2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating | Page 36 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I hope we get to see some of the second and third tier Russians for those of us not in the skating scene. I would love to see and sort of say farewell for Yulia, Liza, Adelina and Leonova if there time has come. Hard to believe Yulia is not a contender and finished at 19. We can hope for some miracle I guess. What a dog fight though with Evgenia, Alina, Anna and Elena and then a tonne of other potential threats. Of course I am very curious is Yulia in shape, healed and regained ehr jumps similar to Adelina and then has Liza regained her form. so sad how she just sort of withered away after a world title. Adelina, Yulia and Liza almost appear as one shot wonders. though you can tell they have more.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Hm, that does make me wonder. Would one as a skater prefer to be a one season wonder, win a title and then fade away kind of like what Sotnikova, Tuktamysheva and Lipnitskaya have done? Or would one prefer to have a longer and more consistent career without great accomplisments like what's happened with Radionova and Pogorilaya? In fact, perhaps winning the title so early deflates one's motivation for training and improving, which is unfortunate... I guess it didn't really affect Medvedeva, though.

I wasn't a huge fan of that SP by Nugumanova. It feels like her presentation hasn't improved as I'd have hoped. Hopefully it'll be better in an actual competition.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yulia was a bit more than a one year wonder though...she really began her rise in 2011-2014. She won every stop on JGP including JWC. She competed at the top levels she could with great results for the most part. I think from age 10-15 she was in full on Olympic mode and after Sochi she sort of burnt out but she had some really strong SP performances after that. I think she would make a great show skater. :)

tars

Record Breaker
Hm, that does make me wonder. Would one as a skater prefer to be a one season wonder, win a title and then fade away kind of like what Sotnikova, Tuktamysheva and Lipnitskaya have done? Or would one prefer to have a longer and more consistent career without great accomplisments like what's happened with Radionova and Pogorilaya? In fact, perhaps winning the title so early deflates one's motivation for training and improving, which is unfortunate... I guess it didn't really affect Medvedeva, though.
Hard to answer, because it's very individual question.
Still I feel like at least Sotnikova and Lipnitskaya are set for the rest of their lives: apartments, savings and popular names, what's maybe most important. They can train kids, make shows or even start in the politics. Julia would probably dethronize any Yekaterinburg mayor, if she wanted. :laugh:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Hard to answer, because it's very individual question.
Still I feel like at least Sotnikova and Lipnitskaya are set for the rest of their lives: apartments, savings and popular names, what's maybe most important. They can train kids, make shows or even start in the politics. Julia would probably dethronize any Yekaterinburg mayor, if she wanted. :laugh:

:laugh: Not just her. Many Russian Oly Champions and sport stars in the Duma ( Russian Parliament).

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Between her and Maria, the 3rd spot is going to be tough.

I cannot agree with this statement at this point of time. I would say that between Radionova, Pogorilaya, Sotskova, and Zagitova will be a tough battle to get 2 spots. In theory one could add Tuk into the picture.

What is the least certain is that Zagitova is the lock for the team spot. If we remember 2014-15 season there was a close battle between Evgenija and Sima. During the next season Medvedeva became the WC and Sima collapsed. How Alina will fare this season we have to wait to see.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
It'll be impossible to tell who makes the Olympic team until I see the ladies perform in competition. I don't think even the Russian test skates will help with my predictions.
Maria's recent interview was very interesting.
Evgenia: is her program this year really about being left behind at the end of the world? 😶
Looks like Elena's new coach has her working on SS.😀 Yes!! Elena is such a fun and diva personality (remember that Europeans press conference when she was crossing her arms and looking mad all while evgenia and Anna were next to her? LOL)

tars

Record Breaker
St. Petersburg Cup starts tomorrow:
Kostner vs Tuktamysheva vs Leonova vs Konstantinova vs Gubanova vs Sakhanovich and others... :drama:

For some reason tournament is closed for public. :angry2:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Speaking of that.....Is Marat Safin still in Politics? He was a 2 time Grand Slam Champion in Tennis. He was tall and dreamy.....http://www.newnownext.com/wp-content/uploads/backlot/images/safin.jpg

Now he's a politician.....http://img1.telestar.fr/var/telesta.../marat-safin2/940180-1-fre-FR/Marat-Safin.jpg

Oh...Safin :luv17:...he was really dreamy! :love: I think he is politician today. But Rodnina, Sikharulidze, Kabayeva, Khorkina, Valuev...and more ex athletes too..

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
For some reason, I totally forget Anna:scratch2:
I cannot agree with this statement at this point of time. I would say that between Radionova, Pogorilaya, Sotskova, and Zagitova will be a tough battle to get 2 spots. In theory one could add Tuk into the picture.

What is the least certain is that Zagitova is the lock for the team spot. If we remember 2014-15 season there was a close battle between Evgenija and Sima. During the next season Medvedeva became the WC and Sima collapsed. How Alina will fare this season we have to wait to see.

Grin

Medalist
Zagi can ruin the whole program after she makes a mistake. I wish her to be more calm when she performs

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Just discovered this video of Lena's recent training. https://www.facebook.com/figureskatingleague/videos/1240467589432975/

I feel she has made a huge improvement in skating skills.

I wouldn't be surprised looking at how Maria and Adelina improved on the artistry with Elena Vodorezova.

The thing is: will she keeps her consistency?

Zagi can ruin the whole program after she makes a mistake. I wish her to be more calm when she performs

Her FS is crazy difficult, you literally don't have the time to recover, it's basically 7 jumps on sequence starting with the most difficult combo in ladies figure skating.

But i think the experience will help her: last year she was coming from this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spSCkjzsVog

to this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAze1hwqeb8

In 8 months, and at the GPF and Russian Nationals she was already much more secure.