBUTANI / Alex SHIBUTANI USA185.1854
4Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE CAN184.8166
5Ekaterina BOBROVA / Dmitri SOLOVIEV RUS184.0683
6Anna CAPPELLINI / Luca LANOTTE ITA183.7375
7Madison CHOCK / Evan BATES USA182.0448
8Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER CAN178.9997
9Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE USA177.70310
10Alexandra STEPANOVA / Ivan BUKIN RUS174.70109

LOL at W&P being 6th in both dances and still come 4th overall (and so close to 3rd).

Bobrova & Soloviev being 3rd in the FD is funny too, but not in a good way.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Well in bobsled there is a more determinative and measurable comparison speed. It doesn't matter whether you look better in your costume, point your toes or technique it is the speed.

I'm not saying that I think it's right or fair but I do think that if, big if, Skate Canada seems to be favouring G/P over W/P it probably has more to do with the next quad than with the current ones. Basically it sucks to be W/P right now. Caught in the middle.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Yeah I have a feeling Weaver & Poje will get to skate the FD round but we will see. I would love to see an Olympic medal here, since it certainly wont happen in the individual competition, as worlds here and clearly winning the bronze on the actual ice but losing it anyway to the Shibutanis and almost to Bobrova & Soloviev (and in fact losing to them in the FD part) proves emphatically for anyone who had doubts. So their only chance is in the Team Event, and I really hope they get that chance. And depending who is in the final round they could be non hurt at all by using Weaver & Poje. Even if the Italians and Russians are there W&P have a good shot to beat both Italian and Russian #1 btw, although it isnt a sure thing of course as it would be for V&M. There is still reason to have faith in them. I dont think the Team Event will come down to 1 or 2 points anyway though, I think it will wind up last time, with 3 teams that look pretty close going in, but by the end gold, silver, bronze will each be seperated by a good 6-8 points anyway. So I cant imagine using W&P will cost them at all, even if they lost a point or two possibly.

It all depends on V&M though. If they want to do both they will, if they want a breather W&P get a go. V&M totally will determine it. Last time they were gung ho to do both, so who knows if they will be again. They are older now.

it also mostly depends on pairs and men who are at the just a couple days after the team event.... last time canada used their second competitor in pairs and men to save their top teams...and they should do the same in pairs for sure... in men it depends because patrick is clearly above the 2nd canadian man