Favorite Warhorse programs | Golden Skate

Favorite Warhorse programs

andromache

Record Breaker
So with all of the (justified :)) hate for POTO, Carmen, etc., I thought I would make a topic for us to discuss our favorite programs set to terribly overused music. The music is overused for a reason no matter how tired we get of hearing it, and sometimes it can result in very beautiful, magnificent programs.

Based on the sound of the music alone, my favorite warhorse is Romeo and Juliet. I love the portions of it that everyone uses and rarely get tired of hearing it. For me, one of the most memorable R&J's is Sasha Cohen's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh3iW4I39DI. Sure there's some mistakes, but that spiral sequence along with the music (around 4:30) :love:.

What are your favorite warhorse programs that actually make you happy to hear the overused music?

kiara_bleu

On the Ice
So with all of the (justified :)) hate for POTO, Carmen, etc., I thought I would make a topic for us to discuss our favorite programs set to terribly overused music. The music is overused for a reason no matter how tired we get of hearing it, and sometimes it can result in very beautiful, magnificent programs.

Based on the sound of the music alone, my favorite warhorse is Romeo and Juliet. I love the portions of it that everyone uses and rarely get tired of hearing it. For me, one of the most memorable R&J's is Sasha Cohen's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh3iW4I39DI. Sure there's some mistakes, but that spiral sequence along with the music (around 4:30) :love:.

What are your favorite warhorse programs that actually make you happy to hear the overused music?

Agree with you about Sasha's R&J, I think only she got the drama of that piece just right. I also loved her costume.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This season: Samantha Cesario Carmen :love:

In General: Anybody skating to the Pas De Duex!!!

Favorite Sasha Warhorse: Swan Lake

Last edited:

SkateSkates

Medalist
I loved almost all of Sasha's warhorse programs, especially her Rach 2, Swan Lake (Tarasova version), Maleguena, and R & J.
Mao's Swan Lake is also a favorite of mine.
D/W POTO
Arakawa's Turandot

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Rudy Galindo's Swan Lake, 1996 US Nats. I still tear up every time I watch.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Plushenko's Carmen is just so awesome, especially at Salt Lake where he just went all out, I'll never get tired of watching that! :points:

Also his Bolero, the costume makes no sense whatsoever, but it's a beautiful program. I also love Liza's too, especially with the 3A!

I suppose been new to watching figure skating I'm not as sick of the old warhorse music as others, my only issue crops up when three people skate to one piece of music in a row! :laugh:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Plushenko's Carmen, for sure.

Liza's Bolero.

AnaBM

Rinkside
I'm not sure if Turadot was a warhorse before them but Shen/Zhao's LP is the best one for me. Everything in that program is perfection .

I liked a lot Yuzuru's R&J cut of music and am I the only one who actually liked Weaver/Poje's Four Seasons? Please say no :eek::.

Other ones I love are I/Z's SD, Shizuka Arakawa's Turandot (even if the Olympics one is a bit cold), Yulia's Schindler's List, Yuna's Les Mis and V/T's Masquerade <--- I remember someone saying it was a 2nd class warhorse? Not sure what it means but I love it :love:.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I'm not sure if Turadot was a warhorse before them but Shen/Zhao's LP is the best one for me. Everything in that program is perfection .

I liked a lot Yuzuru's R&J cut of music and am I the only one who actually liked Weaver/Poje's Four Seasons? Please say no :eek::.

Other ones I love are I/Z's SD, Shizuka Arakawa's Turandot (even if the Olympics one is a bit cold), Yulia's Schindler's List, Yuna's Les Mis and V/T's Masquerade <--- I remember someone saying it was a 2nd class warhorse? Not sure what it means but I love it :love:.

I loved W/P :) but I still prefer Chan's 4 seasons ;)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh, is Schindler's List considered a warhorse?

Of course, then, Joshua Farris.

Layback11

Record Breaker
Oh, is Schindler's List considered a warhorse?

Of course, then, Joshua Farris.

If it is, Yulia's 2013-14 LP. Also loved I/K's Swan Lake-one of the few programs I vividly remember watching during the Olympics.

Tanka

On the Ice
Iand am I the only one who actually liked Weaver/Poje's Four Seasons? Please say no :eek::.

No. )) I liked it a lot and since I was in Shanghai I can confirm that the audience liked it as well. Actually, it was my favorite program of the event.

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
Sasha did a mean warhorse in general, but I've always thought her R&J was THE R&J to which all other R&Js are held to. Yuzuru won the OGM skating to that music and as soon as I hear it I always go "SASHA!"

I also enjoy S&D, most iterations of it have been fun.

Oh and karne I didn't consider Schindler's List to be a warhorse, but if so--Josh Farris, oh my! What a step sequence!