Ilia Malinin - Solid Quad Axel attempt | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Ilia Malinin - Solid Quad Axel attempt

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Well, to my eyes, Ilia hit the landing cleanly for a few seconds on one foot, and then he turned out (because it was hard to stop the rotation? or because he was not completely balanced, i.e. his body was leaning when he landed so the blade was slightly tilted and couldn't support the lean of his weight; thus he had to turn out to catch himself from falling). It's the best attempt at a 4-axel that I've ever seen, because the rotations were so crisp and controlled in the air. It was a confident, no second-guessing, solidly executed jump. The next step will be to fine-tune a clean landing. And, as a poster mentioned earlier, Stay Healthy!
Of course, I'm not debating the quality of jump, but rather ISU definitions.
I think because he put his other leg down on the landing (which wasn't held for "a few seonds", in competition they would ratify it. That doesn't undermine the amazing achievement

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
I remember that. It was a good attempt, but nothing close to Malinin's.

Chen's had me thinking "OK, whatever" and this Malinin attempt has me thinking, "Right around the corner."
Chen's looked pretty good on rotation (limitations being refresh rate and resolution), but it didn't look like a stable jump, lacked height, was very off axis and didn't look like he could stay up on it (Maybe different if he really wanted to train and land it).

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Of course, I'm not debating the quality of jump, but rather ISU definitions.
I think because he put his other leg down on the landing (which wasn't held for "a few seonds", in competition they would ratify it. That doesn't undermine the amazing achievement
LOL. It may have been a second then at the very least. No matter what, it was clear that Ilia landed the jump on one foot, but he was off balance, so he had to turn out and put down his other foot to catch himself from falling. He also clearly got all the rotations before landing, which is not something we've seen as well executed in other worthy attempts.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I remember that. It was a good attempt, but nothing close to Malinin's.

Chen's had me thinking "OK, whatever" and this Malinin attempt has me thinking, "Right around the corner."

Yeah, not to undermine people brave/ambitious enough to attempt it before but this is the first time I’m like, oh wow, a quad axel *can* actually be legitimately executed without needing a harness and to the point of being ratifiable by today’s definitions/parameters for jump “firsts”. It just took a 17 y/o capable of quad-quad combinations to get us there, lol. 🤷‍♀️ He might not ever land it cleanly in competition but we now know that Malinin could actually be the first to get sufficient rotation in competition based on that attempt. Same with Uno’s 3A+4T which was exciting to see in practice because we actually have a video of it being done to the point of being ratifiable.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
honestly, first time i believe it will be landed for sure... :) though I LOVE keegan's harness jump... as it's so beautiful... and his 3a is so big... but until Ilia's attempt, i didn't think i would see anyone could land it..
It would be the most ironic thing now if Artur Dmitriev somehow became the first to land it after all that.

icetug

Medalist
Maybe not - Arthur could get to some challengers
I can imagine them all '4A contenders' at Lake Placid challenger in September. However, if Ilia and Yuzuru do not make any significant mistakes in SP, it is Arthur indeed, as performing FS earlier than them, who has a chance to land 4A as the first...

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
I can imagine them all '4A contenders' at Lake Placid challenger in September. However, if Ilia and Yuzuru do not make any significant mistakes in SP, it is Arthur indeed, as performing FS earlier than them, who has a chance to land 4A as the first...
If all three of them landed it, but Artur became the first due to having a worse sp that for me would be the greatest comedy for my year.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
If all three of them landed it, but Artur became the first due to having a worse sp that for me would be the greatest comedy for my year.
It cannot be in the short program, it can only be in the free.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think kolyadafan understands that, whoever finishes lowest in the SP would be the first to skate in the FS and thus first bite at the landing a 4A apple.
Oh, pfft, of course. Apologies, my post-football brain.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Maybe? I dunno, I think it's fun that he skates for the heck of it... but I think it would be an overkill.
His US nationals was a total disaster, but he can be better than he showed there. (I.e. messing combo, going for risky 4Lo instead of 4T). Messy FS with worse components then he normally shows.