State of U.S. Ladies' skating 2016-17 | Page 139 | Golden Skate

State of U.S. Ladies' skating 2016-17

R.D.

Record Breaker
The OP of this thread R.D will know when the time is right :yes: Besides I think we're still sorting out last season :laugh:

Unfortunately I have just not had the time recently and haven't been on here much as a result. Working on one right now though, hang tight.

princessalica

Final Flight
I guess I'm a little confused because there a mix of reviews of Gracie's current skating, some saying she's looking like she doesn't enjoy it, and then others praising her performance, claiming she was the highlight (also saw a mention of how wonderful one of her spins was). It is always that way with people even when she is doing well the reviews mixed because she is much more reserved than Ashley? Not trying to say its one way or the other, just a little odd to see such a disparity in the reviews.

TBH, there were times like at Golden Spin, I felt she was possibly performing more, but her jumps weren't there. So what is the answer? Do some people always say she doesn't perform or are the people who say she really sold it seeing what they want to see?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
For me, Gracie's performance level is tied to how well she is doing the jumps. The portion after finishing her jumps in her 2016 Worlds SP was the best I've seen her perform in a competitive program. It's a stark contrast to someone like Sasha Cohen, who didn't drop the performance level even when she made several mistakes. However, even with a flat performance, Gracie is so talented that if she hit the jumps and her other elements, she should at worst place behind only Evgenia in any event.

moriel

Record Breaker
For me, Gracie's performance level is tied to how well she is doing the jumps. The portion after finishing her jumps in her 2016 Worlds SP was the best I've seen her perform in a competitive program. It's a stark contrast to someone like Sasha Cohen, who didn't drop the performance level even when she made several mistakes. However, even with a flat performance, Gracie is so talented that if she hit the jumps and her other elements, she should at worst place behind only Evgenia in any event.

She would probably even at her best place behind Evgenia, right now.
It was not the case when it was Evgenia's first senior season. But now she has 2 world gold medals and 2 seasons of being virtually unbeatable.
Gracie do not have such reputation, unfortunately.

One thing is obvious though - she just must nail all /most her jumps to be competitive again.

beki

Medalist
I guess I'm a little confused because there a mix of reviews of Gracie's current skating, some saying she's looking like she doesn't enjoy it, and then others praising her performance, claiming she was the highlight (also saw a mention of how wonderful one of her spins was). It is always that way with people even when she is doing well the reviews mixed because she is much more reserved than Ashley? Not trying to say its one way or the other, just a little odd to see such a disparity in the reviews.

TBH, there were times like at Golden Spin, I felt she was possibly performing more, but her jumps weren't there. So what is the answer? Do some people always say she doesn't perform or are the people who say she really sold it seeing what they want to see?
I don't think there is an answer, other than deciding for yourself. You know you are a devout fan of a particular skater when you find something to enjoy in all of their performances, no matter the conditions. I find I am inspired by skaters who are performing at their best, even if they aren't the ones I naturally gravitate towards. I might not be as enthusiastic when they are off their peak form, unless I have an unconditional love for them.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Sorry to hear that. I wish the best for her.

I hope I'm wrong but, I've seen that look from another skater who was gone by the next year and I think next season will be Gracie's last. Ann Patrice McDonough was a young and promising skater when I saw her live in 2001 at Junior Worlds. She won Silver that year and Gold the next. Her last season, she was clearly over weight (For a competitive skater) and had the look of utter disinterest in her eye.

I have followed Gracie for years and I would much rather see her retire than skate badly and fade into oblivion. She's given enough of her life to skating and if she's ready to move on, that's what I think she should do. Carly has already started a new life and if Gracie is ready to do the same thing, I would fully support her in doing so.

Last edited:

qwerty

On the Ice

To indulge a hypothetical (it's the off-season after all!) I actually think peak Kaetlyn Osmond has surpassed peak Gracie Gold. Although the likelihood of both skating two clean programs in the same competition is very slim in reality.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
To indulge a hypothetical (it's the off-season after all!) I actually think peak Kaetlyn Osmond has surpassed peak Gracie Gold. Although the likelihood of both skating two clean programs in the same competition is very slim in reality.

I agree. She also has gorgeous jumps when she hits them and is a much better performer, even though I do like Gracie.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I agree. She also has gorgeous jumps when she hits them and is a much better performer, even though I do like Gracie.

That is an understatement. I love Gracie and was blown away by her jumps and fearless attitude. My first impression of Kaetlyn didn't happen until she was a senior and I can tell you....I called her a "Rockette" because she looked and performed like a Broadway Star.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

I enjoy watching Kaetlyn more, too. (Actually, she's probably my favorite to watch of the current field.) However, I'm not if she can rack up the TES like Gracie can. Gracie can backload more of her content, and her jumps are usually straighter in the air, whereas Kaetlyn has to sometimes work hard to save the landings on off-axis jumps.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker

I would agree and disagree with you qwerty. This was just Kaetlyn's first full season after injury (she did not qualify for the GP or even Worlds, last year). And in earning 4 ISU medals this season, including World Silver medal, and a new found self-belief, I believe we have only seen the beginning of future consistent performances, by KO.

Last edited:

frida80

Record Breaker
I would agree and disagree with you qwerty. This was just Kaetlyn's first full season after injury (she did not qualify for the GP or even Worlds, last year). And in earning a 4 ISU medals this season, including World Silver medal, and a new found self-belief, I believe we have only seen the beginning of future consistent performances, by KO.

I started to tear up when I was looking at old protocols of Sochi and realize just how far she's come. It just goes to show how far perseverance and drive can take you.

skatefan17

On the Ice
I just left Stars on Ice in San Jose at intermission because the show itself had no theme and Ashley performed during the first half. I didn't even recognize Gracie Gold. She skates slow and looks like a shell of herself. She fought through a double TOE LOOP. I actually felt so bad for her because she looks miserable and uninspired. It made me regret going, that's how surprising it was to see her live.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I just left Stars on Ice in San Jose at intermission because the show itself had no theme and Ashley performed during the first half. I didn't even recognize Gracie Gold. She skates slow and looks like a shell of herself. She fought through a double TOE LOOP. I actually felt so bad for her because she looks miserable and uninspired. It made me regret going, that's how surprising it was to see her live.

Actually, it does have a theme and you missed the other half of the solo numbers and the best half of the show, but oh well.:shrug: What I will agree with you on is the sad state of Gracie.

ytl2s

Spectator
I just came back from the Sanjose stars on ice show. Have to say that I was surprised with Gracie's size. She seemed much slower, with subpar jumps, which makes me feel really sad for her since I also watched her live at Boston last year and the difference is huge. I do think she's more relaxed when doing the show compared to competition. On the others Karen and Nathan wowed us with their technical content. Karen's butterfly lovers program really touched my heart and for me was the highlight of the night. Ashley also skated like a queen and is such a joy to watch. The 2nd half of the show is definitely much better than the first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaylee

Medalist
I also attended the San Jose Stars on Ice show last night. Sadly, I don't have a different opinion on Gracie's performance. I've seen her live before, notably at 2013 Worlds and 2014 Nationals--where she was amazing. She's not only a far cry from her peak condition, but there was at least one moment in her first solo act where it looked like she had forgotten the choreography. There were a couple of moments like that in the final group number as well. She did two double toeloops that were barely off the ice, and I can't believe I'm saying this, but Adam Rippon's layback spin was faster than hers. I think she was missing from the group number that opened the second act, which was weird because Jeremy/Adam/Ashley were there.

Karen Chen was outstanding. Her first number was energetic and delightful. It looked like she was going for a 3Lz combo, which she turned into a 3Lz/half-loop/2T? Did one double jump, but nailed 2A, and in her stunning Butterfly Lovers exhibition, she landed all three of her triples, including 3Lz, 3Lo, and one other that I can't remember. Her interpretation and performance were beautiful--I had a lump in my throat. Butterfly Lovers was my favorite performance of the night--an exhibition that would easily fit in to any world-class skating show anywhere.

Ashley Wagner gave excellent performances. She was committed, energetic, and knows how to perform to the audience. My date (who knows nothing about skating) really liked her "Handclap" exhibition...might have had something to do with her costume. :p She landed 5 jumps in her Exogenesis exhibition (two triple flips, two axels, and a triple loop). I've seen her live a bunch of times, from way back in 2010 at All That Skate LA, where she was the least credentialed skater there, to 2013 Worlds & 2014 Nationals, and she's really grown a lot as a performer. She looks great and I would not at all be surprised to see her make her second Olympic team.

andromache

Record Breaker
God, all this Gracie news is so depressing. At least during last season she was capable of executing triple jumps.

If she doesn't like skating anymore, that's perfectly acceptable. She doesn't owe it to anyone to keep going, other than to herself if she wants it. And if she doesn't? :confused2: Then why keep going?

qwerty

On the Ice
I am curious as to the rationale behind planned doubles on SOI for Gracie. I can only think that she's either,

a) injured, but keeping it quiet
b) unmotivated to try harder elements
c) lost her triples

I'm worried that the answer is c, which would be pretty bleak for the Olympic season.