2018 Europeans Free Dance | Page 30 | Golden Skate

2018 Europeans Free Dance

Barb

Record Breaker
Where are all the people getting their crystal balls from saying that either V/M or P/C are going to win the OGM? Makes me wonder have any of you guys watched olympics before - it is always full of surprises.

Everything is possible, but it is obvious that P/C only need stay on their feet to win, they do not even need to synchronize their twizzles.

labgoat

Working on Costumes contest & REWATCHES
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As a P/C fan I have to agree that even though they were once again sublime, I preferred their GPF skate. They (particularly her) were a bit more subdued here. I know we should not compare scores between different competitions, but subjectively speaking, since they skated the same FD better, the +10 across the board was a bit too much. Since V/M were not here, it's pointless to discuss about the prospects of Olympic gold.
I am thrilled for B/S, well deserving silver medal. To me, there was no question B/S were the second best by far on the day. Since Anna/Luca messed up, bronze was well deserved as well. Overall a gorgeous podium

I think P/C may have been concentrating on the tech side to gauge any changes made and to see what else needed adjustments in their last tuneup before the big event as were probably most couples leading to a subdued event.

LaArdilla

Medalist
We can compare V/M and P/C's scores as much as we want, but I think that at the end of the day it will all come down to who is stronger mentally at the OG. It will be V/M third Olympics and I would never underestimate their ambition, drive and charisma; it'll be P/C's first (again, bring that mental coach with you!).

Anyway, I love both teams. It's a great feeling, you guys, you should try it :D

Iris81

On the Ice
Papadakis and Cizeron were fantastic. Great skate!
Tatiana Tarasova was in tears, she said it's the best program of the last couple of years and she was not able to sleep all night when she saw their Moonlight Sonata for the first time. :)
She repeated several times that it is a masterpiece.

Artistry

On the Ice
I think Tarasova's spare but precise commentary says it all: this Moonlight composition is a work of art, it is not just an illustration of an opera, or a tale of a movie, it allows us to feel, and each person to interpret as they can, to live it with them, as they can.

I watched it again after GPF and find more and more to adore, the choreography is so subtle to this genius piece of world piano repertoire. Who is the choreographer?

yuna13

On the Ice
Papadakis and Cizeron were fantastic. Great skate!
Tatiana Tarasova was in tears, she said it's the best program of the last couple of years and she was not able to sleep all night when she saw their Moonlight Sonata for the first time. :)
Upd. She repeated several times that it is a masterpiece.

thank you :). i wanted to know what she thought about gabriella and guillaume performance.
you should post it on the P/C fan thread.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
P/C might have picked a warhorse but they are not treating it like one. That's the most intriguing Moonlight Sonata of any skater and has their signature style, and a contemporary feel.

V/M upped the ante at Nationals but I still like the French's FD much more.

keasus

On the Ice
I think the scores are still relative to the other skaters. There was indeed a huge difference between P/C and the rest.
With V/M in competition I think the judges would have given P/C a little less than at GPF (but probably still higher than V/M). After the retirement of the canadians, I guess the judges will need to invent new scores for P/C, because there is no other great team left.

edit: I'm also sorry for C/L, it wasn't their best day...

Unless there is a backlash among the judges and tech panels. Judges can be very fickle, and the tide can change quickly.

Giselle

Medalist
I think Tarasova's spare but precise commentary says it all: this Moonlight composition is a work of art, it is not just an illustration of an opera, or a tale of a movie, it allows us to feel, and each person to interpret as they can, to live it with them, as they can.

I watched it again after GPF and find more and more to adore, the choreography is so subtle to this genius piece of world piano repertoire. Who is the choreographer?

They do credit Marie-France Dubreuil and Jeffrey Cirio for the FD. Here's an article about their collaboration with Cirio.

slider11

Medalist
Is it just me vor did Anna look Little tired today. Anyway this Programm is beautiful and Interpretation on point

Even beyond the twizzle mistake, Anna did not look "on" today. That program has such potential. I really hope they are able to perform well at the Olympics and at Worlds in their home town. It would be a terrific closure to their competitive careers!

cell

On the Ice
Where are all the people getting their crystal balls from saying that either V/M or P/C are going to win the OGM? Makes me wonder have any of you guys watched olympics before - it is always full of surprises.

Ice dance is the most predictable discipline though, no?

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I think the scores are still relative to the other skaters. There was indeed a huge difference between P/C and the rest.
With V/M in competition I think the judges would have given P/C a little less than at GPF (but probably still higher than V/M). After the retirement of the canadians, I guess the judges will need to invent new scores for P/C, because there is no other great team left.

edit: I'm also sorry for C/L, it wasn't their best day...

there will still be the ShibSibs

sweetice

Praise the Ice God
Final Flight
There is a reason for Anna Cappellini's red dress ? I like her a lot more in white, on this program.

Anyway, i'm a bit sad for Anna e Luca's performance, making a mistake on the twizzle is not normal for them.

The result are definitely right. Bobrova/Soloviev's free program is a piece of art.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ice dance is the most predictable discipline though, no?

Sometimes, but when things get shaken up, it seems to happen at really big competitions... almost as if judges at lesser competitions don't want to go off-script.

Examples: D/W won everything in sight with their charming Strauss program, and then were upended by V/M at World's one year. I never figured that one out - the protocols that year simply looked like the judges changed their minds.

When G/P won the Olympics for the first time, I think it was their first major international title.

At the WC last season, H/D are suddenly in medal contention after the SD, and I don't think they had ever beaten C/B or Shibs anywhere before.

After Sochi, I don't think anybody would have guessed that P/C would be Olympic favorites four years later.

Barb

Record Breaker
People keep saying that W/P will continue at least 2 years, and same for H/D and C/B but now many people think that Maia and Alex will retire :rolleye:, Maia is 23 yo guys, she is only 1 year older than Stepanova and Gabriella P. . I mean, if there are 30 yo skters competing I see no reason for Maia 23 yo and Alex 26 yo retire now.

Anna Capellini is 30 yo
Meryl was 27 yo in Sochi
Tessa is 28 yo, Scott is 30 yo
Kaitlyn Weaber is 28 yo, Andrew 30 yo
Madison Chock is 25, Evan is 28yo
Madison H is 26, Zach is 27 yo

So, if they can continue competing, Maia and Alex can do it too.