Grand Prix 2017-18 News and Chat | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Grand Prix 2017-18 News and Chat

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
As for Medvedeva, I think she will pick CoR and either CoC or NHK. The reason for CoR - practice before Europeans and she did not win it the first time. The reason for the Asian competitions - she has not done them yet. She seems to be quite ambitious. Having "the Grand Slam" of all GP event wins might be in her agenda. How many skaters do have it?

If she picks CoR the good news - I won't have to go far to see her new programs. The bad news - good seats may go for exorbitant prices because of her presence.

For Zhenia I bet on CoR and CoC. JSF will do their best not to pick her and take one of Canadian girls instead. They will have Satoko there and most likely will keep home GP for Marin Honda. So I'd say no chance for NHK for Zhenia.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Others don't rotate.

The US, Canada and China are all huge countries, and I understand why the event only changes its location within the country (alright, I get that the same could be said for Russia as well). None of the European countries are that large, so I'd love for at least 1 European GP event to change countries instead of just cities.

atsumiri

Record Breaker
For Zhenia I bet on CoR and CoC. JSF will do their best not to pick her and take one of Canadian girls instead. They will have Satoko there and most likely will keep home GP for Marin Honda. So I'd say no chance for NHK for Zhenia.

Nhk don't have a choice here.
And Evgenia is the first who will pick. SC would choose Osmand. Or Gabby. host-pick. So Evgenia will get whatever events she wants except SC. And Evgenia loves Japan. And It seems like she prefer to start early.
I think it could be CoC and TDF.
Or CoR and NHK

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
Nhk don't have a choice here.
And Evgenia is the first who will pick. SC would choose Osmand. Or Gabby. host-pick. So Evgenia will get whatever events she wants except SC. And Evgenia loves Japan. And It seems like she prefer to start early.
I think it could be CoC and TDF.
Or CoR and NHK

It is not about skaters wishes , feds decide it most of the time. Zhenia might want NHK but JSF can decline it just like they did with Mariah bell and picked Da Bin instead. I think SC will pick Osmond, SA will go to Gabby. NHK will pick one of the Canadians. Zhenia will have to pick from Cor, coc and teb.

My bets on ladies TOP 3

Zhenia- CoR and CoC
Osmond -SC and TEB
Gabby-SA and NHK

Last edited:

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
The US, Canada and China are all huge countries, and I understand why the event only changes its location within the country (alright, I get that the same could be said for Russia as well). None of the European countries are that large, so I'd love for at least 1 European GP event to change countries instead of just cities.

Russia is bigger that either USA, Canada or China actually. Guess which country is smaller than either of those, is in Europe, has trouble with organization and yet you don't fancy taking away theirs? France. Curious that.

Anyhow, you either make all the events rotating and start distributing those throughout their continents plus adding Australia and NZ there as well or you keep things as they are. It's a can of worms because you can't just single out Russia and not anyone else. Then there are plenty of organizational and monetary problems in terms of sponsors in countries with little to no skating interest etc, etc, etc.

I am not against a rotating GP world-wide in principle but it is far easier said than done and probably not the right place for this particular thread.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
You know, I am praying this one will. Let me explain myself straight away though - I so wish the European GPs would rotate like the other ones do. I am hoping I'll see a day when we get a senior GP event in, say, Germany, Austria, the UK, Poland, or, sigh, my beloved Czech Republic. -_- I think the paying public in the other European countries would cherish an opportunity to see senior skaters from all around the world.

Then why not start rotating with France? It's nowhere as big as Russia skate wise. You'd like to bring GP to your beloved Czech Republic? I can understand that. But what about skaters? Don't they deserve better than what they had in Ostrava? I think there were more people at Russian test skates. Just compare the crowds at Europeans and RT ladies short. And it was the world champion skating.

http://s1.uploads.su/t1hm6.jpg
http://s1.uploads.su/ar1fa5.jpg

Once again, Russia and Japan should be the last victims of rotation based on how popular the sport is there.

Barb

Record Breaker

I think the logistic for small federations organizing the GP each year is not so easy, Barcelona did a very good job but spanish people are very organized. I guess ISU prefer deal with the incompetent French federation because at least they are a sure thing.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Then why not start rotating with France? It's nowhere as big as Russia skate wise. You'd like to bring GP to your beloved Czech Republic? I can understand that. But what about skaters? Don't they deserve better than what they had in Ostrava? I think there were more people at Russian test skates. Just compare the crowds at Europeans and RT ladies short. And it was the world champion skating.

Once again, Russia and Japan should be the last victims of rotation based on how popular the sport is there.

And how many times has the Russian public been criticized for not supporting skaters from other countries enough? And hasn't Ostrava been universally acclaimed a success, and praised by the athletes? Arena not full enough? Yes, two world champions were skating there, but consider that the previous Europeans was in Bratislava, Slovakia, superclose to Ostrava, so since it was mostly the same skaters again, some people maybe opted not to go and save money for Worlds instead. Anyhow, I hope I am allowed to at least dream. :frown:

Last edited:

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker

That's not a stupid comparison at all. :sarcasm:

The women's short in Ostrava was on a Wednesday morning while the women's short at Rostelecom was on a late Friday night.

atsumiri

Record Breaker
TDF and GPF were terrible...
- the melting ice
- plastic medals
- wobbly podium
- no real flags
- musical mishups
- no banquet

tbh I would prefer to see more events from Japan and Russia or Canada .. than other terrible organized event from Europe.
WC2017 at Helsinki was really good except for camerawork.

nocturnalis

Medalist
TDF and GPF were terrible...
- the melting ice
- plastic medals
- wobbly podium
- no real flags
- musical mishups
- no banquet

tbh I would prefer to see more events from Japan and Russia or Canada .. than other terrible organized event from Europe.
WC2017 at Helsinki was really good except for camerawork.

Did you see the Tumblr gifset, by any chance? Anywhoo, any location that has a melting ice presents a safety risk to skaters. Pogo almost faceplanted while saluting!

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
And how many times has the Russian public been criticized for not supporting skaters from other countries enough? And hasn't Ostrava been universally acclaimed a success, and praised by the athletes? Arena not full enough? Yes, two world champions were skating there, but consider that the previous Europeans was in Bratislava, Slovakia, superclose to Ostrava, so since it was mostly the same skaters again, some people maybe opted not to go and save money for Worlds instead. Anyhow, I hope I am allowed to at least dream. :frown:

You can dream OK, but, please, don't spread the nonsense about the Russian public. The only time when it was not supportive to skaters from other countries was in Sochi. There were reasons for that and we went through them more than once in order not to bring it up one more time.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
That's not a stupid comparison at all. :sarcasm:

The women's short in Ostrava was on a Wednesday morning while the women's short at Rostelecom was on a late Friday night.

May be, but short at Russian nationals was also during the working hours and the crowd was quite big. Anyway, I think the notion to take RT from Russia and give to someone else is sheer discrimination. If rotation were to happen the process should be fair. And the reason - the Russian crowd is not supportive - is russophobic.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary

No. You are talking about Sochi. There were many not FS fans, only simply Russian people from the huge Russia. In any other cases the Russian public is very supportive and very expert.

yuna13

On the Ice
I think the logistic for small federations organizing the GP each year is not so easy, Barcelona did a very good job but spanish people are very organized. I guess ISU prefer deal with the incompetent French federation because at least they are a sure thing.

france had 3 attacks. we are still in emergency state ( everything changed) meaning that a lot of money is put for safety and not for beautiful medals. look at worlds 2012 was it bad? no.
tdf are well organized about the gpf (where i went) they picked a town who isn't a skating town, not a lot of advertisement and right now people aren't in the mood to watch skating.

Last edited:

Lunna

On the Ice
Speaking about rotations... I wish that there was a rule that a skater (at least top-skateres) can't participate in the same GP let's say more then 2 times in a row. I understend that feds will not allow it and it will complicate the assignments but well... one can dream (maybe then fans wil get a chance to see Yuzu somewhere other then SC and NHK))).

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Speaking about rotations... I wish that there was a rule that a skater (at least top-skateres) can't participate in the same GP let's say more then 2 times in a row. I understend that feds will not allow it and it will complicate the assignments but well... one can dream (maybe then fans wil get a chance to see Yuzu somewhere other then SC and NHK))).

In fact I am quite happy with skaters coming to CoR. I like Javi and would not mind seeing him yet another time. Yuzuru could show up as well as they have the same coach but that might be too much to ask. In dance we have W/P and C/B who do not win big time internationally these days but whom I enjoy to watch anyway. In ladies I would love to see Ashley, Kaetlyn, and Caro. But understand that the only realistic one among them is Caro.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
In fact I am quite happy with skaters coming to CoR. I like Javi and would not mind seeing him yet another time. Yuzuru could show up as well as they have the same coach but that might be too much to ask.

A large chunk of Yuzuru fanfest is cheering for him to get CoR. Though with him, you'd probably get half of us too and I am not sure Moscow would survive :laugh:

Lunna

On the Ice
In fact I am quite happy with skaters coming to CoR. I like Javi and would not mind seeing him yet another time. Yuzuru could show up as well as they have the same coach but that might be too much to ask. In dance we have W/P and C/B who do not win big time internationally these days but whom I enjoy to watch anyway. In ladies I would love to see Ashley, Kaetlyn, and Caro. But understand that the only realistic one among them is Caro.
I like Javi but well...AGAIN??? Will prefer at least Nathan for a change. But I have a feeling we will have Shoma and Javi this year too.

Lunna

On the Ice
A large chunk of Yuzuru fanfest is cheering for him to get CoR. Though with him, you'd probably get half of us too and I am not sure Moscow would survive :laugh:

Surely Moscow will survive :p if Yuzu will come to CoR he will save a big part of my budget :laugh: or maybe I must start to save for Milan right now :drama: