Ilia Malinin - Solid Quad Axel attempt | Golden Skate

Ilia Malinin - Solid Quad Axel attempt

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I can't 100% tell in far of rotatio (havent slowed it down yet), but it's the best I've ever seen.
From what I can see the jump rotation is clear.
It would definitely be "certified"! :biggrin:

Awesome attempt! :clap: And yes - by far the best quad axel attempt ever. (Also, crazy that he also does a bracket transition into it too.)

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Please Stay Healthy! Ilia is such an exciting young skater and I truly see him as the future of the US Men. A quad of any kind is hard on the body if it's not perfect rotated and landed. I guess it's a nice thing for history but, he doesn't need A Quad Axel to win. Good Luck Young Man.

Last edited:

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Please Stay Healthy! Ilia is such an exciting young skater and I truly see as the future of the US Men. A quad of any kind is hard on the body if it's not perfect rotated and landed. I guess it's a nice thing for history but, he doesn't need A Quad Axel to win. Good Luck Young Man.
With Yuma and the others looking stronger and stronger, maybe he will need a 4A in the future to win. Especially if Yuma gets 4Lo and 4F sorted, he'd be getting significantly higher PCS and close on TES.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
More practice vids from our young quad god. :)

I do hope he is working on those spins and that presentation as well as jumps. Yuma did, and it worked out for him.

Looking forward to their match-ups in the future. :hap10:

Trusova4Ever

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Okay this is a development. I feel like everyone is waiting for Yuzu to do the quaxel first, like that is very much is baby per se and something that he said he wanted to be the first to get ratified and everyone was going to let him have it. Nathan has even said in an interview that he was waiting for him to do it. I am just thinking that if Ilia or even someone else like Artur Dmitriev Jr. lands it first they will have Yuzu's toxic fan group on them for stealing that from Yuzu.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Okay this is a development. I feel like everyone is waiting for Yuzu to do the quaxel first, like that is very much is baby per se and something that he said he wanted to be the first to get ratified and everyone was going to let him have it. Nathan has even said in an interview that he was waiting for him to do it. I am just thinking that if Ilia or even someone else like Artur Dmitriev Jr. lands it first they will have Yuzu's toxic fan group on them for stealing that from Yuzu.
I think they can take it. And toxic fans will get what they deserve: a disappointment.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Not sure how anyone could accuse Ilia from "stealing" it from Hanyu if he does it in competition. Skaters don't own the right to be the first to land a jump... and Hanyu has had way longer to try and land a ratified 4A himself, and hasn't done so. So should Ilia wait until Hanyu lands it?

But I mean... you're not wrong. I mean, certain people were quick to dismiss Artur Dimitriev's amazing attempt at US Nationals. And some were super quick to legitimize a UR fall as the first legit attempt (as if Artur had never attempted it at Rostelecom). I can guarantee that some folks are more pressed than praising after seeing Ilia's attempt here.

But no matter how you feel about Ilia/Artur/Hanyu, there is little argument that this is the best quad axel attempt - it's more rotated than any attempt I've seen, and it's a turnout and not a stepout with the free foot coming down for support. In competition this might even get 0 GOE or even positive GOE (given it's just a turnout, there's a difficult entry, it's obviously got height/amplitude).

Slow motioning it - it's also insane how high his free foot on the drawthrough of his takeoff is... like the right knee seems to clears the height of his own shoulder. :eek:

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
I bet it will be sooner rather than later. My recollection is that he was trying 3/4 and 4/4 combos with falls, and then suddenly, like a week later, they looked effortless.

I also bet that he puts some of these crazy jump elements in a program at a low-stakes summer competition.
It'd be silly to try this first at worlds, but remember boitano and Browning kept trying to quad at these high stakes competitions. If he thought he could do it, I wouldn't put it past him.

He should also be looking to try it at these small internationals- if it's not an international, it might not be certified officially.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
A very good attempt!!! I remember Stojko saying long ago that one needs mileage for the quad jumps. So, it would be a good idea for Malinin to try it e.g. at summer competitions or in Challenger series to get that necessary mileage, IMO.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
That's certainly rotated, and but for the step out could be ratified (certainly above certified)...

We're still a couple of months away from any comp where it could be ratified, and at the speed with which he improves, I've no doubt he'll be rid of that pesky step-out by then. And may USFS make sure they have good security when that day comes!