2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating | Page 35 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Trusova can make a splash that rivals Zagitova's last season. My concern though is how she adapts to Australia. Quite a big risk to start her international career like that. People say that during junior test skates she tried 4S successfully at the warm-up but fell during the performance.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Any information on Anna Tarusina? She was supposed to be at the first jgp last season but withdrew, right? How'd she do at Russian junior nationals?

tars

Record Breaker
Any information on Anna Tarusina? She was supposed to be at the first jgp last season but withdrew, right? How'd she do at Russian junior nationals?
She had a car crash while being transported to the rink at French JGP. After rehabilitation, placed 10th (180points) at junior nationals. Skated week ago at junior test skates, no JGP assignments yet.

mrrice

Record Breaker

Tuk looks beautiful!!!!! I can't tell you how much I'd love to see her make the team. Have their been reports on how she's been skating? She looks to be in great shape and after huge year in 2015, she has kind of faded from the limelight. Though I don't think any skater can beat Med, I'd love to Tuk make the team as she's been a World Champion. She was the skater who brought the Title back after a 10 year Gap after Irina won in 2005.

hanca

Record Breaker
She had a car crash while being transported to the rink at French JGP. After rehabilitation, placed 10th (180points) at junior nationals. Skated week ago at junior test skates, no JGP assignments yet.

She was very seriously injured. She had surgeires on her legs and I think even on her head. She did manage to return on the ice last season, but her results were not that great, which is understandable after missing so many months and trying to regain her competitive shape in such a short time. Hopefully this season she will get back to her top shape - we will see. Not everyone manages to come back after injuries. You know what happened Proklova - broken leg and then she never regained her previous level of skating.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does anybody know if the first Junior GP event will be live streamed?

Usually the ISU does a really high quality free stream on YouTube. The coverage is far superior to what they do with the senior GP.

Considering they've released this teaser I think we can count on Ted Barton and his amazing coverage.
https://youtu.be/ySNy9g98F7c

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
If only we have money for another kid of competition and any skater who can afford to go to the competition can participate in. I am sad to see the talks about "slots" and all. So many talented girls but such a few slots. It's sad to see skaters must represent a nation to be able to compete internationally.

At least they are part of a nation where figure skating is prominent enough and funded enough to send any skaters to international competitions. Yes, it's hard to be part of a country where the pool of skaters is so talented that invariably skaters don't get opportunities (even though they would slay were they representing countries where it's not as demanding to be national-team level).

It's harsh that some won't get to compete internationally, but at least they will be better skaters and challenge themselves more in a harder field... even if not everyone achieves the same end goal. Making it to the Olympics is an amazing goal, but more important IMO is being the best skater you can be and deriving enjoyment from the sport beyond getting accolades and the best opportunities.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Russians.....Which GP event is considered the favorite among the skaters? My favorite Gal Maria Butyrskaya used to say that her favorite events were Trophee Lalique and the NHK in Japan. Do their top skaters hope to get assigned to the Rostelecom Cup?

tars

Record Breaker
Russians.....Which GP event is considered the favorite among the skaters? My favorite Gal Maria Butyrskaya used to say that her favorite events were Trophee Lalique and the NHK in Japan. Do their top skaters hope to get assigned to the Rostelecom Cup?
It's interesting stuff with Rostelekom, because some Russian skaters love to skate home, some hate it, because of extra nerves. The audience adore their own, but is savvy and demanding at the same time. I guess, feds piercing eyes make it tougher as well.

Cherry blossom

Match Penalty
I hope Elena R :love: has a good season. She's had her ups and downs in the past ,but I believe she can bring it this time around! :thumbsup:

Cherry blossom

Match Penalty
Yeah, I don't think it's in the cards for Yulia or Adelina. There's just too many other competitive girls who can make the team. Anna flops? It's okay, Elena will take her place. Elena sick? That's fine, we got Maria, Alina, etc. Sadly, Yulia and Adelina have not proved themselves to be competitive enough with this DMV line of talent in recent years regardless of how much more I like them compared to all the rest combined. Both are young enough that we could see them come back in the future, but for the Olympic year, I think the battle is over before it's even begun. I definitely am biased and 100% hope I am wrong though. At this point, I just want to see Yulia skate again. I really don't care if it's at some D-list Russian competition or the Olympics. An Adelina comeback would be especially epic if she can somehow pull off the impossible upset again. Just imagine the meltdowns! So out of the three "veterans" (they're all still so young it's kind of laughable calling them that), I think Liza actually has the best chance of making it onto the team. Of course, I don't think she will, but I think she has the best chance relative to the two Olympic champs. In some of her recent photos, she looks really in shape. If she can get back the 3A and land it consistently, I think she makes the team. I wouldn't consider myself the biggest fan of her per se, but I really want it for her because she's had like the crappiest luck out of all the Russians with puberty/injuries and what not. Adelina and Yulia were able to weather the issues and make it to the Olympics in their careers, and I want that for Liza too. I think she is too talented to have never gone to the Olympics, and it would be such a shame if she missed again.

Well, the OGM favorite has rarely been as dominant as Evgenia has been for the past 2 seasons either. It's unprecedented really. I mean, I guess you could argue for Kwan but that's a bit irrelevant as she competed under a different system. Yuna in 2010 looked just as unbeatable, so that's probably a better example. In that case she won, not without a fight from Mao, but it still looked easy. IMO, Evgenia faces an even easier field except maybe Alina, as compared to what Yuna faced in 2010. On her toughest day, she's up against Alina, Anna (assuming she doesn't throw away the competition by going into her jumps face first like at Worlds), some still rising Japanese upstarts headed by Miyahara The-World's-Most-Impressive-Jumper Satoko, and yeah that's it really. Who else is there? Ashley? Yeah...I guess, if she's still the USA #1 at that point. Maybe the Canadian ladies will luck into a podium spot again if everyone else flops again like at Worlds but don't count on it. Unless she suffers some sort of career ending injury, Evgenia is going to be in Pyeongchang (I mean, if the country is still there that is) in February and can start booking her flight right now. And if she's there, she's going to win. And yeah, people are going to say like oh look at how Yulia crumbled under the pressure when she made a run at the OGM (which seeing the aftermath of what happened, I am somewhat glad she didn't win). Well, Evgenia is going to be older than Yulia was in Sochi and much more tested on such a large stage being the reigning World Champ for the past 2 years. I don't foresee any sudden mental collapse for her in the same way. Short of breaking a leg (literally), we're just waiting for the formal coronation to happen in Pyeongchang.

So...now that I've said my piece, watch as all my carefully thought out predications are systematically proven wrong one by one. It's going to happen. Just watch. Olympics will happen lol. Calling it now:

OGM: Gracie Gold
Silver: Li Zijun
Bronze: Alena Leonova

:drama::laugh:

Seruleane

Final Flight
It's interesting stuff with Rostelekom, because some Russian skaters love to skate home, some hate it, because of extra nerves. The audience adore their own, but is savvy and demanding at the same time. I guess, feds piercing eyes make it tougher as well.

Radionova seems to love skating at Rostelekom, and has mentioned that a few times in her interviews. I'm happy to hear that, though a bit surprised because I always thought she was more popular internationally than in Russia. Personally, I wish she would do Skate America or Canada again so I could actually afford to travel and see her! I'm actually not sure if any Russian skater has explicitly stated they don't like to skate in Russia? It seems like it might be more pressure, but also skating home has its advantages, and a win at home is always the best!

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
It may have something to do with her good results at Rostelecom Cup: in the year of Liza's domination, she beat Liza; in Evgenia's first senior year, Elena again beat Evgenia at home. The results both times could go either way. So I'd say Elena is favored at home.

Radionova seems to love skating at Rostelekom, and has mentioned that a few times in her interviews. I'm happy to hear that, though a bit surprised because I always thought she was more popular internationally than in Russia. Personally, I wish she would do Skate America or Canada again so I could actually afford to travel and see her! I'm actually not sure if any Russian skater has explicitly stated they don't like to skate in Russia? It seems like it might be more pressure, but also skating home has its advantages, and a win at home is always the best!

MelDee

Final Flight
It may have something to do with her good results at Rostelecom Cup: in the year of Liza's domination, she beat Liza; in Evgenia's first senior year, Elena again beat Evgenia at home. The results both times could go either way. So I'd say Elena is favored at home.

Radionova beat Liza at Skate America.