2018 NHK Free Dance | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2018 NHK Free Dance

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
It will be interesting with Chock and Bates being MIA until Nationals whether Parsons and/or McNamara/Carpenter can snatch a spot as well.

The US is so strong in dance. Even with two of the top 3 teams from last year out atm, there's two teams with GP wins and both likely in the Final, and two more with medals.

Lota

Record Breaker
Happy for everyone, especially H/B. It's always nice to see skaters rise after a tough couple of seasons :peace:

I have to say though, the stand-out performance for me today was from the Brits. They looked crisp, sharp and ready to conquer. Hopefully, this 4th place does not discourage them, but instead gives them a confidence boost (if not for the deduction, they'd have won the Free). Looking forward to what they can achieve in the future! :cheer:

Ok, off to bed now, it's 6am where I live :yawn: :bed:

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
So, how goes the final standings now?
Hawayek/Baker are in as long as they finish fourth in France.

Zahorski/Guerreiro will have to wait to see if Gilles/Poirier get silver in France; if they don't, then Z/G are the sixth team.

So... Is it impossible for G/P and Z/G to both be at the final?
If G/P are second and H/B finish fifth or worse in France, then both G/P and Z/G are in the Final.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
Wow, that performance absolutely proved that these two made the right decision in going to Montreal. Jean Luc is a star out there, as always (that slide :love:) but Kaitlin has improved leaps and bounds in her confidence. Better levels in the FD too, though they'll want to bring those Level 3 lifts up.

I poo-pooed Kaitlin's RD dress but I loved this one!

And the gooey part of me was in tears with them at the end. They must have worked incredibly hard to get here. Their delayed reaction to winning was also very charming.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Wow, that performance absolutely proved that these two made the right decision in going to Montreal. Jean Luc is a star out there, as always (that slide :love:) but Kaitlin has improved leaps and bounds in her confidence. Better levels in the FD too, though they'll want to bring those Level 3 lifts up.

I poo-pooed Kaitlin's RD dress but I loved this one!

And the gooey part of me was in tears with them at the end. They must have worked incredibly hard to get here. Their delayed reaction to winning was also very charming.

Well it sounded like they virtually had to reset when Jean-Luc got his concussion in August. Not to mention kind of being at a standstill the last four years. They've really come a long way.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
So... Is it impossible for G/P and Z/G to both be at the final?

No, but it is a bit hard. The first way I can think of for it to happen would be Sinitsina/Katsalapov messing up in IdF and coming 4th or lower with G/P 2nd and maybe H/B 3rd. Assuming S/B win at CoR, then we could have H/D (1/1), S/B (1/1), G/F (2/2), H/B (1/3), G/P (2/3), Z/G (2/3).

Unless H/B finish 5th or lower in France, I don't think we can have all 3 of G/P, Z/G and S/K in.

Personally, I think G/P deserve it more than Z/G since their scores show they are more competitive with the top teams, so I hope they make it. But I like Z/G too.

If all of G/P, S/K and Z/G end up with 2nd/3rd combos, Z/G will likely to be the ones to miss based on scores.

auser

Record Breaker
Japan loves them. The Japanese audience always brings out their best.

Given that I saw that program in 17 second bursts, it's hard to judge it. But some of it is just wow. Some of it still looks underrehearsed. But they have massive room to grow with that over the season.
Good grief. I guess it is a little late to ask which stream you were watching, but wish I could have done better by you :). Thank you for your insights, especially given the difficulties :thank::bow:.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As always I :love: Jean-Luc. He can do it all on skates.

But Kaitlin has really come into her own and commands some attention on her own. Which is hard to do when your partner is Jean-Luc.

So happy for them:clap:

Ross74

Medalist
Medal Ceremony: Jean-Luc looks like he just popped out of Midsummer Night's Dream. :laugh:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Well it sounded like they virtually had to reset when Jean-Luc got his concussion in August. Not to mention kind of being at a standstill the last four years. They've really come a long way.

If you want to see just how far, look up their Junior performances. I clutched my pearls every time they did a twizzle sequence, usually with (alas!) good reason.

Ah but you could see the talent even then. And they still have yet to skate a really classic ballroom style as Seniors, which is what won them their JWC. Watch their SD from JWs. It's quite something. I never understood why Detroit never explored that style with them as Seniors.

What's really interesting to me is that BOTH H/B and Z/G have enormous room to grow these programs through the season.

Things are getting Mighty Interesting.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I overslept. Looked at results.

What happened?!??

Two points - Disco Babes forever and so, so happy for Kaitlin and Jean-Luc! I am going now to post videos and then watch them:laugh:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Good grief. I guess it is a little late to ask which stream you were watching, but wish I could have done better by you :). Thank you for your insights, especially given the difficulties :thank::bow:.

Ah I'm on DSL--the perils of a strict budget--and sometimes that happens. It's just really bad today in a way it hasn't been in years. Figures! LOL!

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
If you want to see just how far, look up their Junior performances. I clutched my pearls every time they did a twizzle sequence, usually with (alas!) good reason.

Ah but you could see the talent even then. And they still have yet to skate a really classic ballroom style as Seniors, which is what won them their JWC. Watch their SD from JWs. It's quite something. I never understood why Detroit never explored that style with them as Seniors.

What's really interesting to me is that BOTH H/B and Z/G have enormous room to grow these programs through the season.

Things are getting Mighty Interesting.

TBH I was a convinced going into their FD that H/B were going to have some major error that would take them off the podium, because they've been prone to falls over the last few years. But the potential is there and always has been.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Also - looks like those who chose The Irrepressibles won this season and second - 65 pts in predictions game after not making much of them after RD! :laugh:

Mohacz

Medalist
Country
Poland
ICE DANCE RESULTS

After the FD the vast majority of yesterday's winners of RD have not maintained their positions and only dodbirdo, Marin and Ziotic were able to defend their bronze medals.

We have 5 gold medalists with 75 points, 8 silver medalists with 70 points and 28 bronze medalists with 65 points:

Gold: corynna, FS101, readernick, snowflake and zebobes

Silver:apgold, Crossover, Fancyskates, Marius, Nathan13, Sam-Skwantch, SashaJuliaSpins and Skater Boy

Bronze: andromache, Azcha, cake, cer, charmblade, Chris Cooper, danse, dodobirdo, Dreamer57, IceBallerina, katymay, Klarnet, ladykk, lichi, lost3iron, lutz, Lyssa, Marin, marulia, NoNameFace, NYscorp6, randomfan, Seren, sisy, sunnystars, sweetice, TheBallerina and Ziotic

Congratulations to the winning skaters and prediction game ice dance podium!!!!

:hap10::hap93::cheer::clap:

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Congrats to H/B, definitely deserved to win here. FD understandably needs some mileage but there were lovely, expressive moments in the final minute of their FD. Also, nice to see F/G’s development since their ‘You Raise Me Up’ free in 2016, almost winning the FD here. And have the judges finally found a way to mark each component separately instead of the usual mark each component within tenths of a point from each other? At least for F/G, they gave them 3/4 of a point more in PE, CO, IN vs. SS, TR. Their charisma won both the audience and judges over.

Other than these two teams, not too many highlights. So many seemed to have bobbles, stumbles, and overall shakiness. Part of that was likely pressure to get on the podium or win. Oh well, a learning experience for these rising teams.