2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating | Page 34 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
wait, what?!! Are not they the ones we always depend on for the live streams? :shocked: :sad21: What will we do now?

Latest news is that their negotiations about Olys are in progress :) So the prior information might be indeed a rumour

atsumiri

Record Breaker
wait, what?!! Are not they the ones we always depend on for the live streams? :shocked: :sad21: What will we do now?
as i've been told...... they're trying to receive some funding from the Government.
Most likely they will.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Oh, those Russians. Always keepin' it classy. :laugh: :sarcasm:

The most liked comment under recent "Sports.ru" article about Osmond sums it up quite nicely:

:laugh:;)

Can you blame them?

Russia has a huge history in ballet: Firebird and Swan Lake are their thing.

So for them seeing a more athletic skater doing a not so accurate Firebird or Swan Lake program is the equivalent of letting an italian judge a pineapple pizza or an american coffee.

I really like Kaetlyn Osmond, but she is not exactly Anna Pavlova on the ice.

/OT

Ender

Match Penalty
If only we have money for another kid of competition and any skater who can afford to go to the competition can participate in. I am sad to see the talks about "slots" and all. So many talented girls but such a few slots. It's sad to see skaters must represent a nation to be able to compete internationally.

tars

Record Breaker
If only we have money for another kid of competition and any skater who can afford to go to the competition can participate in. I am sad to see the talks about "slots" and all. So many talented girls but such a few slots. It's sad to see skaters must represent a nation to be able to compete internationally.
Afaik, money comes from attention. There are many national and regional level competitions in Russia (Russian Cup being the most prestigious), which are not very well attended. There have been a figure skating boom since Sochi among children, but from viewership standpoint it's still far from Japanese numbers.
This is some local high school competition in October 2016 with Rika Kihira and Marin Honda going against each other:
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4wr8pq
This is Russian Cup final and Anastasia Gubanova going against 11 top Russian juniors:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQIiLmCwdjk

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Can you blame them?

Russia has a huge history in ballet: Firebird and Swan Lake are their thing.

So for them seeing a more athletic skater doing a not so accurate Firebird or Swan Lake program is the equivalent of letting an italian judge a pineapple pizza or an american coffee.

I really like Kaetlyn Osmond, but she is not exactly Anna Pavlova on the ice.

/OT

I wonder if it has less to do with her build so much as her nationality. Pogorilaya didn't have the greatest Firebird program nor was she a spitting image of Pavlova but I guess it was acceptable because she's Russian? Whereas someone like Machida isn't even female and arguably has the best Firebird program in recent memory.

gmyers

Record Breaker
so Trusova is going to try jumping quad at the all competitions of the season :agree:
Guylayakova is going to add 3a during the season. But will not jump 3a at the 1st JGP.

This is how skaters get jumps! By actually doing them! So I like Trusova. The whole thinking that infects so many about doing a jump "if necessary" is so baffling! I want to know an example of skater that never did a jump but threw it in once at like worlds or something and landed it!

Lucky Star

Final Flight
I wonder if it has less to do with her build so much as her nationality. Pogorilaya didn't have the greatest Firebird program nor was she a spitting image of Pavlova but I guess it was acceptable because she's Russian? Whereas someone like Machida isn't even female and arguably has the best Firebird program in recent memory.

I can only speak for myself, but for me it has nothing to do with nationality. Both Anna's and Gracie's firebirds were ok for me, nothing special, but ok, it's sport after all, not a ballet. I also think that Firebird is more dynamic so you can make up for luck of balletic grace with speed across the ice and energy. The problem with Gracie, however, is that she paid a little to no attention to the music, Anna was better in this aspect, even though a bit messy. Alina is not particulary balletic skater, even though she feels the music well, but her look gives her an advantage: she is built more like a ballerina and has that classical beauty, also her Don Quixote FS constraction is very smart: all the jumps (rippon jumps no less, which also has a balletic vibe) are performed to the accents of the music, that gives an impression of 32 fouetes and is just wow because it's very difficult to do. I love her 3F-2-2 combination, it looks like she even rotates to the music. I assume her Black swan will be constracted the same way. Kaetlyn's program, however, didn't impress me at all. First because it's just empty, pretty much all she does between the elemets are crossovers and a couple of spread eagles. It's August, I know, and she can add more in-betweens during the season of course. And second, she is too heavy for a ballerina, and not just because of her built, but she is an athletic skater and lacks lightness. Also, I think she could have a better costume.
Back to being Russian, to me this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8ArPgt8H0A
is not okay, even though she is Russian. The program is messy and she is always in a hurry, I also don't like her arms.
And this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba0rQwS4WqU
was lovely

It has nothing to do with her nationality because Ashley's swan was accepted well. The problem is with the performance and overall interpretation of the music.

Ender

Match Penalty
I didn't like Matchida's firebird. Or I have to say I have never like a firebird skating program.
Having said that, ballet isn't skating so whatever they will do, there will always be some gap. I don't get why skaters aren't allowed to skate to Swan Lake if they don't have the balletic body type.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
It has nothing to do with her nationality because Ashley's swan was accepted well. The problem is with the performance and overall interpretation of the music.

It's August unplanned, give her a few months at least to work on the program/technique. I have no doubt she will make it her own version, and a program to remember.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Just found the video of Kaetlyn's "Black Swan" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9soTgFT_zA

The music sounds the classical Swan Lake to me. I'd say her makeup is very ballerina like, but the choreography is not good. When the pace of the music gets stronger and faster, she had some matching "crazy" arm movement. It looks rough and rushed rather than mediated/stylized frenzy like Ashley or Konstantinova's version. She should have chosen music similar to her last season's sp, flirty/subtly sexy.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
It's August unplanned, give her a few months at least to work on the program/technique. I have no doubt she will make it her own version, and a program to remember.

That's the key. It has to be HER version of Black Swan, not someone else's preconceived notions as what she should be doing. Being herself has gotten her this far.

Way too early to speculate either. I mean, if we ook Wild Rose at face value last year we wouldn't have imagined she would win Worlds silver.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Interesting is what Liza T is up to. There is not much of recent information on her but about her getting a driver's license. It is different from her former "arch rival" Radionova who keeps giving interviews. It's either Liza wants to mean business next season and just keeps low profile for a while or she gave up her Olympic ambition completely.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Interesting is what Liza T is up to. There is not much of recent information on her but about her getting a driver's license. It is different from her former "arch rival" Radionova who keeps giving interviews. It's either Liza wants to mean business next season and just keeps low profile for a while or she gave up her Olympic ambition completely.

Надеюсь, что второй вариант ее не затронет. Hope that the second part isn't her way.