2017 World Team Trophy - Day 1 | Page 45 | Golden Skate

2017 World Team Trophy - Day 1

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
I don't think Yuzuru's problem was just of today. He seemed similarily fed up with something at worlds too, only today it was worse.

He just aimed to be perfect like Boston free,and SC 2015 he was repeating it since Wednsday , it got him and he got overburned .. this is not the first time ..

Nika09

On the Ice
So, why Shoma didn't get insane points for his SP? Or Jin for his crazy combo? Or judges was generous only for Ladies?
What ever...And don't worry Yuzuru, it didn't worth your self-blaming and self-punishment, belive me! Just beat whoever want to since beginning of this fluff competition and go on, have a rest.

narcissa

Record Breaker
So, why Shoma didn't get insane points for his SP? Or Jin for his crazy combo? Or judges was generous only for Ladies?
What ever...And don't worry Yuzuru, it didn't worth your self-blaming and self-punishment, belive me! Just beat whoever want to since beginning of this fluff competition and go on, have a rest.

Uhm, he got a SB even with a pop.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
There was a lot of great skating today! The Quad Squad did not disappoint! Jason was great. The ladies were excellent.
Yuzu broke my heart! -He does that sometimes. And then is brilliant again. One just has to wait until he sorts things out, is extremely disappointed with himself, and then gives us some great skating. Sometimes he bombs, but most of the time, he's brilliant. To be a fan of Yuzu is to expect and accept both.
Gambare Yuzuru, you'll figure it out. :ghug:

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Maybe he bombed it on purpose, if not consciously, but subconsciously, if someone and everyone kept nagging him, "Give more smiles, give perfection, and more smiles".

Ayyy.... or, you know, he could have just had a bad day like any other skater does.

Yeesh, it's like every time he doesn't skate perfectly people are like "Is he injured? Someone must have said something to anger him. He must be sick." None of the other skaters get that coddling/speculation/etc. when they have an off-day. Where was all the speculation that Javier was angered/injured/sick at the GPF FS or Worlds FS? Or where was said speculation after Anna's Worlds FS, when she'd be lighting it up all season?

As it already has been mentioned, I have never seen him to care less, like "F** off of me", he totally mailed it in

Although, you're right, he was rather aloof during the program, especially after the pop on the loop... the interpretation/performance was just a shadow of how committed he has been to selling this program this season... not that Ms. Tomie Fukudome noticed. :laugh: :sarcasm:

Last edited:

narcissa

Record Breaker
Ayyy.... or, you know, he could have just had a bad day like any other skater does.

Yeesh, it's like every time he doesn't skate perfectly people are like "Is he injured? Someone must have said something to anger him. He must be sick." None of the other skaters get that coddling/speculation/etc. when they have an off-day. Where was all the speculation that Javier was angered/injured/sick at the GPF FS or Worlds FS?

Although, you're right, he was rather aloof during the program, especially after the pop on the loop... the interpretation/performance was just a shadow of how committed he has been to selling this program this season... not that Ms. Tomie Fukudome noticed. :laugh: :sarcasm:

So you're calling that poster a liar for having seen something regarding an injury/surgery?

Mirunna

Record Breaker
None of the other skaters get that coddling/speculation/etc. when they have an off-day. Where was all the speculation that Javier was angered/injured/sick at the GPF FS or Worlds FS?

You must have missed the whole "Javi is lazy and is not working hard enough, his work ethic is not good, he is slacking bla bla bla" :)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
So you're calling that poster a liar for having seen something regarding an injury/surgery?

I'm not calling that poster anything.

I'm just saying that whenever Hanyu performs subpar, there is the inevitable speculation thereafter that says he is injured/angered/someone from the fed said something/he's sick/etc. and no other skater (well, none that's currently skating :sarcasm:) gets the same kind of treatment.

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
I watched the TV Asahi broadcast at my hotel room here in Osaka, and during the Post-SP interview Yuzuru looked a bit bewildered. He eyes are wide open during the interview but they look hollow. It just looks odd. But anyway I hope he can go back in form quick and do his best in the FS.

And while he was waiting in the backstage, he looked completely normal, absolutely nothing wrong. And there was no any saying about injuries etc.

Last edited:

Nika09

On the Ice
I was rolling my eyes at some of the speculation/excuses. He just had a bad day -- even if you're fed up with something, you have to leave that off the ice... not to mention, it's WTT -- it's like the one event where there's no need to be stressed out/angry! :laugh:

I think it's little too tough just say to athlete "you have to leave everything what bothering you behind and stay calm".
Same thing was about Anna.
Of course there's a responsibility and no one want to destroy her/his program. But they all are human beings eventually. With own feelings and problems. Not jumping machines.

narcissa

Record Breaker
I'm not calling that poster anything.

I'm just saying that whenever Hanyu performs subpar, there is the inevitable speculation thereafter that says he is injured/angered/someone from the fed said something/he's sick/etc. and no other skater (well, none that's currently skating :sarcasm:) gets the same kind of treatment.

I feel like that's inevitable speculation from how he looked. I was worried even before he skated. But then again, it could just be nerves/intensity, who knows? I really hope so.

ETA: As far as I'm concerned it's more concern than excuses...it's just WTT...

Last edited:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
It looks a bit obvious.

Olympics are 10 months away. I'm not surprised that he wants to quit after : the amount of pressure that he has is indescribable. Yu-na and Mao 2010 and 2014's style. But even more than Yuna or Mao it seems. And he puts so much pressure on himself alone too. Most of us would get big time anxiety from this.

I'm French and we do not start figure skating or competition because we want to win, we do it for the love of the sport. We don't have a great number of champions but you do remember them, you sometimes oversee the tech because you prefer the performance...
I'd say it is almost the same with Javi (well at least it was because he's gonna be in beast mode until 2018)
It is cultural more than anything, I feel.

One more question : Worlds 2019 are in Japan, isn't the fed going to push him to stay one more year ?

I think that the level of pressure he imposes on himself alone is astonishing, as perfectionist Yuzuru is, but at the same time a very considerate one, especially regarding his country expectations...It's not a easy and light baggage to carry aside of all those physical demands FS brings to skaters. He have to maintain his mind equally strong as his body. He's a perfectionist like I said and he'll chase that optimal state for himself for the whole time he'll compete, that's his mentality, work ethic and character of an athlete, but fed should do everything to relieve all 'outside' tension put on his arms. I think that Yuzuru sure feels it all and sometimes it could be too much, after all - he's a human being too while competing, it's not like there's Yuzuru-athlete and Yuzuru-human, he has a right to have an off day like all of us. Just more evening out pressure/expectation and consideration/understanding levels.

ETA - and I do get that Japanese fed has its expectations towards skaters, especially those on 'star' status like Yuzuru, but shouldn't it be in their best interest not to add additional burden on Yuzuru, looking at all this madness around him? I think that the less 'outside' pressure he'll get, the more he'll focus on his skating and how to get to the 'optimal' state he's searching for, and this would probably make his mind a lot more 'rested' (along with his body, as pressure tends to have its influence also on body)

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I feel like that's inevitable speculation from how he looked. I was worried even before he skated. But then again, it could just be nerves/intensity, who knows? I really hope so.

I think he just had an off day. Sometimes even champions can't handle the nerves/intensity.

Although, come to think of it... Chan/Kovtun/Reynolds were looking paler and more nervous than usual........... ;)

I think that Yuzuru sure feels it all and sometimes it could be too much, after all - he's a human being too while competing, it's not like there's Yuzuru-athlete and Yuzuru-human, he has a right to have an off day like all of us. Just more evening out pressure/expectation and consideration/understanding levels.

This poster gets it.