Gracie Gold debated skipping Grand Prix | Golden Skate

Gracie Gold debated skipping Grand Prix

lyndichee

Medalist
I am sorry to hear about how Boston Worlds defeated her spirit. I don't expect much from after seeing that FS at Japan Open but I really do hope that she can find the joy in figure skating again. Frank and Lori should give her more autonomy in Olympic season and choose music that she can relate to. I'll even put up with Shake it Off as a short if it makes her feel happy to skate.

futurepupdoc

Rinkside
This makes me sad....I am however hopeful that Gracie can find what makes her happy. She is a wonderful champion who deserves my support for whatever she wants to do. If she continues to want to compete I hope she finds the joy in her sport she is looking for. Go Gracie and make your dreams come true.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She sounded pretty upbeat in the Icenetwork podcast I listened to today. Hopefully she has begun working through her disappointment. She didn't look too good at Japan Open, but hopefully she's improved since then. I really wish her all the best and will be cheering her on at SA.

moriel

Record Breaker
hopefully she doesn´t stick to that logic =/
If she doesnt compete, how will she know she is good enough to compete?

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Honestly, what a depressing title right before Skate America is about to start. I hope she finds a joy in skating again soon and isn't hard on herself.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I am not very surprised about this, since it is pretty obvious motivation is the main problem for Gracie.
I believe if Ashley were not on the podium, Gracie wouldn't feel so defeated. The opposite personality of Ashely's, who also has an upward momentum, probably put enormous pressure on Gracie too, since she has been 5th, 6th, 4th at Worlds a number of times. What makes Boston's experience more "disastrous" for her?

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope Gracie can put this behind her. She should skate for herself, not for Frank or Team USA or anyone else. She has so much talent. She just needs to let all the expectations go and find the "passion to skate."

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I am not very surprised about this, since it is pretty obvious motivation is the main problem for Gracie.
I believe if Ashley were not on the podium, Gracie wouldn't feel so defeated. The opposite personality of Ashely's, who also has an upward momentum, probably put enormous pressure on Gracie too, since she has been 5th, 6th, 4th at Worlds a number of times. What makes Boston's experience more "disastrous" for her?

Certainly a bronze medal would have been nice, but it doesn't change that the event was one she could have won with two solid skates. Gracie performed brilliantly in the SP and had a pretty nice lead when you consider how many women skated well. The LP was, objectively, a disappointing performance, no matter the final result. Everything was lined up perfectly: skating in her home country, a SP lead, and jumping passes and spins that she can do in her sleep. She wasn't able to deliver a level near her best so I think it's fair to call it a disappointing/disastrous event.

amethyst star

Rinkside

Probably because she was in the lead after the short program, and Worlds were held in her home country. In other competitions (Nationals) she normally came from behind after a rough short program. Being the leader after the short program, Gracie was in great position to not just win a World title, but also win her first Worlds medal and be the first U.S. lady in a decade to win a Worlds medal.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
What makes Boston's experience more "disastrous" for her?

Um, she was leading after the short program? And then finished off the podium? I don't claim to be a psychiatrist but I can see how an athlete would see that as particularly "disastrous".

I felt very bad for her after Worlds. I hope she lights it up this season.

LRK

Record Breaker
I listened to the podcast, and I don't know what the issue is. Gracie thought about skipping the GP - and then decided not to skip it. Maybe she needed to step back a while - and hence her other activities during the summer; because of which, as she states, she isn't exactly where she wishes to be preparation-wise. But then she decided that going straight into Nationals without a prepatory GP season wouldn't be the best idea, and that she'd rather "go through with the process" and do the requisite training, even if the results aren't optimal. Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I listened to the podcast, and I don't know what the issue is. Gracie thought about skipping the GP - and then decided not to skip it. Maybe she needed to step back a while - and hence her other activities during the summer; because of which, as she states, she isn't exactly where she wishes to be preparation-wise. But then she decided that going straight into Nationals without a prepatory GP season wouldn't be the best idea, and that she'd rather "go through with the process" and do the requisite training, even if the results aren't optimal. Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

So does she skip Grand Prix or she does not after all? I am confused. It's disheartening and unsettling to read that this Boston disappointment still haunts her.

Last edited:

LRK

Record Breaker
So does she skip Grand Prix or she does not after all? I am confused. It's disheartening to read that this Boston disappointment still haunts her.

No, she's not skipping it.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
But then she decided that going straight into Nationals without a prepatory GP season wouldn't be the best idea, and that she'd rather "go through with the process" and do the requisite training, even if the results aren't optimal. Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

I haven't listened to the podcast so I'm not sure what the context was of the bolded statement. However, describing competitions as a process one must go through sounds like someone who isn't very passionate about competing.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i don't follow gracie closely. Of course, I see her in the GP and the big events. However, I read these boards often and everyone talks about headcasing Gracie.

Sounds to me that she still need help in that department if a bad performance at world gives her a substantial depression, to the point that she considers not skating the GP season. Someone please send her to a therapist and if she has one already, get another one because clearly, she still needs help.

I hate when potential is not fulfilled simply because the wiring is not properly laid down.

frida80

Record Breaker
Reading this was pretty upsetting. I know gracie is a perfectionist, but this is much greater than that. I expect a competitive athlete to come back even more determined. This is not normal. She needs to see a professional.

LRK

Record Breaker
I haven't listened to the podcast so I'm not sure what the context was of the bolded statement. However, describing competitions as a process one must go through sounds like someone who isn't very passionate about competing.

At the moment the Ice Talk page link doesn't seem to be working, sadly - otherwise I would have linked to it here; I think it's best for people to listen and make up their own minds. I cannot speak to Gracie's level of motivation at the moment - but maybe it's something she simply needs to work through, and decide what it is she wants and how much she wants it, and find her fire again.

I just don't think that her considering skipping the GP due to a lack of preparation - because of her summer activities such as her travels (which it definitely sounded to me as if she needed; to step back a while) - and then deciding that doing the GPs before Nationals was still a better idea, is a big deal, personally.

Sydney Rose

Final Flight
Gracie was upbeat throughout that entire podcast. She had a wonderful summer doing photo shoots for John Wilson Blades in England, traveling to Ireland with her mother, to Japan with her sister and so on.

She made the Grand Prix series sound like a not-very-important event to her. Whatever.