2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating | Page 180 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
Yep, pretty good analysis. I agree with you on most of it. The program itself isn't very enjoyable to watch.

Still, I do think that this girl's skills were good. She's slow but I don't think she has to be. It'll be interesting to see if she has potential for more.

The girl you linked definitely has very beautiful skating and speed. It certainly is a more enjoyable performance to watch at this moment.

But hm, Polina Borovskih(sp?) in addition to technically losing to the girl I linked 2 weeks ago(the girl I linked was skating above her age group), she also lost to another 2011 born girl in that same tournament. Interesting, I'll give her a look as well.

I also can advice you to check sometimes this blog. There are a lot of gem-girls. I'm still angry how he could give A+ only to Tarakanova, and just A to Scherbakova and B to Kostornaya. What a crime! But overall very interesting.

atsumiri

Record Breaker
I also can advice you to check sometimes this blog. There are a lot of gem-girls. I'm still angry how he could give A+ only to Tarakanova, and just A to Scherbakova and B to Kostornaya. What a crime! But overall very interesting.
B to Kostornaya :eek::eekn:
it's really a crime!

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
We lost again the second incarnation of radiofan: topmodel. :disapp: Let's hope he will join to us again as zagifan or something like this.

matcha

Medalist
1) She wore a tiger costume (fits to the music theme) which I don't think is revealing. It even has long trousers. The dresses with short skirts reveal much more in my opinion.
2) Girl is what age? 15/16? I don't think there is a problem with wearing this type of "suggestive things" (how people apparently call it) at that age (I repeat, I don't think this costume is revealing).
3) I wouldn't wear a tiger costume as an adult so I don't think this costume is mature either :D
4) Yes, the program was weird but I would find it awesome if this is the music she likes and listens to in her free time - seems cool to me.
I know you don't have a problem with it, I just wanted to answer to the allegations :)

Not to rehash, but I believe the crux of the issue was the quote by the choreographer/coach (?) on what qualities in Alina they wanted to portray. The main being "sexiness". She's 15, there's no need to sexualise her. The sexualisation of children and teenagers needs to stop. Just look at everything that is currently going down in Western media.

Resa

On the Ice
Not to rehash, but I believe the crux of the issue was the quote by the choreographer/coach (?) on what qualities in Alina they wanted to portray. The main being "sexiness". She's 15, there's no need to sexualise her. The sexualisation of children and teenagers needs to stop. Just look at everything that is currently going down in Western media.

You probably see her too much as a mindless puppet that doesn't know what to do and gets told what to do by mindless people around her. She is not 10, she is already 15 and I think she likes the outfit and she knows and can handle any supposed "sexiness". With 15, people can already think independent and with reason and consequences.
It's nice that people are alert of the possibility that there is unwanted attention from some persons but most of the time it's really over the top (I'll say it again, it's a long trousered tiger costume that happens to have a similar colour to her skin).
On another note: Why the candle? :scratch2:

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
Alina had a candle too. But geez, I didn't realize both had it. A team thing? What's it for Eteri, literally burying the competition? :biggrin:

This is really strange. Now I'm wondering about Zhenya's exhibition program for GPF in Nagoya. Maybe something with a shovel 🤔

madison

Record Breaker
You probably see her too much as a mindless puppet that doesn't know what to do and gets told what to do by mindless people around her. She is not 10, she is already 15 and I think she likes the outfit and she knows and can handle any supposed "sexiness". With 15, people can already think independent and with reason and consequences.
It's nice that people are alert of the possibility that there is unwanted attention from some persons but most of the time it's really over the top (I'll say it again, it's a long trousered tiger costume that happens to have a similar colour to her skin).
On another note: Why the candle? :scratch2:
I think Daniil G. said the Ex is about the 'Priestess of fire'. Therefore the candle might signify the fire.

tars

Record Breaker
If all 15yos around the world acted like average 15yo Russian figure skaters and were under the same coaching/parental scrutiny, world would be a better place.

Google 'twerk' and please stop going after one program of a very talented choreographer created for a senior skater. :rolleye:

moriel

Record Breaker

Umm there is nothing wrong for a 15 years old young woman to wear whatever she want, and to look sexy and do a sexy dance/skate ex/whatever if she wants to.
It is age appropriate.

For instance, it would be wrong if a 10 years old was doing such a program.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
I agree, this whole issue is way overblown. 15 even is the age of consent in numerous countries already. And that program or costume really aren't even that bad. Wanting to "be sexy" is quite normal for girls that age. Sheesh, I'd understand if it was something really bad but I've seen much worse by far younger girls in other sports, even.

moriel

Record Breaker
I agree, this whole issue is way overblown. 15 even is the age of consent in numerous countries already. And that program or costume really aren't even that bad. Wanting to "be sexy" is quite normal for girls that age. Sheesh, I'd understand if it was something really bad but I've seen much worse by far younger girls in other sports, even.

I dunno, tbh my grandma moved out of her parents house at 15, to work and live by herself.
Her mom married at 15.

While we can discuss the maturity and all, there is nothing wrong with girls wanting to look "sexy" at this age.
Not normal would be a 40 year old guy to drool at her program, but then it is his fault.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I immediately thought the candle was supposed to be fire, because the music reminded me of tribal people dancing around a bonfire theme.
And the tiger outfit and Alina's character had nothing to do with being sexy to me; it is supposed to be a primitive theme— people in the jungle, tiger in the jungle, as close to nature as they can be. People in the jungle don't wear that much, and tigers wear nothing :biggrin:

The popular culture has too much success in crystalizing the association between animal prints and being sexy, making so many people fail to see other interpretations. :laugh2:

I think Daniil G. said the Ex is about the 'Priestess of fire'. Therefore the candle might signify the fire.

dante

a dark lord
Final Flight
Country
Russia
The popular culture has too much success in crystalizing the association between animal prints and being sexy, making so many people fail to see other interpretations. :laugh2:

You opened my eyes. All the discussion I was confused, how a Discovery-like theme can be inappropriate for a teenager.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
OH MY GOSH. Those skating skills are amazing. I can't believe she is only 6.

I agree. I am sure many of us have now or at one time 'lived' at the rink and have seen skaters from all ages. I am impressed by her concentration, her skating skills at 6 (!!!). It's great to see. She doesn't skate like any 6 year old I've seen and I've seen some really future talents.