Jason Brown | Page 384 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Such a great interview! Thanks for posting it. :agree:

For me, the funniest part of the interview was the story about the SP costume - so now we know: Jason likes simple, and he's a drama queen about his costumes! 😜

katmari

Final Flight
Country
United-States
For me, the funniest part of the interview was the story about the SP costume - so now we know: Jason likes simple, and he's a drama queen about his costumes! 😜

I instantly thought of you and Karne when he mentioned wanting to skate to a tango. :biggrin:

jacky

On the Ice
phil hersh is a negative person and Jason brown is avery positive person and estremenly talented the quads will come and when they do watch out. I don't like the way phil wrote the article. but that's phil hersh. all the skaters are very talented and it is a competition good luck too every one.:hap10:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I instantly thought of you and Karne when he mentioned wanting to skate to a tango. :biggrin:

Well he wants to do something crowd pleasing, so maybe! Seriously I'd love to see salsa or Cuban son. But we'll see. I actually find his success with the current FS so fascinating, because listening to him speak - as high energy and...ebullient as he is - you'd never imagine he could do something so calm and beautiful. And yet I think it's grown into my favorite of his programs. 😊

I thought it was really interesting to hear him describe that final 2-week push before Worlds that taught him he could once again rely on his stamina and training. As positive a person as he is, you can tell NHK was really difficult for him. So glad he's in the other side of it now!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So much for thinking the SP costume was for Hamilton, (and now who knows about Hamilton) when he's had it since October!:laugh:

A welcome interview, with persons interested in what Jason has to say, and in letting him say it. And Jason's power of positivity.

(Also, I choose to believe the Google translate of the Japanese interview means that Dice thinks Jason is wonderful and even sexy. Just like Doug Mattis would have thought:biggrin:

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
It's Phil being Phil. .... He doesn't acknowledge that other elements make up the sport besides jumps and doesn't give Jason credit for excelling in those elements. ...

.... However, he remains one of about four skaters in the entire men's field that I have any interest in watching. ...

... I'd have rather Phil write about something he seems to enjoy writing about more. ... I don't think Phil thinks much of Jason ...

Obviously this thread once again needs this reality check / reminder:

Just a few months ago, Phil included Jason on Phil's list of top figure skating memories. Phil included fifteen memories dating back to 1984 on his list, and Jason's Riverdance at Nats was one of them.

Phil put Jason right up there with Torvill/Dean; Gordeeva/Grinkov; The Battle of the Brians; Michelle Kwan; Yuna Kim; etc.

The list was published in the 2016 Skate America program as well as the Nov 2016 issue of Skating magazine.

I've added emphasis below:

... I’ve been so lucky,” Hersh told SKATING magazine. “I’ve been able to cover Kim Yu-Na, Evan [Lysacek], Brian Boitano, Katarina Witt, Michelle Kwan, Kristi Yamaguchi, Scott Hamilton and now skaters like Jason Brown.” ...​

http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/2016 Skate America Program_low res.pdf
(pp. 56-57 of the PDF, which corresponds to pp. 54-55 of the 2016 Skate America program)​

http://content.yudu.com/web/y5b2/0A1uvwc/Nov2016SKATING/html/index.html?page=42 (pp. 40-41 of the Nov 2016 issue of Skating)

I didn't think Hersh's article was that negative, honestly.

I think he's expressing the general sentiment of Jason's place in the competition. I don't think it's that out of line to state that he has a considerable base value disadvantage on paper. The sport has changed a ton technically and it comes as Jason is still trying to master even one quad. I don't think Phil is wrong to state he is between a rock and a hard place.

He gave Jason a ton of opportunities to speak about his view of the whole thing -- namely that he isn't focused on what other people doing, but he isn't going to ignore that all this is happening either.

Also, I think it's probably worth noting that he DID write this:

I think this pretty much reinforces my belief of Phil's view on Jason. I think Phil is hard on Jason because he is a top skater. This is not some fan favorite like Sean Rabbit (who I like a ton, btw). This is someone that is one of the best the U.S. to offer but yet is far from being at the top internationally. I think you sense there's a question of whether he'll ever get it or will catch up or what not. I think Phil is just simply pro-being competitive with the world. I think Jason certainly has the ambition and drive to get there, but I can see why people think he may have stagnated (I don't agree, obviously).

... I think Phil is very interested in Jason and his progress. If he thought Jason wasn't relevant, he wouldn't even bother to write about him in the first place.

Thx for all your comments, Mrs. P. :agree:

Last edited:

katmari

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Obviously this thread once again needs this reality check / reminder

Actually, I don't. However, rather than derailing the thread further by responding to the trollish behavior I chose to turn the focus back on the subject of the thread: Jason Brown.

:cheer: Jason :cheer:

Good Luck at Worlds!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
It's Phil being Phil. .... He doesn't acknowledge that other elements make up the sport besides jumps and doesn't give Jason credit for excelling in those elements. ...

.... However, he remains one of about four skaters in the entire men's field that I have any interest in watching. ...

Actually, I don't. However, rather than derailing the thread further by responding to the trollish behavior I chose to turn the focus back on the subject of the thread: Jason Brown.

:cheer: Jason :cheer:

Good Luck at Worlds!

The point of my post was that Phil has made clear that he feels lucky to be covering Jason (because Jason is one of the greats of the sport, in the same league as Michelle Kwan, etc.) and that Phil -- like you -- is interested in watching Jason.

And one of Phil's top figure skating memories is Jason's Riverdance.

I would take these compliments from Phil to Jason as de facto acknowledgment from Phil that other elements make up the sport besides jumps and as de facto credit given from Phil to Jason for Jason's excellence in those elements.
YMMV.

I join you in cheering for Jason.

Last edited:

TMC

Record Breaker
That was totally worth aggravating my cold (the practice rink is freeezing)!

Sat about 4 meters from the ice. Jason did a few 3Loops and some good 3A3Ts. Popped a few quad attemps. FS RT was good, though not as good as the one yesterday (or the day before? The days run into each other). He's exactly as elegant in person as I imagined, and quite a bit faster! Huge charisma :)

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Both nervous and excited for Jason. Wish him the absolute very best at Worlds!!! Loving his vibe.. he does appear to be 100% on game so I just know he will do his very best for us!!!!!:
God speed, Good Luck Jason! May your heart be light and your skates have wings!!!
:love: :yahoo: :clap: :hap10: :hap93: :dance3: :ddevil: :dance2: :hb: :popcorn:
L

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Probably means no quad bc of how long he'll have to wait after warmup. But I'm betting he will handle skating last here just fine!

It's certainly possible to lose everything with a bad SP, so I think in general, playing safe while maximizing everything else if possible is a good tactic. I also think he should be just fine.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Jason and Kori show up at the end of the skatingfinland Snapchat!

Good luck to Jason tomorrow!

Ross74

Medalist
Well he wants to do something crowd pleasing, so maybe! Seriously I'd love to see salsa or Cuban son. But we'll see. I actually find his success with the current FS so fascinating, because listening to him speak - as high energy and...ebullient as he is - you'd never imagine he could do something so calm and beautiful. And yet I think it's grown into my favorite of his programs. 😊...........

This is what I love about Jason's programs, the diversity of styles. Riverdance, T & I, and Scent of Love are such different programs stylistically and he is so talented to be able to interpret them all so well. Not to mention his earlier traditional classical routines, as well as some of the more upbeat shorts. I'd love for him to do something completely different next season, just to see what it would be.

Loved that IceTalk interview! It's well worth the time and the hyper to listen. :) It's a small thing, but I like that Jackie mentioned the posters at the rink. It was also interesting to hear about going to Toronto for another new pair of interim skates that were easier to break while recovering from injury. I also enjoyed their joking about talking/not talking about the quads.

Jason drew last :)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Go, Jason!

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jason drew last :laugh:

Some day we should set up a "what order will the skaters draw" contest in the general fora. All the Jason fans would win, or at least be secure in one spot.:biggrin: