State of U.S. Ladies' skating 2016-17 | Page 137 | Golden Skate

State of U.S. Ladies' skating 2016-17

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... I don't see either getting Visa now that Sui/Han have them ...

Very possible that Visa will sponsor additional skaters for 2018 besides Sui/Han.

On Team Visa Sochi in 2014:

- Gracie
- Meryl/Charlie
- Denis Ten
- Volosozhar/Trankov
- Joannie Rochette (retired)

https://usa.visa.com/dam/VCOM/downl...s-media-kit/team-visa-sochi-global-roster.pdf

BTW, the day before the NBC promo shoots (which Ashley and everyone else openly discussed), she had another shoot that was "secret" (per her reference in an Instagram story).

She never said anything more (AFAIK) about the secret shoot ... so it is possible that it was for a sponsor (an additional sponsor??).

Last edited:

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I just want to see Gracie fit and ready come September when the Olympic season starts. I don't expect her to suddenly be consistent and win everything in sight but at least if she is in shape she has a chance but if she stays out of shape like last season she might as well retire.

I admit I was kind of shocked when I saw how out of shape she was at that exhibition. People are paying good money to see what they hope is good skating. Having Gracie just walk through it out of shape with a double toe and single axel is not only an embarrassment to the people who paid to see her skate but also to the whole group who wants to have some legitimacy on their tours. Let her go and find herself. Cut her off. Give another up and comer a chance who won't take a paycheck only to perform at an Intermediate level. You would think that okay, she ruined last season, but there's less than 360 days to Olympics. Don't you think you'd work your butt off EVERY one of those days to show you are worthy???? I wonder if Gracie is also injured and there's no word about it. I know that when I was injured I'd never say anything, but if my performance/s were way off, I might allude to a sore back or something, pulled muscle, bad ankle, whatever. Problems with injuries and growing up for that matter is that you can't do things that easily had come to you. You figure it out, or just slack, or just retire. That video of Gracie was a disgrace. Put a new up and comer in her position if she's not willing to fix it or decline when she knows she can't do it. Plenty of up and comers who could use the money and do their best for the $$$$.

andromache

Record Breaker

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Athletes with major sponsorship deals have missed the team before.

cough*McLoughlin & Brubaker*cough

Once upon a time there was this HUGE series of pre-Olympic adds for Reebok featuring "Dan & Dave" for the decathlon. And Dan didn't make it through Olympic Trials. But they kept him in the ads all the way through the Olympics. (I still remember the ads so obviously it worked). Dave medaled. And four years later, it was Dan who won gold.

The ad campaign must have done just fine. Both guys received other sponsorship deals afterward.

Last edited:

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Athletes with major sponsorship deals have missed the team before.

cough*McLoughlin & Brubaker*cough

Once upon a time there was this HUGE series of pre-Olympic adds for Reebok featuring "Dan & Dave" for the heptathlon. And Dan didn't make it through Olympic Trials. But they kept him in the ads all the way through the Olympics. (I still remember the ads so obviously it worked). Dave medaled. And four years later, it was Dan who won gold.

The ad campaign must have done just fine. Both guys received other sponsorship deals afterward.

It was the Decathlon. Umm, no, not at all. Dan was so arrogant that he wouldn't lower himself to at least get a minimum high jump score at the Oly Trials. Then he f'd up, and if he didn't have a third try he f'd up on the next one which gave him ZERO points. Therefore, no OLY's for Dan! (Dave, who really wasn't in Dan's league did go to the Olys and won I think a bronze, or was he even off the stand?) Dan O'Brien had to toil another four years to prove he was the best decathlete, he didn't go all arrogant, and yes, he ended up winning OLY GOLD four years past his coronation.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I admit I was kind of shocked when I saw how out of shape she was at that exhibition. People are paying good money to see what they hope is good skating. Having Gracie just walk through it out of shape with a double toe and single axel is not only an embarrassment to the people who paid to see her skate but also to the whole group who wants to have some legitimacy on their tours.

Normally I'd say this was a harsh comment, but she is still an Olympic hopeful and it's upsetting to see her jumps, which were her strength, in this condition. I mean, Yuka Sato still lands the 2A in her exhibitions (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Azp0HZ7FC9U), and she retired before Gracie was even born.

beki

Medalist
I'd have to agree. There should be some standards. Katia Gordeeva did 2A for years (plus sublime SS) :bow:

But this is part of a longer trend in the US. I saw a lot of complaints when Sasha Cohen and Alyssa Czisny did exhibitions without jumps. There is a technical erosion in the shows. A fear factor. And Gracie's jumps were her highlight moves; she doesn't have signature spirals or spins to compensate.

creaturelover

On the Ice
But this is part of a longer trend in the US. I saw a lot of complaints when Sasha Cohen and Alyssa Czisny did exhibitions without jumps. There is a technical erosion in the shows. A fear factor. And Gracie's jumps were her highlight moves; she doesn't have signature spirals or spins to compensate.

Agreed - At least Sasha Cohen has her amazing spirals (+ spins) and Czisny has fantastic spins! Gracie's jumps were her selling card - I loved her 3Lz - 3T at the 2014 Nationals and she had a great exhibition that year too (Chicago)

moriel

Record Breaker
I dont think jumps are a must for a show... But some WOW elements surely are. They can be anything, as people pointed out, spirals, spins, jumps...
But there has to be some wow, else its just not fair.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The Inside Edge: Edmunds returns following layoff
Olympian no longer bothered by bone bruise ...

Posted 5/11/17
by Sarah S. Brannen
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2017/05/11/229654430

Mariah Bell is a headliner for the Cleveland Skating Club's 80th anniversary shows this weekend.

Re Gracie and SOI:

The first announcement of the 2017 cast (ETA: including GG) came on January 13 -- before Nats.
SOI would have known that Gracie's GP season was sub-par, and SOI evidently did not care whether or not Gracie had a better competitive showing at Nats.
Seems that SOI wanted Gracie, no matter what.

And I imagine that few (if any) of us have seen an SOI contract -- with any skater.
I certainly have not, so I have no idea whether or not the language in SOI's contract with Gracie requires her to perform certain elements.
As long as she is living up to the terms of their contract, I would not realistically expect SOI to replace her. It was SOI's choice to book her in the first place.​

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Gracie performed to the music as so many of folks have criticized her for not doing, so now she is criticized for jumps?

To be fair, a 2T and 1A is pretty awful technical content for someone who aspires to make her second Olympic team. She certainly has time to regain her jumps, but I had hoped that she'd be pushing herself to attempt harder jumps by now.

jf12

Final Flight
I've always liked Gracie's skating when she's at the top of her game, and am really rooting for her comeback. It isn't harsh to say that doing planned singles and a double toe in a show pre Olympic season isn't exactly normal for someone hoping to make the team. There are 35 year old adult skaters in local competitions who work regular jobs 9-5 that have more content than that in their programs. It's not unfair to expect a lot more from someone who is that good and that talented as her!

mrrice

Record Breaker
To be fair, a 2T and 1A is pretty awful technical content for someone who aspires to make her second Olympic team. She certainly has time to regain her jumps, but I had hoped that she'd be pushing herself to attempt harder jumps by now.

As would I. Especially after missing the World Team for the first time in years......I would have thought that would light a big fire under Gracie, telling her that she needed to work harder, sooner, than she did the year before. As pretty as her jump free skating is, that will not be enough to get her on the team with the hungry, deep field we have right now. Even Polina is doing 3loops and she's been out of competition for a year.

Last edited:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A friend of mine was at the Chicago Stars on Ice last Sat. I asked her how Gracie did, how she was received by the audience, etc. My friend said she was very well received by the audience with lots of applause, and she skated very well. I was glad to hear about the positive reception. Unfortunately, I do know my friend wouldn't know a wally from a quad axel. I still just can not give up on Gracie. I want to see her get her act together again! Come on Gracie!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm so glad to hear her bone bruise finally healed! And she's back doing triples, that's great news. She looks so grown up on the ice now.

Polina has been showing a lot of growth in her basic skating skills whenever she posts on her Instagram stories. If she can produce at Nationals I'd peg her for the "she's due" girl this season. She looks in great shape and refreshed so I think there is a shot she'll come back better than ever. Will she get two GP spots after sitting out the season with an injury?

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Polina has been showing a lot of growth in her basic skating skills whenever she posts on her Instagram stories. If she can produce at Nationals I'd peg her for the "she's due" girl this season. She looks in great shape and refreshed so I think there is a shot she'll come back better than ever. Will she get two GP spots after sitting out the season with an injury?

This is a good question. I'm sure she'll do a couple of pre-season senior B's and if that go's well, I'm sure she'll receive at least one "Host Pick". As a former medalist, I think she has a bi into nationals. Don't quote me on that though..

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
A friend of mine was at the Chicago Stars on Ice last Sat. I asked her how Gracie did, how she was received by the audience, etc. My friend said she was very well received by the audience with lots of applause, and she skated very well. I was glad to hear about the positive reception. Unfortunately, I do know my friend wouldn't know a wally from a quad axel. I still just can not give up on Gracie. I want to see her get her act together again! Come on Gracie!

The little girls scream their heads off for her because she's their definition of an ice princess. Problem is, sadly she's not living up to it, she didn't skate any better in the Chicago show than the previous ones, I really hope she gets it together sooner than later.