2014 Finlandia Trophy | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2014 Finlandia Trophy

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Well, all I can say is that what's horrible for one person is lovely for another ;)

I agree, I personally find her very fresh and different, even though you can already expect this kind of programs for her. It's what works for her, she found her style, so what's the problem? At least she has a style, most skaters skate to music, different types of course, in the same manner, the music being a background noise. Liza skates TO the music and that is what should count. There is no category in PCS for being versatile. Plus she is young enough to try later on different styles. Now she needs her confidence back, it's only natural she'll go with the music/programs she is comfortable with.
After officially hating her usually head to toe black costumes, I think this one works for her LP. She looks fabulous.

TMC

Record Breaker
Before I go to bed (it's half 2 here) I just need to share this :biggrin:

I've mentioned how my mum used to be a fs fan and how she's practically given up because she felt bad watching skaters delivering clean programs and losing to others who could fall twice because they could rotate one more time than the other skater? Well, today was the first time she saw fs live since the 70s I think, and what a difference a day makes.

After 8 hours at the rink, it took us over 3 hours to get home. We were both dead tired, and she's nearing 80 so not particularly excited about staying up past 10 pm. First thing she does when we get home? Switch on the computer so that she can watch all of the skates again :laugh:

TMC

Record Breaker
I agree, I personally find her very fresh and different, even though you can already expect this kind of programs for her. It's what works for her, she found her style, so what's the problem? At least she has a style, most skaters skate to music, different types of course, in the same manner, the music being a background noise. Liza skates TO the music and that is what should count. There is no category in PCS for being versatile. Plus she is young enough to try later on different styles. Now she needs her confidence back, it's only natural she'll go with the music/programs she is comfortable with.
After officially hating her usually head to toe black costumes, I think this one works for her LP. She looks fabulous.

:clap: to everything you say here :)

ice coverage

Record Breaker

I've mentioned how my mum used to be a fs fan and how she's practically given up because she felt bad watching skaters delivering clean programs and losing to others who could fall twice because they could rotate one more time than the other skater? Well, today was the first time she saw fs live since the 70s I think, and what a difference a day makes.

After 8 hours at the rink, it took us over 3 hours to get home. We were both dead tired, and she's nearing 80 so not particularly excited about staying up past 10 pm. First thing she does when we get home? Switch on the computer so that she can watch all of the skates again :laugh:

:yay: :cool: Great story. Hugs to you and your mother, TMC. :)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
How can Elizaveta get that presentation score ? I mean 7.90 for choreography and 8.05 for interpretation ? Is she really interpreting something ? I just don't understand.She starts with something rhythmic and then sad music comes up and rhythmic again.Sorry, I can see no relevance.And her dresses...
You do realize that you've just described the vast majority of figure skating programs?

I guess Michelle Kwan's Rachmaninoff is just "She starts with something slow and then something rhythmic for the footwork... what is she interpreting anyway?" :rolleye:

Great story. :yes: Thank you for sharing.

mustafakent

On the Ice

Does skating to the known music every year like Dark Eyes, Adios Nonino, Malaguena, Bolero make her very fresh and different ? All she does is choosing a good music and skating to it.Her personality is just about that.She has the power and I am not gonna deny it I like her power and her big jumps.She is full of energy but she is so unoriginal to me. :eek:hwell:

You do realize that you've just described the vast majority of figure skating programs?

I guess Michelle Kwan's Rachmaninoff is just "She starts with something slow and then something rhythmic for the footwork... what is she interpreting anyway?" :rolleye:
Well, I wrote these for Liza's program.Not for Michelle or any other skater.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
So excited to see photos of the Ladies medalists wearing some of the handknit mittens from fans! :yay:
And so happy that Tuktamysheva (fittingly) received one of my favorite pairs from the Facebook page. :)

(Sorry if a similar image already has been posted/discussed in the thread. I am not up to date.)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Does skating to the known music every year like Dark Eyes, Adios Nonino, Malaguena, Bolero make her very fresh and different ? All she does is choosing a good music and skating to it.Her personality is just about that.She has the power and I am not gonna deny it I like her power and her big jumps.She is full of energy but she is so unoriginal to me. :eek:hwell:

Well, I wrote these for Liza's program.Not for Michelle or any other skater.
So who is "original" to you? Plenty of people still skate to those pieces of music. You can apply the same criticism to Kim, Kostner, ect. Just like you can use "well, it's just rhythmic part + slow part" to dismiss almost every skating program, including legendary ones like Michelle's Rachmaninoff.

Obviously, I'm not saying you need to love Liza or her programs. I just wish if were possible to engage with your criticism. Which parts of Liza's programs didn't fit the music? What choreographic changes would you make? I love discussing these things, but as it stands your criticism is a blanket judgement that could apply to any skate, ever.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
QUEEN LIZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I'm really grinding my teeth that Artur isn't here. Oh Tat, what are you thinking? He could have WON this, with Voronov off-kilter, Petrov not quite there yet, Adam and Misha not exactly being stiff competition...and then Artur would have got valuable ranking points AND a confidence boost ahead of Skate America...

Looking at protocols, how on earth did Misha get a time violation AND late start? Oh my.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Looking at protocols, how on earth did Misha get a time violation AND late start? Oh my.

hmmm I wonder it the time for the program starts from when the penalty clock hits zero. . . that would often put a late start into too long it seems.

That does seem interesting to say the least.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Liza is getting her old self back.
Even though Sam is doing the same program again, I am not tired of watching it. In addition to her excellent interpretation, the program is also full of transitions--good choreography like many Russian ladies'.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

Liza now looks and skates like a Lady rather than a teenaged frantic jumping bean.

Even though Sam is doing the same program again, I am not tired of watching it. In addition to her excellent interpretation, the program is also full of transitions--good choreography like many Russian ladies'.

I watched Samantha's video for the first time and I like her style, but, doesn't she seem to be skating in slow motion?

Misha's skating is much improved. His showmanship tended to cover or distract from his weak skating.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
Wow to me it looked like he was skating in slow motion. Definitely a step below what he is capable of and far below the top contenders. Yes, hopefully it was early season nerves and uncertainty.

Isn't Raphael known for being a jump technician?

Barb

Record Breaker

Her split (Sam) is lovely.

TMC

Record Breaker
Her split (Sam) is lovely.

hmmm I wonder it the time for the program starts from when the penalty clock hits zero. . . that would often put a late start into too long it seems.

That does seem interesting to say the least.

I actually thought he kept going quite long after the music had stopped? Does anybody know how many seconds they have after the music ends before the penalty?

Rami

Rinkside
I was watching this live and have to say that this must have been one of the most boring Finlandia Trophy competitions I' ve ever seen.

The men's SP was a total bore. The only one who was interesting was Petrov. He was the only one who tried to feel the music. I was very surprised to see Voronov's PCS's, his skating was very half-hearted. The music was just a background noise to him, he didn't really pay any real attention to it. I was expecting to be in awe by Rippon's skating. That didn't happen, not even close. Not sure if that's the right SP for him. Rippon's skating is lacking in power and speed.

Ladies and ice dance were slightly more interesting.

In ice dance I enjoyed the US couple the most. They were the only ones to have some real personality on the ice. The Germans had an interesting choreography but they presentation needs work.

The ladies event was sort of a let down. I was expecting to see some real battle between the Finnish girls but they seemed to be afraid of it. Jenni Saarinen is my favorite of the trio. She has the best jumps and some versatility, the biggest artistic potential. I hope Jenni will get to skate at the Europeans and Worlds. I think she is the most impressive Finnish skater since Lepistö. Efimenko's SP was very nice but I was quite surprised of her PCS'. Her jumps are very low and her interpretation quite generic especially in the LP. Turkkila's skating hasn't develop at all since she moved up to seniors. I don't get the PCS' she is getting. :confused2: There is no real speed or power in her skating and her movements are very small.

Tuktamysheva was the fair winner for the event. She was the best skater in this competition. Her skating didn't have the same wow effect or command as last year but she was still good. Though I'm not not sure if Bolero is the best possible SP music for her. Spins need work.

Cesario reminds me of Tuktamysheva in the way that they both share the narrow style of interpretation, there aren't that many musical styles they can skate convincingly and neither has any real depth in their interpretation. They are very literal and stereotypical in their interpretation. It's not necessarily a problem but after couple of seasons of their skating you really want to see more than that.

Cesario's skating was ok. Her basic skating skills and spins need a lot of work. Many of her jumps looked close on rotation. She and some other girls were very lucky that the caller was very lenient.

Last edited: