2017-2018 Canadian Road to the Olympics | Page 81 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Canadian Road to the Olympics

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I only have one nationals wish.. may our pairs team be D/R, S/B and I/M.. please, pretty please.. skating Gods hear me now.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I only have one nationals wish.. may our pairs team be D/R, S/B and I/M.. please, pretty please.. skating Gods hear me now.

If You have only one, I think it might be doable ;) (*just pray to SBS jumps gods:laugh:)

good to see You, ancientpeas:), and I kind of get the feeling of this relatively calm atmosphere surrounding Can Nats as You have pointer in SD thread, especially comparing to pure DRAMAHHH we had last week in US Nats, but my hope is that performances this weekend will be in the main spotlight and that they will be fantastic, making us super excited for them, not necessarily for all additional actions around selections:)

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
As the first to jump on the Keegan to the Olympics bandwagon I just want to say - Keegan really did good for himself. Whether or not he makes it this is a result he can be proud of.

Last year's Nationals were more relaxing. This year seems to have drawn a circus being the pre-Olympic event. Not to mention the missing Canadians and their humour. It's become an unpleasant experience.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Yes, after re-watching Keegan and Elladj I have nothing but an immense respect to each of them - despite the stakes and pressure I feel like they made it simply a solid, memorable experience for themselves; they put their best effort technically/execution-wise and really excelled in performance area for me.

Keegan is one of mine discoveries this season and I think that his package is one of the best in entire field, why? Because of sourcing from his best qualities, highlighting performer's flair and giving him a very nice polish all-around. He is a skater born to make a certain, singular character, bold image on ice: his speed, swift, 'compact' way of movement, his level of integration and engagement into performance his upper body along with edges, all are perfect for dynamic, rhythmical pieces feeding on particular 'someone' portrayed on ice, not an abstract figure to be existing to the music, he's just not that type of skating. His musicality is also worthy noting - he really can give out the nuance of composition, musical accentuation, balancing the stop and the move part, not losing this sense of the character and control over performance. I feel that he is one of skaters who performs very 'straightforward' to the music and to the audience - it is not about blending inside of the music, trying to do this 'artist' impression to the outside, his skating is more about being right to the music directly, being in this very place of performance. And it really works for him in my opinion, because between the style he has, programs he does and way he performs it, there is an incredible cohesion that allures people, making him very likeable, approachable in reception sense.

As for Elladj, what I love the most about him is the fact that regardless of program mod, he always performs it 'to the people', not keeping the experience to himself. He really has the unique ability to interpret music in a very distinctive way, accentuating/building the image of the whole performance on both lyrics and rhythm's level. And when he is hitting his stuff technically, people are here for it, no wonder why since he gets them going no matter of Country and competition, pretty much like Misha Ge for me.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Nice comparison... Elladj and Misha... so different but alike in so many ways.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So proud for Gabby!! She went out there on a mission and looked like a major contender for any podium!

I’ve seen it reported that she had pneumonia and would like some clarification if possible. That’s bonkers if it was reported accurately and a little concerning. I’ve suffered thru this terrible condition myself twice and if it’s the case she needs to be careful! Even while in the recovery stage it’s easy to relapse so she’ll need to balance her training and rest to maintain her optimal physical condition while not overdoing it and causing the lung infection to intensify. Maybe she’s got walking pneumonia? I’ve never had that myself but I heard it’s much more manageable than what I’ went thru but still needs to be taken very seriously to prevent a prolonged illness. I was off the ice for over a month last time I came down with it so it’s very impressive that she managed to do so well. Hopefully the worst is behind her!

Anyway...best of luck Kaetlyn, Gabby and whoever gets the third spot in Korea. Man...it’s right around the corner!! :dance:

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Will it be Larkyn or Alaine who gets the 3rd spot???????????

Also, are training conditions just not good in Canada? Why are the ladies so, well, you know. And if training is so bad there how’d Gabby and Kaetlyn get to be so good? Maybe Canada has a lack of quality coaches? Maybe Orser already has too many students and can’t take another lady? Maybe the families cannot afford to go to Orser?

mrrice

Record Breaker
I purposely did not watch the Men last night. Some of my former students were performing at Fresno State and I knew that if Patrick didn't do well it would wreck my mood for the performance. So, If Elladj and Keegan are on the team, it means that Patrick and Kevin are not. Where did they place? Are either of them going to 4CC? I'm sad about Patrick because he's been responsible for getting Canada so many spots throughout his long and storied career.....I must say that I'm very happy for Keegan as I remember seeing live when he was still skating for the US in 2011. He was the Hulk that year.

Warwick360

Medalist
Surprised Keegan managed the Olympics Team. At least the Nationals position seems to be respected somewhere.:dev2:

rvi5

On the Ice
I purposely did not watch the Men last night. Some of my former were performing at Fresno State and I knew that if Patrick didn't do well it would wreck my mood for the performance. So, If Elladj and Keegan are on the team, it means that Patrick and Kevin are not. Where did they place? Are either of them going to 4CC? I'm sad about Patrick because he's been responsible for getting Canada so many spots throughout his long and storied career.....I must say that I'm very happy for Keegan as I remember seeing live when he was still skating for the US in 2011. He was the Hulk that year.

Patrick - gold
Keegan - silver
Nam - bronze

Kevin was 5th, behind Elladj.

mrrice

Record Breaker
His jumps were catastrophic most of the times....but yes, he won. :slink:

Well, if any skater deserves to be held up, it's Patrick. He's been the lead Man for so many years and even if he doesn't medal as an individual, I think he can really help the team. They have a real shot at winning the Gold.