Ilia Malinin - Solid Quad Axel attempt | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ilia Malinin - Solid Quad Axel attempt

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
That's certainly rotated, and but for the step out could be ratified (certainly above certified)...

We're still a couple of months away from any comp where it could be ratified, and at the speed with which he improves, I've no doubt he'll be rid of that pesky step-out by then. And may USFS make sure they have good security when that day comes!
I think step out isn't ratified - for ratified he has to stay on one foot completely sticking the landing (A turn out is allowed)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think step out isn't ratified - for ratified he has to stay on one foot completely sticking the landing (A turn out is allowed)
Yes, that is what I said. But for the step out, this could be ratified.

My understanding is that it has to be fully rotated (no sign), one foot, and neutral or positive GOE.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Yes, that is what I said. But for the step out, this could be ratified.

My understanding is that it has to be fully rotated (no sign), one foot, and neutral or positive GOE.

I see, I misread, my apologies.

That used to be my understanding too, but it seems Mroz got negative GOE on his 4Lz that was ratified so idk. (Maybe I'm forgetful)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I see, I misread, my apologies.

That used to be my understanding too, but it seems Mroz got negative GOE on his 4Lz that was ratified so idk. (Maybe I'm forgetful)

Yeah Mroz only got -GOE because he was a lower-tier skater. Some might argue he didn't have enough steps leading into it (required of the solo jump in the SP), but IMO he did with the forward sculling, then the choctaw/foot cross over you see on many "down the ice" lutzes. And top-tier skaters have had fewer or non-existent entry steps and have not been deducted. Had Takahashi or Kozuka done the same element the exact same way, the GOE would have surely been positive.

A couple dodgy exits have been labelled the first. Ando's 4S was arguably UR, and Browning 4T had a turn out.

These days to ratify a jump is much harder. A "q" on a jump might drive the GOE to be negative which wouldn't techincally ratify the jump which is bs. And there are several jumps that have issues on the landing that still get +ve GOE (as I said, this one might were it landed on the music, bracket entry, great height/amplitude), so the - reduction for turnout and freefoot down (but weight still on landing foot) might still amount to 0 GOE. Of course, if Malinin had Olympic/World titles, he'd be awarded +2 for that attempt lol.

And yes, he should train this jump at summer events where he'll easily win (or it doesn't even matter if he doesn't win). My thought/hope is if he develops enough of a lead after the SP, he'll be given the green light to go for crazy unprecedented jumps in the FS. I mean, yeah, it's great to land at high profile events, but just make the history first and get it ratified before your body changes further/etc.

Also, I'm blown away that he's gotten this, when it seemed from his insta that he was cooling it on the crazy jump combos/passes. I thought Chen was the absolute peak of technical ability but this guy is so freaking talented.

joeylv

Spectator
If he can do it in race......alright,I think he is too early to jump all of these quads

moonkat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Since Midori Ito was the first to do triple-triple and 3A, it makes sense Ilia would be able to land quad-quad and 4A. The main issue I see is focusing on actually winning competitions. I think Yuzuru sacrificed his prime to win medals. He could never be okay with being off the podium. Only now, towards the end of his career is he really YOLOing. As someone has said on reddit Yuzuru hasn't been able to make his rotation efficient enough and jump high enough to land the 4A and it is too similar to his 3A. Ilia's 3A looks like it goes up in a smooth curve, while he gain a lot of height immediately for his 4A.

Timestamp at 0:30

In addition, Ilia lifts his hip and knees to what looks like 90 degree with his foot above knee before 90 degrees in rotation. The 90 degree hip bend looks unique to Ilia's 4A. You can see in image 4 Yuzuru does not have his knee bent that much. Not until image 5 90 degrees mark is his foot above knee.
FJoCGPsaUAATcS1

Yuzuru's height gain is too smooth, too gradual, too much like a 3A.

Of course the video quality for the Ilia's 4A is not great, so I could be mistaken.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Wow 😮! Ilia! He shocked me with his quad-quad combos. So, this isn’t too much of a surprise.

I do believe men can do 4T-4T, 4Lo combos, as he has already shown. I wish this was allowed. The next steps are 4A and 5T, which I believe are possible. The women have caught up with 4T, 4S, 4Lo, 4F and 4Lz. So, Men should be pushing for these type of jumps.

Ilia is a master of technical elements. I’m looking forward to Yuma versus Ilia in the next quad.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Wow 😮! Ilia! He shocked me with his quad-quad combos. So, this isn’t too much of a surprise.

I do believe men can do 4T-4T, 4Lo combos, as he has already shown. I wish this was allowed.
The next steps are 4A and 5T, which I believe are possible. The women have caught up with 4T, 4S, 4Lo, 4F and 4Lz. So, Men should be pushing for these type of jumps.

Ilia is a master of technical elements. I’m looking forward to Yuma versus Ilia in the next quad.
I don't understand why you say quad combos are not allowed. They are allowed in the LP for sure. However, as many skaters have issues with quads, i cannot see how quad combos will become popular to start with. For Malinin, doing a 4t-4t has no advantage for his layout. He gains more point repeating higher BV quads.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Absolutely amazing!!!

I have a question for everyone though: Is it good coaching and jump technique or is he just really gifted?
From what we know, accumulation of everything. Best access to ice, facilities, coaches etc.

Of course, it's impossible to rule out other training methods that we don't know about.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Absolutely amazing!!!

I have a question for everyone though: Is it good coaching and jump technique or is he just really gifted?

A lot of being an elite skater depends on being gifted genetically/physically. But to do a quad axel requires strong technique and lack of fear. Technique can be taught but the mental fortitude to believe one can do unachieved jumping passes and then actually going out and doing those takes a special kind of skater. Even the most genetically/physically gifted skater would be unable to do a quad/quad or quad axel if they did have the gall to go for it.

You can see on his axel takeoff that there isn't skidding and the follow through is really just textbook. He's actually giving himself the height he needs to fully rotate the jump. I suppose being able to reel off the impossible with quad-quad combos does give one confidence in being able to go for a quad axel. Which many view it as the holy grail of skating, this just looks like another insane jump that he's casually checking off his list.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Comparing quad axel attempts:

Malinin

Hanyu
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/6xJYPswt494 (harness)

Dimitriev Jr.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSyJ3umMg-s (Nationals)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1ShHhhjZJk (first ever attempt in competition)

Messing (harness)

I know Chen had good attempt but with a fall, but can't seem to find the video.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Comparing quad axel attempts:

Malinin

Hanyu
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/6xJYPswt494 (harness)

Dimitriev Jr.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSyJ3umMg-s (Nationals)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1ShHhhjZJk (first ever attempt in competition)

Messing (harness)

I know Chen had good attempt but with a fall, but can't seem to find the video.

What seems to be the differentiator in Malinin's is that he really does drive that knee UP - like he recognizes that the jump's height will be limited based on how low that knee is driven up - so the higher he drives it up, the greater the potential height on the jump (which makes sense). As I said, his knees at the peak of the jump seem to be around his shoulder height. While some of the other guys are prioritizing distance on the jump and speed going into it, as well as speed of rotation, it seems that this initial focus on attaining height right from the drive-through knee allows him to complete the rotation more successfully in the end. Obviously more height = more air time (unless you have a harness pulling you up a split second longer), and that's the key factor that has been missing from previous quad axel attempts.

I notice that he's also really using his arms well to drive the upwards momentum of the jump with his arms swinging above his head (his elbows are almost at his shoulders at takeoff), whereas I'm noticing lower arms/elbow height of the other guys, the arms start pulling in and stop at the chest height (it's like they drive the arms/knee through 90%, but then pull in to snap into the backspin and control the rotation). For Ilia, it's like he drives his entire body, including his arms and leading knee. up first as high as they can possibly go, and then pulls into the rotation. It's not quite a delayed rotation, but it's a bit reminiscent of Lussi technique where the priority is to drive the free leg through as much as possible and then pull into the rotation for greater amplitude/rotation.

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Well, to my eyes, Ilia hit the landing cleanly for a few seconds on one foot, and then he turned out (because it was hard to stop the rotation? or because he was not completely balanced, i.e. his body was leaning when he landed so the blade was slightly tilted and couldn't support the lean of his weight; thus he had to turn out to catch himself from falling). It's the best attempt at an unassisted 4-axel that I've ever seen, because the rotations were so crisp and controlled in the air. It was a confident, no second-guessing, solidly executed jump. The next step will be to fine-tune a clean landing. And, as a poster mentioned earlier, Stay Healthy!

Last edited: