2018-19 Russian test skates | Page 45 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian test skates

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
Creative definition of "flutz". It's ! at worst(usually not even). That's a completely different thing, which I'm sure you're aware of.

Indeed, ! is just -2, -3 in GOE with no impact on base value. It's still beneficial even if one gets called for it every time. e Flutz is the issue.

Here is Anna's "flutz" in the free skate: https://i.imgur.com/2cRX8D9.png

That is a ! in my books - absolutely nothing wrong with for me as no skater is perfect but can we at least be objective, that is not an outside edge by any means, it's flat.

Reddi

Rinkside
1. I spoke about program absence because I saw no program and assumed that she's perfoming a program dummy. Because it's all that she showed us.

2. Zhenya always had flutz despite all of the attempts to fix it. That's not new. But I distinctly remember Orser's smug interview about "correcting her flutz and not hiding it under the boards like her former coaches". Yeah. Bollocks. Guy hadn't done anything noticable to her flutz yet (it's ok just stop advertising the improvement) and as it rurned out isn't all that immune to hide a bad jumps (evem more of them lol) under the boards.

In short: after all these words about "improvements" in various departments it was rather baffling to see a mountain giving birth to a mouse on Megasport ice.

ArenaWings

On the Ice
I love how people can go on with that one technical aspect for so long about Medvedeva. It's almost a non-sense, or maybe a crazy love?. But anyways, I think if they put it out there, she will fix it sooner or later, one way or the other.

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
I have seriously seen the word "flutz" already one too many times this season :drama:

rikaquegira

On the Ice
What about Alina's nano-second spiral? I think it was in her long program.

Her FS is filled with these one second spiral kind of moves and it is seriously the worse thing I can think of in terms of choreography. It is so unnecessary and it doesn't have absolutely anything to do with the music, it completely lacks purpose. And I think almost all of Daniil's programs I've seen so far this season have that. :noshake:
I mentioned this before, this thing of putting her leg up needs to stop, it's too much.

The choreography of both programs are troublesome. In the SP these moves were the ones which bothered me the most:

https://youtu.be/UsJ5sbjexTg?t=1m40s <- why???

https://youtu.be/UsJ5sbjexTg?t=1m10s <- why so short? If she just held that spiral at least for the "good niiiight" part it would be much much better than this.

This was not the best showcase of this program, she was completely off the music. By the beginning of the GP it will get better, I hope.

Her FS is not defying or provocative or flirty or what we expect from a Carmen program. That might change, of course. She's not performing it yet, I think she was just trying to do her jumps well while doing that busy choreography. And, once again, those moves:

https://youtu.be/oZQNpH1am1E?t=2m13s
https://youtu.be/oZQNpH1am1E?t=2m28s <- charlotte spiral, beautiful, well done, great 2A and then....... why????? :noshake:
https://youtu.be/oZQNpH1am1E?t=3m7s <- another one millisecond spiral.
https://youtu.be/oZQNpH1am1E?t=3m17s <- girl, hold your positions or at least choose one! :laugh:
That whole session looks so strange, with that heavy music with no accent no nothing. It's awkwardly choreographed. This is the worst part of the program imo.

https://youtu.be/oZQNpH1am1E?t=3m32s <- I know she needs them TR points but is that really necessary??

Watching this yet one more time, I noticed she has a lot of posing this season. A lot of "stops". Both in the SP and in the FS.
Also, each time I watch her SP I think it is a little less awful. I can see the intent behind some of it, but it is still very messy imo.

Has she commented on her programs? Maybe they are not finished yet. The FS seems more unfinished.

With all that said, I think she will do well this season. The programs are packed with transitions, her jumps seem fine. Yes, she had some trouble but it might be the nerves.
I hope she can put herself together and have a great year! This might be her last season after all, with Junior ladies right around the corner coming for her spot.
It will be a very interesting season.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Her FS is filled with these one second spiral kind of moves and it is seriously the worse thing I can think of in terms of choreography. It is so unnecessary and it doesn't have absolutely anything to do with the music, it completely lacks purpose. And I think almost all of Daniil's programs I've seen so far this season have that.

I agree with you, and it's something Eteri's team choreographed even as far back as Julia. It's just movement for the sake of movement.

zounger

Medalist
I think Liza was the highlight of the event in ladies. The confidence in twitter, interviews etc. have been shown on the ice.

A nice view of a beautiful jump.

rikaquegira

On the Ice
I think Liza was the highlight of the event in ladies. The confidence in twitter, interviews etc. have been shown on the ice.

A nice view of a beautiful jump.

To me the highlight was Polina's SP and Evgenia's SP.
In general I think everyone performed the SP better than the Free. It's so early in the season, you can see some of them are not fully trained yet. But everything will get better. :agree:

zounger

Medalist
To me the highlight was Polina's SP and Evgenia's SP.
In general I think everyone performed the SP better than the Free. It's so early in the season, you can see some of them are not fully trained yet. But everything will get better. :agree:

I meant the Megasport event ...

ArenaWings

On the Ice
I agree with you, and it's something Eteri's team choreographed even as far back as Julia. It's just movement for the sake of movement.

Maybe those movements add more points in competitions? I feel like Zagitova's programs are there to be just a background for her to perform as many elements as possible.
Unlike Trusova, she has to compete against someone who has close TES with her, and she can't yet match Medvedeva on PCS.
So, the team probably was able to put in more effort into Trusova's programs, cause they look pretty good <3

sweetice

Praise the Ice God
Final Flight
I'm late but, as everyone talk only about the ladies, i think my favorite short program is the one of Aliev, if we take away the falls on the jumps, obviously.

I'm also happy to see Voronov and Liza skate like that.

Now i better go see the free :biggrin:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Maybe those movements add more points in competitions? I feel like Zagitova's programs are there to be just a background for her to perform as many elements as possible.
Unlike Trusova, she has to compete against someone who has close TES with her, and she can't yet match Medvedeva on PCS.
So, the team probably was able to put in more effort into Trusova's programs, cause they look pretty good <3

There is a part of me that suspects that they find these highly complex and surgically placed movements beautiful and expressive. I kind of agree TBH. It’s impressive and has an effect on me so I end up connecting with the performance sometimes thru sheer excitement alone. Occasionally I think to myself “we’ll that was one too many” but I think it’s fair to point out that programs that rely on longer set ups and more gliding have those moments too. I trust the judges know what to do in those moments.

andromache

Record Breaker
I trust the judges know what to do in those moments.

Said no figure skating fan EVER! :drama: :laugh:

Anyway, I hate the "movement for movement's sake." Alina has proved capable of being able to hit a gorgeous Ina Bauer or spiral position for a very brief amount of time - but I want to see those movements held on an edge at some climax in the music to really create a MOMENT. I appreciate difficult transitions, but they have a tendency to not go with the music and make the program feel "cluttered." I understand criticisms that the "North American style" can feel too empty - but, I don't know, I think some North American choreographers have pretty much achieved a perfect balance between transitions & musicality in programs for mostly Japanese skaters (I'm thinking Yuzu, Shoma, Satoko, and also Javi and Patrick Chan). The programs are by no means empty but they don't seem empty either. But you need the skating skills and musicality/interpretive ability to make a program work even when you're doing nothing but crossovers/empty skating.

Watch

Final Flight
I'm surprised how much I liked Kolyada's FP. I thought I really didn't need any more Carmens this season, but he sold me on it.

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight
I love how you can criticize Alina up in flames here but say one thing about Evgenia and you get jumped by 4 people.

How the turntables...

Tutkamysheva's attempt to be relevant is honourable but her skating remains a chore to watch.