2017-2018 Team China update | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Team China update

Eclair

Medalist
So I discovered that Xiangning Li's new programs are already on her wiki entry https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li_Xiangning

Did she skate here? Her programs are allowed to be "leaked", because she is still considered a B team member hence no need to be "protected?":confused:

no a lot of programs are already leaked. Zijun is also known to skate to 'east of eden' and 'Galaxy' (tweeted by Jackie Wong) weeks ago. Peng and Jin's LP to 'Butterfly Lovers' is also known for some time. I don't really understand why not announcing their music is so important at this point either ... But your paranoia is taking overhand if you think of Xiangning being treated unfairly. There has never been any reason to believe that.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I don't really understand why not announcing their music is so important at this point either ... But your paranoia is taking overhand if you think of Xiangning being treated unfairly. There has never been any reason to believe that.

Perhaps the skaters themselves would like to choose the time for announcing their programs, and therefore, the federation chose to support that by asking that no one leak information specifically from the test skates? (Also, if athletes receive negative feedback & decide to change their programs, they may prefer not to have had the initial choice as fodder for public discussion). Just plausible. Not all U.S. and Canadian athletes share their music selections until after Champs Camp. It is nice that an audience is invited for the one in China.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Good to know Xingning is doing well, but I am not a big fan of Zijun skating to an overused music, or S/H.

actually, zijun's program music has also been known for quite sometime, it is even published on the first page of this thread long time ago.

Chinese Fed emphasized specially donot leak Pair's and Boyang's music.

Also, Xiangning is training together with Zijun and Ziquan, in the same ice rink under the same coaching team right now, there is no special treatment for anyone.
She also get choreo from David Wilson, and according to Fan's who watched open skate, her program's music editing is the best, has the most naturally smooth transition between music pieces.
They actually has some opinions regarding music editing of many Lori's programs showed on this open skate.

Figuring

Rinkside
My friend told me that PJ recieved best comments artistically both in SP and LP. The audience respond enthusiasticly. A interesting detail Is that a audience near her who was not familiar with figure skating mistook PJ as the no.1 seed. The tango SP Has many good details. Peng looks awesome while Jin Is not as impressive as he was in the SP of last season. The step sequence Is not as impressive as other parts, So she Hopes Lori will make some changes.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
My friend told me that PJ recieved best comments artistically both in SP and LP. The audience respond enthusiasticly. A interesting detail Is that a audience near her who was not familiar with figure skating mistook PJ as the no.1 seed. The tango SP Has many good details. Peng looks awesome while Jin Is not as impressive as he was in the SP of last season. The step sequence Is not as impressive as other parts, So she Hopes Lori will make some changes.

Not surprising considering Lori's comments here:

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2017-08/04/c_136499198.htm

yana666

Spectator
All Zijun, Xiangning and Ziquan are A team members and all of their programs are allowed to be leaked. Xiangning and Zijun's grograms have been revealed for somtime. Zijun posted a clip of her free on her Weibo and Xiangning performed her short program at an open ceremony in her hometown Qiqihar several weeks ago.

Tastetherainbow

Medalist
So, according to some Chinese fans they were surprised that S/H is using the FS piece now instead of at Beijing 2022. I'm not sure what piece people are referring to, but it better not be that piece that S/Z is best known for. Anything but that piece. If S/H skates well then their program will only be "just as" iconic in the best case scenario, but will be considered as lacking otherwise.

It seems like out of all the pairs P/J is the only one blessed with interesting music selections this season, probably because the fed thinks they have no chance at the Olympics or something. Granted, performance and choreography will be key, but still...

Fun trivia: S/H's FS piece beat the other finalist, which is..... CARMEN. :drama:

Also, I hope that after this conservative wave due to the Olympic season S/H can continue to explore new themes and bring that sass and attitude back to their SPs. That's what makes them so different and exciting to watch compared to other pairs :love:

Nika09

On the Ice
Also, I hope that after this conservative wave due to the Olympic season S/H can continue to explore new themes and bring that sass and attitude back to their SPs. That's what makes them so different and exciting to watch compared to other pairs :love:

This!
Seems Olympic agitation just took all the unique character away from them. Me either hope THEY will be back next season, as coolest pair of the field, and will not become "traditional Chinese team".

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So, according to some Chinese fans they were surprised that S/H is using the FS piece now instead of at Beijing 2022. I'm not sure what piece people are referring to, but it better not be that piece that S/Z is best known for. Anything but that piece. If S/H skates well then their program will only be "just as" iconic in the best case scenario, but will be considered as lacking otherwise.

What's S/Z signature piece? Being a S/Z fan, for me there is more than 1 :laugh:

klutzonice

Rinkside
Thanks, yqs!
I have no expectations - I am waiting to see what the Chinese team will surprise me with, though some programs are already known. What I am hoping for is that Han Yan gets programs better suited to his style than the ones he had the last few seasons - sorry but not a fan of those. On the other hand, I am curious to see what Zijun Li's programs will do for her - I was a big fan of her using a Chinese song last year, one of the best programs of hers I've seen so far; too bad she's not keeping it (I think?).
Completely off-topic but I recall that several seasons ago, I liked the performances of a Chinese skater named -I believe- Yuhang Guan. I haven't seen him in competitions for quite a while though. Does anyone know if he's retired, injured...?

I was curious about Yuhang Guan you mentioned, so I searched him up. Turns out he competed in the 2017 Universiade! And his coach is Shuguang Jia, Han Yan's former coach. He seems to be quite a developed skater, and I'd love for him to be part of the Olympic stage - does China have 3 spots for the mens event?

There is a link to his 2017 SP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfREB22oLGg
And his 2017 FS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uknVr-9oYYA

Edit: His programs at the Universiade are exactly the same as the ones from a few seasons ago. Looks like he hasn't competed in a while!

maldoror122

Rinkside
This!
Seems Olympic agitation just took all the unique character away from them. Me either hope THEY will be back next season, as coolest pair of the field, and will not become "traditional Chinese team".

I don't really see how skating to "Hallelujah" makes them a "traditional Chinese team". Hallelujah offers a different style from both the sassy fiery Spanish Romance of 2016 and the quirky Blues of this year, so I think this is an exciting change. Considering how expressive they are as well as their attention to details, I think this short program could be emotionally even more impactful than Bridge over troubled water. I do hope their LP isn't also along the soulful, lyrical lines though.

Nika09

On the Ice
I don't really see how skating to "Hallelujah" makes them a "traditional Chinese team". Hallelujah offers a different style from both the sassy fiery Spanish Romance of 2016 and the quirky Blues of this year, so I think this is an exciting change. Considering how expressive they are as well as their attention to details, I think this short program could be emotionally even more impactful than Bridge over troubled water. I do hope their LP isn't also along the soulful, lyrical lines though.

It's not just about Hallelujah but "going save" in Olympic season. And it's not S/H personality/style as I get to know them. But, once again, I hope it's for this season only.
Well if rumors about their LP are true, it's another warhorse I guess

AnCho

Rinkside
I really love team China pair skating, ever since I watched Shen/Zhao and Pang/Tong winning Olympic performances back in 2010. I am again impressed with the current pairs, especially Sui/Han. I also like the other pairs. question: did wang/wang join the test skate day? I also like this pair skaters but I didn't seem to hear that much info lately about this pair. Thank you in advance all!!

Figuring

Rinkside
I really love team China pair skating, ever since I watched Shen/Zhao and Pang/Tong winning Olympic performances back in 2010. I am again impressed with the current pairs, especially Sui/Han. I also like the other pairs. question: did wang/wang join the test skate day? I also like this pair skaters but I didn't seem to hear that much info lately about this pair. Thank you in advance all!!
No, she Is injured.

AnCho

Rinkside
Thank you for the update on wang/wang. It's a real pity to hear that she is injured :( . Hope they can be back on ice soon. Sending all the positive vibes for wang xuehan for her speedy recovery!!