Gracie Gold debated skipping Grand Prix | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Gracie Gold debated skipping Grand Prix

Biellmann

Match Penalty
I can understand her disappointment. It was a perfect opportunity in Boston to win a world medal. But it was not meant to be. What i learned in my life is: i didn't get what i wanted - that's because there is something better out there, waiting for me :yahoo:

She has many years time to get more medals, even world medals, she just needs a good plan :confused2:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It might have been better if Gracie had skipped the GP season if she's not mentally or physically in shape. If she has more disasters like the Japan Open or 4CC's the judges might just finally decide to drop her. She's right at the edge as it is right now with the judges who are probably about ready to give up on her ever getting it together at major championship events. A skater of her talent should have tons of championship medals but she doesn't have even one measly medal. Even Polina who hasn't even won a GP medal has a 4CC gold.

andromache

Record Breaker
Poor Gracie. As an overanxious neurotic perfectionist who obsesses over my fear of disappointing people, maybe she's my "spirit skater"?

It seems like Gracie has always been an athlete, first and foremost. She's an athlete in a sport and results matter to her, and matter even more because of the pressure put on shoulders due to circumstances. She's usually in great shape, training and training like her job, doing clean run-throughs like they're nothing. Then when competition comes, the nerves destroy her. If they don't get to her in the SP, they get to her in the LP.

Even though she wants to win for herself and for the people around her, she doesn't get a thrill from the pressures of competition like many skaters do, and she's not an artist or performer who wants to create something new and beautiful or entertain the audience. She needs a reason to be out there on competition ice besides the desire to win. I think the desire to win is excellent drive for natural competitors (Plushenko being the most extreme example), but that desire can be distracting, overwhelming, and headcase-inducing for others.

She skates her best when she feels she has to fight for it, but you can't always win by coming from behind or being an underdog. Ashley Wagner is sort of similar....but I think Ashley always feels she has to fight for it even when she's leading or the favorite (and Ashley isn't often a favorite). Plus, Ashley has the benefit of being a performer for the audience, which provides motivation outside of winning.

People can't control their neuroses, so I certainly don't blame Gracie for hers. She's handled her disappointment with grace (lol) and a surprising amount of honesty. Maybe after 2018 she'll retire, and quitting skating will make her realize how much she misses it and she'll come back. Her comments now make her sound rather burned out from the constant pressure she puts on herself.

ETA: I've always been Team Frank and Lori, but I think Gracie needs a coach who is going to motivate and inspire her, make her enjoy training and competing. Frank's most successful students are the skaters who had motivation in spades. As for choreography, the material isn't the problem, but Gracie needs a choreographer who is going to pull out her inner performer. I think how a choreographer works with and teaches a skater and the choreographer's chemistry with the skater is more important than the material for that. Gracie, IMO, may be better suited with someone more fun.

Last edited:

JMJ2015

Rinkside
Doesn't Frank not really care for the Grand Prix? I seem to remember an interview of him where he says as much. I have no idea how to find that interview though. I just thought maybe he has suggested Gracie not consider it so important to maybe give her more time to focus on nationals and worlds.

mrrice

Record Breaker
It might have been better if Gracie had skipped the GP season if she's not mentally or physically in shape. If she has more disasters like the Japan Open or 4CC's the judges might just finally decide to drop her. She's right at the edge as it is right now with the judges who are probably about ready to give up on her ever getting it together at major championship events. A skater of her talent should have tons of championship medals but she doesn't have even one measly medal. Even Polina who hasn't even won a GP medal has a 4CC gold.

It's not "Only" Gracie's talent that raises expectation, it's her legendary coach and choreographer. Gracie, Frank, and Lori all have huge reputations and I am truly surprised that Gracie has Zero International Championships as a Senior. 4CC, was hers for the taking and she choked. Competing at an elite level is not for everyone and Gracie might be sick of it after all these years. Michelle took the GP season off one year ( I don't remember which one ) but I remember them asking her if she was ready and she said, I've been doing this all my life and "I'm ready to roll."

Michelle skipped the 2003/2004 GP season and was not expected to win nationals 2004 as Sasha was the favorite going in. She did win the title over Sasha in 2004 for her 8th Title.

Last edited:

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I don't see a problem with Gracie sounding upbeat in the podcast, that's just professionalism, is she supposed to be dreary and sad?

Gracie isn't my favourite skater and I'm constantly frustrated by how she underperforms, she reminds me a bit of Yuna Kim in that they don't like competition very much except Yuna Kim obviously knew how to deliver. Brian Orser used to tell Yuna that pressure is a privilege, which is true, to have so many people interested in you and rooting for you is not something every skater gets to enjoy. I hope that Gracie finds a therapist or some way of boosting her self confidence and finds passion in skating again. She's too talented to leave the competitive world without a major title/medal.

KatGrace1925

Medalist
I think she'll be fine! She seems so laid back and relaxed in this interview which is different for her. She seems to really be excited about the season and just going out and skating this year instead of worrying about the results. I think that is what she needs right now and I wish her well this season.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Well, I think Skating America will be somehow crucial for Gracie's "recovery". If she is on the podium and above Ashley, it's good; but if she is off the podium and skate poorly here, I think she might even drop her second GP event. Skating at home, even her hometown is not necessarily good for her.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Gezz, Gracie believe in yourself, if someone who once dropped clubs 5 times in a competition like Rita Mamun can become OGM then why not Gracie?

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Her comments now make her sound rather burned out from the constant pressure she puts on herself.
imo others' pressure combined with her own is more well...pressing

moriel

Record Breaker
As a sick perfectionis myself, sometimes i feel that she did it the wrong way. Instead of chosing something she just plainly enjoys, she seems to have chosen something she (and people around her) thought she could be the best in (which is true). This way, her only reward is in winning, and it kinda makes it hard and painful =/

deedee1

Record Breaker
I feel for her. :sad4:

It was World Team Trophy in 2012 when I watched Gracie skate live for the first time https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQh4zMQDLSI, and she was a JOY to watch. :yes: You will find how thrilled I was while watching her skate in my small report on WTT in the Archives 2011-12 season:
<2>

When the second group of the world's top ladies got onto the ice, the temperature in the arena got higher with audience's HUGE expectations knowing this one was the last comp of the whole WTT! , thus partly feeling sad on the fact it was about to end very soon...

First to skate was Adelina.
So gutsy of her to come in 4th in the free, but I was a bit disappointed because she did not skate as big as her SP two days ago. She appeared 'rushed' into everything; jumps, spins, and choreographies...I rather blame it Tarasova for the music choice for her free; Liebestraum just does not suit her skating. I did much prefer Bolero as a program for Adelina.

Then came Ashley, the main dish of the day!

She ROCKED THE HOUSE! and BIG standing ovation!
I'd much prefer her Black Swan at US Nationals, but still a great skate. Congratulations for winning the free, Ashley!

Btw, I love her programs so much this season. The best two programs, SP+FP combined, along with Akiko's and Carolina's for me this season. Wish her the best for a podium finish at the next Worlds!

Next to skate was Gracie.

What surpised me the most was she did NOT appear hesitant AT ALL to skate, right after the audience went crazy upon her colleage's (=Ashley) great performance. She attacked everything and did her job done in a cool manner. Such a shame about the pop on her scond 2A.
I loved the 'delay' in the air on her toe jumps!

Let me assure you, all skating fans in the US, Gracie is the STAR in the making.

Then Kanako.

Sorry about her missing most of jumps. I kind of anticipated befoerhand, though... Prior to the Worlds in Nice, her team changed the strategy and moved her 3T+3T into the second half of her Free for bonus points, and it backfired her a big time at Nice and here...

I love her musicality and ability to sell a program.
OTOH, I really hope she will hire a jump coach this offseason to correct her weird jump technique, before it gets too late. She gets < and e marks in the free at every competitions and that worries me.

Sad to say but I have a small complaint on skaters in general developed under Big Mamma Machiko over the years; e.g. Yukari, Mao, Mai, Kanako, Shoma Uno, though they are all lovely skaters in their own ways, and I admire them for that.
Bad techniques, however, shall cost skaters in point-wise in the long run, and most of all, bad techniques may evantually lead them to potential injuries or retirements at younger ages, you know.

--------------------------
(cont'd)

I am no expert at all in this sport, just a no-name casual fan, thus probably I should not say it but one best coach in the world may not be the best for all skaters in the world. Because I do miss Gracie when she burst onto the scene. She wasn't as sophisticated as she is now, but she attacked, with massive speed and huge jumps, no hesitant, with joy, and most of all, she did skate so much care-free.

I sincerely hope Gracie soon finds her joy for skating again. Gooo Gracie! :hap10::hap10:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What makes Boston's experience more "disastrous" for her?

Gracie said in late 2015 that if she came in 4th at Worlds again, she would feel like she "didn't do anything."

After she won the SP, everything was set up perfectly for her to be WC and be "the one" who ended the US ladies' drought: the home ice, the 2+ point lead, the triumphant win at nationals. There really wasn't anything she could point to afterward, except her own inability to do what she does every day in practice. That would be a lot for anyone to work through.

When she concluded, per this article and her SA interview, to go "through the process" ... meaning GP season, on to Nationals, etc... I thought she might mean that the process of day to day skating, aiming for one thing, then the next, is where she finds joy. The daily experience of exercising her craft, so to speak.

That said, I think it would be great for her to find a reason to compete other than 1.winning, or 2. doing her jumps well. That reason might be 1.for herself, 2.for the joy of skating; 3. for the performance of the program; 4. for the audience; 5. for improving her expression. And more. There are many pathways available to her. I tend to think Frank's insistence "just do your job" is rather limiting in that respect. It may not be what inspires Gracie.

But she sounded well on her way and upbeat, in any case. We all may be surprised by her this week-end. She may rebound and be sky-high again.

Last edited:

TGee

Record Breaker
, I tend to think Frank's insistence "just do your job" is rather limiting in that respect. It may not be what inspires Gracie.

I've noticed that, in more than one interview, Frank has spoken about how challenging it is to have great skaters reach their potential consistently in competition.

Going out on a limb here, he seems to be a really great elite level coach technically, but there have been many of his top skaters over the years who have faced psychological challenges. Bit late at his age to adapt...

One wonders if Gracie might be better served by seeking a coach that fits her needs from that perspective, if that is the dimension of her skating that is keeping her from her goals. But I don't know who in the US that would be, or if she would consider a radical change of scene.

Last edited:

tulosai

Record Breaker
When I see some of what she says in certain interviews, I honestly wonder if it wouldn't be best for her mental health for her to just retire. This really isn't something I'm trying to say in a flippant or judgmental or negative toward her way, but it's something I really do think about and I wonder if she thinks about. There is a wide world out there outside skating, and while perfectionist tendencies will of course follow her there as well, the real world just is not set up in this artificial 4-minutes-and-nothing-else-you-did-to-prepare-matters-at-all-plus-you-can't-correct-any-mistakes-do-or-die kind of way. She is a intelligent and lovely person, there is no reason for her to keep doing this if it's not giving her joy.

TGee

Record Breaker
When I see some of what she says in certain interviews, I honestly wonder if it wouldn't be best for her mental health for her to just retire. This really isn't something I'm trying to say in a flippant or judgmental or negative toward her way, but it's something I really do think about and I wonder if she thinks about. There is a wide world out there outside skating, and while perfectionist tendencies will of course follow her there as well, the real world just is not set up in this artificial 4-minutes-and-nothing-else-you-did-to-prepare-matters-at-all-plus-you-can't-correct-any-mistakes-do-or-die kind of way. She is a intelligent and lovely person, there is no reason for her to keep doing this if it's not giving her joy.

Well still wondering why, with Gracie, the conversation seems always to be about retirement, walking away, rather than trying out another training situation...

Patrick Chan took a break to try to rekindle the joy, but in the end his coaching situation turned out to be at least a significant part of what was getting in the way for him...Seeing his joyful vibe at Finlandia with Marina Zoueva, and his true pleasure and sense of support from the Arctic Edge team, one wonders if something similar might work for her.

By that I mean Mike Slipchuk, Skate Canada's high performance director's reported guidance for Patrick after Kathy resigned.....Spend some time on her own in another environment away from Frank, to figure out what kind of coaching support she needs at this stage in her development as an athlete.

BTW while not advocating for Marina, IMO she might be super for Gracie too.

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
Well still wondering why, with Gracie, the conversation seems always to be about retirement, walking away, rather than trying out another training situation...

Patrick Chan took a break to try to rekindle the joy, but in the end his coaching situation turned out to be at least a significant part of what was getting in the way for him...Seeing his joyful vibe at Finlandia with Marina Zoueva, and his true pleasure and sense of support from the Arctic Edge team, one wonders if something similar might work for her.

By that I mean Mike Slipchuk, Skate Canada's high performance director's reported guidance for Patrick after Kathy resigned.....Spend some time on her own in another environment away from Frank, to figure out what kind of coaching support she needs at this stage in her development as an athlete.

BTW while not advocating for Marina, IMO she might be super for Gracie too.

Gracie worked with Marina for choreography when she was still with Alex; no idea what their relationship was like, however.

I think Kori could be another good fit, as I imagine it would be a VASTLY different environment/presence for Gracie. Then seeing Frank every so often to tune up her jumps, since it obviously isn't technique that has led her astray.

Khoai

Match Penalty
At some point I wonder why she is so blessed with talents but cursed with such bad mentality.

desertskates

Medalist
I really, really hope for her sake, she has a good outing at Skate America, but I'm just not feeling very optimistic about it. I'm starting to feel like this poor girl is carrying a very heavy burden around.